Liturgical Practices in Mexico
  • daniel
    Anyone know what the liturgical practices in Mexico are these days? I'm encountering nuns from Mexico (in habit) singing 1960ish folk tunes with religious texts (The Answer is Blowin' in the Wind) to guitar accomp. and priests from Mexico clapping hands, waving their arms to music in a Charismatic style, etc. Some of their Masses are unrecognizable, too. Is this pretty much how it is over there?
  • That dreadful hing has been imported to the states, at least here where I am working. The Spanish choir had NO idea that tune was by Bob Dylan- I was told it was a traditional Spanish song! LOL
    Donna
  • Perhaps the Cathedrals are better?
    Donna
  • Chant is alive in Spanish speaking countries as well.

And in this Archdiocese.

And then there is this schola:

La Schola Cantorum de Xalapa es un grupo coral que se ha dedicado al estudio e interpretación del Canto Gregoriano y la Música Polifónica Antigua, de Orden Sacro o Profano.

Schola Cantorum de Xalapa inicia sus actividades bajo la guía de su Director Fundador Maestro J. Humberto Robles Llanes, quien a finales del otoño de 1998, motivado por el entusiasmo de un pequeño grupo de alumnos y jóvenes profesores interesados en el estudio del Canto Gregoriano, emprende en el seno de la Facultad de Música de la Universidad Veracruzana este noble proyecto que comprende el estudio y difusión de la música coral antigua, así como el de la música contemporánea.

La primera presentación de Schola Cantorum se llevó a cabo el día 16 de mayo de 1999 en la ciudad de Xalapa, y desde entonces el grupo ha mantenido un constante paso en su desarrollo artístico, el cual poco a poco a través en sus presentaciones lo ha llevado a ganarse el respeto de un publico cada vez más sensible, conocedor y exigente con respecto a la música coral.

Actualmente la Schola Cantorum de Xalapa se mantiene como una agrupación coral independiente y se encuentra conformada por profesionistas en el campo de la música en sus diferentes áreas.
    El repertorio al cual se ha dedicado, se basa principalmente en la música sacra de diferentes épocas, sin dejar de abordar música coral de diferentes estilos

Schola Cantorum de Xalapa ha participado en diferentes Festivales como Junio Musical, Siglo XXI en Xalapa, y Quiero Ayudar a los Ancianos, así como presentaciones y Servicios Religiosos al lo largo del estado de Veracruz y los estados de Puebla, Edo. de México y Quintana Roo
  • Daniel, liturgy is pretty bad here, but I think the aberrations you mention are not all that common.

Joseph Mansfield
    Casas Grandes
    Chihuahua
  • JamJam
    Well, all I know is that every Spanish Mass I've ever been to (not many) has had a mariachi band playing for it. But those are all in the US, not Mexico.
  • I was serving as an interpreter on a farm selling horses to a gentleman from Mexico (well, Italian is closer to Spanish than East Tennessee English) and had the chance to ask whether or not they played guitars at Mass in the area in which he lived. He was horrified. "No, they play them outside at lunch after Mass but never in the church."
    Thanked by 1Claire H
  • Though I know that it is no one's intention to demean or diminish, but to generalize, off-the-cuff, that "liturgy" is bad, even if you have extensive experience in impoverished situations, could still be a stereotyping that benefits no one. And I'm glad that it was mentioned that "aberrations" aren't the norm.
    I know of a diocese in Mexico with an extremely orthodox seminary, chock full of young, dedicated novitiates, a great many of whom also attend the diocesan music conservatory where chant, polyphony and liturgy are well taught and learned. But within the city that houses both, there are scores of churches with what we would deem culturally unhealthy music at service. Does that seem all that different than what one would encounter here in the states? So, is the problem the music, or a gap between clerical and catechetical resources versus willing and abled personnel to improve the praxis?
    I also know of seminaries where graduates appear to have not been thoroughly taught the basic tenets of sound liturgical philosophy and praxis, and as ordained priests believe it perfectly normal, if not desirable that personal charisms are expected of them, and which they expect their musicians to also adhere to and infuse into the liturgy.
    Was it even a decade ago that the papal visit to commemorate the beatification of San Juan Diego in Guadalupe contained both moments of inculturation that would make many squirm, and other moments of sheer beauty and brilliance?
    Thanks to the more recent efforts of the Holy Father, I think that the pendulum is swinging back to the center in all areas where the Faithful still "bother" to attend Mass on Sundays. And the message is crystal clear: be MORE Roman Catholic, not some pale imitation of attributes that have some catholic roots or are foreign.
  • Charles in CenCA: Would you be so kind as to identify the "extremely orthodox" seminary in Mexico? If you prefer, go offlist and write me at jose@chattanooga.net. Thanks ... Joseph (in Mexico)