Prayers invited
  • Wendy and I were asked earlier in the week to provide music ministry for the funeral at our last parish we served in Oakland Diocese. The deceased was the lovely mother of one of our choral altos and the mother-in-law of our then bassist, who's now the teaching Fellowe at UCSac Trauma.
    We knew "mom" very well, as well as dad.
    Last night we heard that Margaret's husband, Jerry, a man's man from the "Greatest Generation," was admitted to a hospital in Berkeley with dehydration, fainting symptons.
    When we got to the East Bay this afternoon we got a call from our MD friend, son-in-law, that Jerry's condition was "touch and go" and that Margaret's funeral Mass would be indefinitely delayed.
    Margaret and Jerry are old-school Catholic, huge family with grandchildren, great grandchildren coming out of the seams. Please pray for their children, who having geared themselves to say good bye to mom, are now vigiling and praying over whether they will or won't have to do the same for their dad.
    We love coming to the Bay Area; so we don't at all feel like our visit was in vain. We get to see our middle daughter (who's BARTing in from the Mission District as I type.)
    But I cannot imagine the turmoil of our friends and their siblings, so I ask your prayers that whatever God's will is will resonate clearly in all of their hearts once an outcome is known.
    Thanks, everyone,
    CtL
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for all.
  • Kathy
    Praying...
  • Certainly- tons of prayers for such a generous family, and for you and Wendy, too.

BTW, have you been to St. Margaret Mary up there? Beautiful church, hired singers on big feasts, like upcoming Epiphany (Jan.6 in the old calendar).

If you wander to the cathedral, please say a prayer for the fine bishop there! :)
  • Mary Ann,
    Wendy and I visited there just today. After I decompress I'm going to compose some thoughts about it on m'blog.
    I could chant there all the do-dah day, though, that's fer sure. And as I took a photo of the cathedra I did, in fact, say a prayer for Bsp. Cordileone.
    I've gone to Mass at St. MM (up the street from my high school) a few times over the last 30 years. Didn't have time to stop on this visit. Just back home in time for tomorrow's liturgies.
    Family is bearing up; dad is still peaks and valleys. If he stabilizes they think they can bury mom either Jan 23 or 30. Can you believe the fortitude? (Fittingly I asked the docent at the cathedral if I could check the acoustic, so I chanted "In paradisum...."
    Au revoir fo' now,
    CtL
  • In paradisum... Charles, God bless your singing heart! That's beautiful.
    Please do let me know via email when you post about the cathedral- I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I'll keep the prayers steady.
  • Certainly.
  • Maureen
    Praying.