Psalm arrangement in the English Liturgy of the Hours
  • mjballoumjballou
    In restless moments, I contemplate the way in which the psalm texts are arranged in the English Liturgy of the Hours - little sets of two or three verses. Why?

A review of Dobszay's chapter on the Liturgia Horarum in The Bugnini-Liturgy didn't discuss it. And that makes sense because in the Latin edition the verses are still separated. And of course, the Mundelein Psalter revives this arrangement.

Does anyone know the history of this "paragraph-like" arrangement? Of course, it forms the textual basis for the Meinrad psalms (and others composed in that vein).

Enlightenment will be gratefully received. And yes, M. O'Connor, I know you prefer the older breviary. (Just teasing)
  • ;-) Won't rest until it returns, preferably in a form pre-1962 (poor old Terce)
  • chonakchonak
    The Grail Psalms were published with a set of tones by the French priest Joseph Gelineau, SJ, for example, in this 1968 edition.

Each "tone" had four melodic patterns to be applied to the lines of text, so the psalms were published with lines grouped to make the application of those tones convenient.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thanks, chonak.

Now I'll blame it on the French. And the introduction to the 1968 edition explains the theoretical underpinning of this. Of course, this method also makes antiphonal psalmody about 50 times more difficult than using a modified Gregorian psalm tone. And while it hoped to restore some sense of Hebrew poetry, the singers are so occupied figuring out the proper melodic line that there is no opportunity to tend to the text.

Another good idea gone awry.
  • I just ignore the "paragraphs" and sing the English to the Gregorian psalm tones in the usual two-line division. Easy.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I do that as well, but many people regard the "paragraphs" as divinely inspired or some mandate of the Second Vatican Council. Now that I know the origins of the structure, I can have a useful conversation.
  • I'm pretty late coming to this discussion but here's my 2 cents. The paragraphs are called strophes and my understanding is that the grail psalter more accurately reflects the strophic nature of Hebrew Poetry. Mark Futato has a good discussion concerning this in this book. http://www.amazon.com/Interpreting-Psalms-Exegetical-Handbooks-Testament/dp/0825427657/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1326734394&sr=8-24
  • IanWIanW
    The 4 line scheme is a good idea during mass if the verses are to be interspersed with the response - every two lines would be too much - and need not be difficult if set ABAC or similar; otherwise (such as when singing the office), the 2-line tones make sense.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    We try to do the graduals as printed, but I found I just couldn't live with 122 for XRex C and Advent 1A:

''Jerusalem, built as a city| with compact unity.| To it the tribes go up,|the tribes of the Lord.| Refrain According to the decree for Israel,| to give thanks to the name of the Lord."

Yes, there was a brief discussion of whether it was licit to repoint...