Looking for Magnificat
  • Could anyone point me to a nice, but not-too-difficult Magnificat setting, modern or older? I have a good choir, but limited rehearsal time to prepare it. Tone 1 would be nice, but I can fudge if necessary.

Thanks and have a blessed vigil of the Nativity of Our Lord.
  • francis
    I can set one to any tone overnight (now that I have nothing to do HAHAHAHAHA ... well not until Saturday's Vigil Mass and now that I have a chant font!) Which tone do you like? What about text? English (which translation), or Latin?

Found this one, which has a good division of strophes that one can apply to the int, flex and med.

download

By the way, I set the English to this hymn (I think the tune is Jerusalem)

" target="_blank">download

I have the organ arrangement if you want it ... let me know.
  • Francis, many thanks, but this is for a Traditional Latin Vespers. I'm looking for a good part-setting for choir. I have my chant schola and a good cathedral chamber choir helping out. I'm thinking about possibly doing the Pärt since I'm sure they could handle it. My only concern is that there are not that many rehearsals to work it. The Ren polyphonic ones I have are a little too difficult for this group, since the alto are the weakest section and probably shouldn't be trusted with a really independent part (like one finds in good Ren polyphony). My fallback is the Gregorian festal tone.

Best,
    Mike
  • francis
    Ah. I was wondering why you would need a chant version since there are so many. Are you looking for something more homophonic? With contemporary harmonies? When do you need it?
  • JL
    Francis, I assume you mean "homophonic". :)

There is a Viadana Tone I falsobordone setting here:
    http://www.muenster-musik.de/files/Via_MagI.pdf

The same site also has Viadana's Tone VII
    http://www.muenster-musik.de/files/Via_Mag7.pdf
    and Vecchi's Tone VI
    http://www.muenster-musik.de/files/Vec_Mag6.pdf

There's also a modern setting of Tone VIII by Craig KIampe here
    http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/9/9b/Magklampe.pdf
  • francis
    Lololololol!

Noel brought that to my attention. When I type on my iPod it auto corrects mispelled words and wasn't paying attention. I did start working on a simple satb setting a few months ago. If we have enough time you are free to use it. Are you shooting for Jan 1? If not, when? I could finish it today and you could do the world premiere. Let me know asap!
  • francis
    Wow... Love the Viadana. Gonna put that one to my choir.
  • francis
    Wow... All of them are nice.
  • Hey thanks. I'll look those over. Francis, yes to your questions. I have good singers in the cathedral schola, but they are very young and do not have enough polyphonic experience to work up a nice Ren piece in the time we have. I'll need to start rehearsing on Jan 7.

Best,
    Mike
  • francis
    What is your target date for performance?
  • Feb. 1 at 7:00
  • mjballoumjballou
    Michael - I applaud your caution with your singers. Too many directors take their ensembles right up to the brink of their abilities - and are then surprised when they fall over the edge in public. My motto is "we only do what we can do beautifully; there's next year for everything else."

Let us know how it goes.
  • MJ, well... I'm only now beginning to just that. My youthful exuberance is beginning to temper!
  • francis
    My choir did an amazing job on their concert prior to midnight Mass. They came light years in just 12 months. They are so excited about singing they don't even want to take a break for Christmas. And the schola was truly a highlight too. But I definitely hold to the same standards as MJ. Quality not quantity. They begged to something not yet perfected and I told them next week... maybe... We will see how it sounds.
  • Absolutely right. The challenge is getting to know your group so that you can make those calls. I know that I have been guilty of overestimating some groups' ability to work on their parts away from rehearsal, and I am not talking about untrained amateurs here... I've gotten much better at this regarding singers now.
  • francis
    It's a tricky proposition when you try to balance the pros with the slows. You gotta keep the pros interested enough to stay and at the same time not overwhelm the slows. I have lost some of the amateurs who THOUGHT they wouldn't be able to keep up when in reality, I never try to push ANYONE out who wants to sing, but sometimes they assume that I am after putting out the halfhearted. It just isn't the case. I even make mp3's with parts on CD that they can listen to in their homes, their cars, their iPods. There actually is no excuse for not knowing the part anymore. As a result, they often eliminate themselves (I think they feel a bit guilty that they expect to sing, but not do the homework as the others are willing to do).

The other side of this is that you can't let the drop outs make you (the director) feel guilty. You have to have a standard that is constantly progressively moving up and carrying them all along with it.

Many times they just want to play at 'singing'. But the choir now has a new standard that you must put some effort into learning the music before you sing it.

I have always held to the government adage where it SHOULD be employed... (in church and not in the schools)

No chorister left behind!
  • Yeah, I think we have all watched the less trained leave choir once the standards go up. I always tried to keep folks interested by watering down some parts, but occasionally a very talented singer would leave because of one of the following:

1. sopranos asked to sing something that was not a melody
    2. not enough "uplifting" music
    3. I insisted on regular rehearsal attendance even though they felt they didn't "need" to.
    4. Too much (usually just a little) Latin

I'm glad that I don't have to deal with this now. My biggest puzzlement these days is that I sing in a good choir (mix of local arts high school students, college students, and those of us elder folk who can keep up) but we still have trouble increasing the size of the choir (right now about 12). There don't seem to be any good singers out there who want a good group to sing in. I attended a Christmas concert at a non-denominational church over the holidays (not a megachurch) which had 60 in the choir with a good mix of parts and ages. What up?
  • francis
    I will wager the music in the semi-megachurch choir was not what we would call 'good' artistic or sacred music, yes? no?
  • Well, it wasn't praise music. It was a kind of film-score style composed by their music director - not much thematic content lots of texture and effect. They were well prepared and pretty well balanced.
  • francis
    Ah yes... Disney church music... know it well! That music does draw a lot of choralists. I was once offered a job in the late 70s to do just that in an Assembly of God church. They were offering 65k and bennies back then! Can you believe it?
  • Yeah, I kept hearing more Lion King than Christmas!
  • francis
    Its the circle of life! VERY IMPORTANT!
  • francis
    Has anyone ever performed this?

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/6/65/PaternosterSATB_klampe.pdf

It is really quite nice. I have a Sib and audio file if anyone is interested.
  • Those Viadana tones are quite nice. I'd want to do them alternatim, though, for variety's sake.
  • I researched a bunch of settings for my own choir this semester. I settled on a Guerrero setting for the first tone (his and Victoria's for all modes, both even and odd verses, are available on tomasluisdevictoria.org). Each verse is pretty straightforward - manageable at about a page long, but still nice. It only goes to 5 voices for the last verse. The verses alternate with chant.

Two other nice ones I found were by William Mundy (latin), and a very short, simple English version by John Sheppard. Finding editions for those could be more problematic - the Mundy is in the Gyffard part books if you have access to a library.
  • Did you try the Munday? The notational house style in the more recent EECM volumes (incl. Gyffard) is not exactly user-friendly. There's a nice anon. 3-part O Salutaris in Gyffard I : ATB as it stands, but take it up a 3rd or 4th and it would be a fine SAB for you tenor-challenged guys.
  • We ended up using the Viadana, which worked quite well.