Administrative Assistant
    Start date: January 2, 2010
    25 hours / week
    salary: $26,000.00
    health insurance and retirement benefit: $5,720.00
    10 working days vacation annually
    10 federal or floating holidays
    5 days annual sick leave
    The Administrative Assistant works with the Executive Director to provide for the day to
    day operation of The Hymn Society. Among regular duties are the maintaining of
    membership records, filling of book orders, and handling financial transactions including
    credit card transactions. A major component of the position is managing registration and
    and related duties at the annual conference each July. Attention to detail and accuracy is
    essential.
    The ideal candidate will have:
    • excellent interpersonal skills, both on the phone and in person
    • skill in problem solving
    • expertise in desktop publishing; word processing and spreadsheets; inventory and
    invoicing software
    • knowledge of accounting principles
    • musical training and knowledge of congregational life
    The position requires a 12 day period of travel each July for the annual conference.
    During that time, the assistant will be intrinsically involved in all facets of the operation
    of the conference, including both day and evening sessions.
    It is the policy of The Hymn Society not to discriminate on the basis of sex, age,
    disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or
    sexual orientation.
    Applications will be reviewed starting on November 9, 2009 and continue until the
    position is filled.
    To apply, email a letter of interest, resumé, and contact information for three professional
    references to:
    Deborah Carlton Loftis, Exec. Dir.
    The Hymn Society in the US and Canada
    dcloftis@gmail.com
  • Kathy
    I would just like to mention that I know Deborah Carlton Loftis through her work at the Baptist Theological Seminary in Richmond, where she has developed and taught innovative music programs for Baptist seminarians and other students. She is just now taking over as Executive Director of the Hymn Society, after being a cheerful leader in many areas including the unusually thankless job of indexing the Society's journal.

Deborah strikes me as remarkably pleasant and dedicated. I think that she would be a good person to work for.