Upcoming multi-parish chant
  • Carl DCarl D
    We now have less than two weeks to go until we have the scholas from 3 Fort Collins parishes join together to sing a single Mass on November 15th. Actually, I found out that we can claim four parishes, because a gentleman has joined us from Greeley who is the "one person schola" for his parish.

If you want to read more of the story: http://sacredmusiccoach.com/wordpress/sacredmusic/gearing-up-for-the-big-event
  • Bravo, Carl! Carl, we are in the same situation with a Missa Solemnis at Our Lady of Perpetual Church, Rocky Mount, NC, 6 pm on 22 November. The parish's OF choir, the parish's 3-person schola (the gifted DM and her two talented sons), the parish choir of Sacred Heart, Dunn (the original indult parish of the diocese, my home parish), and Schola Vox Clara which I direct are going to combine. Vox Clara sings once a month with the OLPH family schola (by rehearsing together an hour before the Mass) but this will be the first time the parish choirs will sing a Mass together; they know each other because I've done Saturday chant workshops with them a few times, and the three of us directors are close. (I'm the Vigil's "utility musician" at my home parish, and work for Anglicans on Sunday mornings.)

The DM and I originally wanted our priests to hold a Missa Solemnis for the Feast of St. Cecilia, with all of the singers who presently serve at an EF in the diocese joining together to sing, in thanksgiving for our EF priests and all who serve at EF Masses, but since the Sunday outranks St. Cecilia, it will be the Sunday propers but 'in honor of St. Cecilia' and with these thanksgivings as the intentions. (Several of the EF presently offered are Low Masses or do not yet have a schola; Vox Clara serves the whole diocese and sings for the cathedral's first-Sunday EF which is a Low Mass and other places when asked.)

The repertoire chosen so far:
    All: Missa cum jubilo with Credo IV; Salieri, De profundis
    Combined scholae: the propers; Colin Mawby, Ave verum corpus; Anon., O Maria virgo pia
    I'm certain that a few devotional chants from the PBC will be in there as well when all is fully laid out..

Between the two scholae we also have a flutist, two violinists (the talented sons), a violinist/violist, and three organists, so we will also be playing some instrumental music, including a transcription I've done of Hovhaness' gorgeous "From the ends of the earth".

Be of good courage! We find that when we unite in serving Our Lord in the Mass, especially with good will, good humor, and devotion, our separate preparations are made sufficient in Him.
  • Carl DCarl D
    For those of you who have been following the progress of our community-wide chant Mass next Sunday, I've put an update here on my website. 6 days and counting, and we need your prayers to help us put our trust in the Holy Spirit.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think this is wonderful, Carl
  • Carl DCarl D
    Well, folks, we managed to pull this off! It was an absolutely wonderful experience, and we'll definitely plan on doing this again.

Here is my blog post on how it turned out.

Here are the recordings and photos from the event.

Prelude: If Ye Love Me (Tallis)
    Entrance: When In Our Music God Is Glorified
    Ordinaries: Mass XI, Orbis Factor
    Psalm, Alleluia: Composed by Dr. Joel Bacon
    Offertory: Ubi Caritas
    Communion: Sacris Solemniis
    + Adoro Te Devote
    Recessional: Salve Regina
  • Carl DCarl D
    We're putting together another Fort-Collins-wide (northern Colorado) chant Mass, tentatively scheduled for the second Sunday of Lent. If anybody's interested in participating, please contact me! More details will be forthcoming.

Here are today's thoughts on this endeavor.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Last night's Combined Fort Collins Scholae Mass was wonderful, again with the pervasive support of the Holy Spirit! Here are the recordings that I managed to capture.