Wedding Postludes
  • Does anyone have suggestions on some postludes for weddings (besides the regulars e.g. Prince of Denmark's March, Trumpet Voluntary)? I always present a few options to the couple but would like to give some extra possibilities. Of course Mendelssohn's Wedding March is not an option.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Widor's Toccata
    Vierne's "Carillon" (from 24 Pieces in Freestyle?)
    what level of music are you "up for" learning?

Sometimes I just play "Joyful Joyful" and improvise a bit on it.

Also, I have a couple year's worth of Leupold's "The Organist's Companion," and usually the summer issue (which has stuff specifically for weddings) has at least a couple play-able but unknown postludes.
  • henry
    Handel's Hornpipe makes a nice recessional. You are asking about the recessional, right? Not the postlude after the recessional?
  • don roy
    the marcello psalm XIX as found in that excellent old concordia collection.
  • francis
    For something a bit dif, The Rejoicing has been a popular pick for the 20 weddings I played last summer. I think I posted my arrangement on the forum here somewhere.

O, here you go!

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/rejArrKoerber.pdf
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all of them.
  • G
    The "big tune", (or "pig tune"?) from the final movmeent of the Saint Saens Organ Symphony.
    St Anthony Chorale.
    The Rejoicing, as mentioned.
    HYFRYDOL with all the stops out.
    Jeff Ostrowski's Spes Salvi played at a good clip.
    Charpentier Te Deum.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • BruceL
    Any French toccata. Folks seem to especially like the Dubois one. Handel Hornpipe (or Allegro maestoso) from Water Music is a usual suspect. Almost any of the Mendelssohn Sonata "bright' movements work well. Vierne Sym. #1 Finale was played at my wedding. Any setting of the Te Deum would be very good, although many of them are tricky. The Reger one is easier than you would think, though...
  • Ah I like the Dubois Toccata!