Christmas in 1861 Philadelphia
  • Dear Friends,
    I'm starting a little earlier than usual to plan next year's Christmas Concert for our parishes. However, unlike L&Carols, or a cantata, we're going to explore what sorts of carols, Propers, polyphony, instrumental pieces, et al that were likely sung in Philadelphia, PA around the mid-19th century. The founder of our parish, Irishman Rev. Daniel Dade, was educated there and served at St. Anne's Parish in Philly prior to arriving in California.
    I have a fair amount of research completed about what was sung at our early parish liturgies and gatherings after its founding, and I have the Higginson books. However, I haven't really been able to devote enough time to referencing hymns from a geographical perspective.
    If someone knows a direction that I could be pointed towards in acquiring more information that is specific to our goal, I'd be greatly in your debt if you'd share it.
    CtL
  • G
    Can be of no help whatsoever, but what a great idea!

Kudos, (or KUH-doos, as someone I know pronounces it...)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Charles, unfortunately this sounds like a trip to Philly is in order. The diocese may have an archive that could help.
  • I have a Czech carol that was very popular in that time frame that was probably sung in a parish/parishes there...based upon St. John Neumann's presence. Will dig it out.
  • Starting in about the 1870s, the Baltimore Sun began listing all the music presented in the local churches on Christmas and Easter--usually a whole page's worth, with the names of all the principal musicians listed! At least 5 Catholic Churches would have an orchestra along with the choir. And while a great deal of the repertory would seem pretty awful to us (the Cecilianists had something substantial to reject), there was always a smattering of Haydn and Mozart, and the general scale and scope were quite impressive. Our current Catholic culture proves to be sadly impoverished when compared with these outpourings of skill and dedication.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I've got a book on old Catholic Churches east of the Mississippi and I'll check for anything there.
    Of course, now I have to remember to check. Remind me if I forget, Charles.
  • Good stuff, all. Keep them coming, please.
    Our Christmas Concert was full of "gaudete" last evening!
    DBP, that angle occured to me with our local newspaper as well. I've already found similar articles of that vintage in archives. They list EVERYTHING, including any and all people remotely associated with the Midnight Mass! And the reportage; people call me loquacious! I was born a century too late.
  • Many newspapers used to list Christmas musicaprograms. Perhaps this site covering the will be of benefit.

http://archive.olivesoftware.com/Default/Skins/CivilWarNB/Client.asp?Skin=CivilWarNB&GZ=T&AppName=2&AW=1261414454531