Processional Hymns, 1537 - see the binding and clasps....
  • I thought it rather interesting that five-line staffs were used, instead of the four-line staff we've come to associate with chant. Does anyone know if this was common in the 16th Century?
  • Kathy
    What? Hymns in the Catholic Church? At Mass? Before the 20th century?
  • chonakchonak
    The martyrs-hymn that Prof. Mahrt's choir sang at the Colloquium Vespers was notated on a five-line staff, so I suppose this wasn't an unknown practice.
  • GavinGavin
    Must have been one of those loopy liberal Vatican 2 parishes, Kathy. Luckily, we all know better than them!
  • dvalerio
    The link posted leads us directly to the first line of responsory «Collegerunt pontifices», p. 143 in the 1908 Graduale Romanum, from the bessing of Palms on Palm Sunday. This one is no hymn! German neums are used. There are (as expectable) some differences in the melody to the one in the GR, but the piece is perfectly recognisable.
  • dvalerio
    Actually the book has no «hymns» in the sense usually given to the word, and is not intended for Mass; it is however a liturgical book, intended for processions, and much of what it includes may be found in 20th century editions of the GR (both EF and OF), assigned to the very same liturgical processions.
  • Isn't there a way of accessing items such as this other than these irritating and bothersome endless series of letters and symbols?
    Most of these irksome codes I usually ignore, but this one proved worth the effort.

This responsory is a truly interesting specimen. As for the five line staff: it appeared earlier than most people think. I have seen (and I'm sure many colleagues here have, as well) examples as early as the XV. century and, I seem to recall, even a few from the late XIV. century.

(Incidentally, while speaking of staves, remember to say a prayer for Guido - he said that people would be so grateful for 'his invention' that they would pray for his soul because what formerly took them ten years to learn they could now learn in two.)
  • G
    "Isn't there a way of accessing items such as this other than these irritating and bothersome endless series of letters and symbols?"

Do you mean your having to cut & paste the URL for the given link?

Or are you asking for live links?

I believe the poster can make the links "live" with... is it called "html code"?
    Some word or label you want the reader to be able to see

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G
    So that it turns out like this:

See this book of processional hymns

Forgive me if that wasn't what you were asking.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    Those links don't have to be so long. There is a free utility called tinyurl.com that you can use to shorten those long urls.