• St. Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Church seeks a part - time
    organist/music director to develop a program of Sacred Music. Under
    the direction of the Dominican Friars of the Province of Saint Joseph,
    Saint Catherine's serves as a territorial parish and the devotional
    Church for Memorial Sloan - Kettering Cancer Center; Hospital for
    Special Surgery; New York Cornell - Weill Medical Center; and
    Rockefeller Hospital. There are three weekend Masses; weddings and
    funerals; and occasional novena services. All inquires should be
    directed to the Reverend Jordan Kelly, O.P. at frjjkelly@gmail.com.
  • This position is a great opportunity for a person of faith, vision and tenacity. The person who comes to Saint Catherine's will be building from the ground up with a supportive group of Dominican Frairs. As the program grows, so will the salary. The Parish is part of an exciting renaissance of the New Evangelization with the liturgy as the center piece. Fr. Jordan Kelly, OP
  • matthewjmatthewj
    While I understand that there might be serious financial difficulties, one can't hope to attract anyone from out of the city (let alone out of the state) with the word "part" before "time." Perhaps if there were some sacrifices that could be made by the Parish to make it even a low paying "full," you might see more resumes coming in. The word "part," almost always means "full without pay."
  • But Matthew, it's hard to justify paying full time wages when the program is nothing but weekend masses, weddings and funerals...there is no choir. This wold be ideal for someone wanting to study at one of the NYC conservatories and have the chance to build a program. Surely in two or three years a program that could be built that would justify full time.

There is undoubtedly someone on this list who will find this position and its possibilites very attractive.
  • Hi, this is Father Jordan. I was a full time Church Musicians before I became a priest; I assure you we are not trying to be cheap in any way, shape or form. The pastor is making tremendous sacrifices to fund the Music Program. We are literally building from ground zero: building a music program, a congregation, a program of faith formation, and sound liturgical practice. I assure you, this is not "full without pay". The successful candidate will not be asked to do more than that for which they are compensated.Mr. Jones gives great advice! Fr. Jordan Kelly, OP
  • Remember, when you are talking about this position, you are talking about a job in what is the mecca for organists, NYC. I lived and worked there for almost 3 years, leaving only due to a strict invitation from the US Army. Hop on the subway to hear some of the revered organs and organists of the world and choirs.

I'd estimate that there are more top-notch organs, organists and choirs in NYC than the same area in any other place in the world.

Work out your pay so that is a housing allowance which makes it pretax in most situations...giving you more $ than if it were salary.

Get on the NYC funeral Mass circuit as an organist or cantor...

A chance to develop a program that could draw people from the entire NYC area to sing and hear Mass...

And, and this is MOST important, priests that want a program of liturgical music excellence.
  • I would love this position except for one major concern. I use to work for the Dominicans and every so many years (3 I think), they change pastors. So, in my past, one wonderful scholar pastor hired me and wanted a wonderful traditional classically based cathedral style music program at a major very large church, then 3 years later a new pastor and everything was dissolved and destroyed in favor of guitar / folk masses.
  • I'd politely suggest that you withdraw your comment...without factual information about the timing of rotation of clergy by that order and also factual information that would support the statistical probability of the arrival of a Dominican resulting in the dissolution of a traditional music program, it's not fair to this parish that, at this time, has two...count them...two priests that want a traditional program. From the parish blog one priest has just moved "downtown" after 2 years so at least one of these two is on his way in rather than way out.
  • With all due respect, sincerely I don't see how I have said anything here that was harmful, hurtful or warrant of being criticized. If I have, I apologize. However, that being said, I merely stated a fact in my own past work life experience with the Dominicans that would cause "me" pause. I support in many ways the Dominicans and it is fair and right for me to be able to express a normal, polite, proactive and logical concern. Might I suggest that ONE way of attracting and keeping the kind of musician that I am sure they would like, is through a contract that would offer job security WHEN AND OR IF a change in clerical leadership should happen, if ever.

I have examined this church's website and found it to be indeed a truly wonderful place with wonderful potential. I feel very confident that Fr. Jordan is very sincere and would be a great priest to work with as well as the other Dominicans there; especially since Fr. Jordan is a former church musician. Financially, I have found the Dominicans to be more than generous and very gracious.

I am merely suggesting that churches within the Orders, could help their situations by also considering the "benefit" of some extra degree of job security during transitional periods in their pastoral / administrative leadership.
  • CharlesW
    Some orders routinely rotate pastors and assistants every few years. It's simply a fact you have to consider along with other elements of a potential job.
  • I would be very interested in a challenging, yet not full time position - working in a Dominican parish! My wife and I lived in Charlottesville, VA, and absolutely loved our parish priests, and their deep theology, love for liturgy, etc.

Every parish has challenges, whether in NYC or Byesville, OH.