Parish Memorial Mass ...
  • Dear Folks,

I am in need of some creative ideas for the following: Suggestion for a Parish Memorial Mass because 2009/2010 marks the 50th Anniversary of our Parish, the Memorial Mass will be for all those who have died since St. John the Baptist opened in 1959. Because there are so many names from 1959 to current it would not be practical to read all the names ... so my thought is this - as a special memorial rite:

Fives candles representing the five decades (other symbols suggested are welcomed)
    Each candle will be lighted in order of decade
    A representative from each decade will come forward and light the candle (and perhaps place a flower with the candle)
    Candle 1 - English person whose loved one died in this decade
    Candle 2 - English person (etc.)
    Candle 3 - Vietnamese (because they were integrated into SJB in the 1980s)
    Candle 4 - Spanish (because they were integrated into SJB in the 1990s)
    Candle 5 - Filipino (because they were integrated into SJB in the 2000s)
    As each candle is lighted, an antiphon, in Latin (or English from AUG), will be sung
    Then a prayer, in the language of the community will be said following the lighting

What suggestions, creative ideas, special and meaning thoughts do you have that would really speak to the faithful in such a rite. This would take place after the homily.

Again, thank you so much!
    Bob Grant
    Costa Mesa California
  • Carl DCarl D
    Very interesting idea, Bob. I would try to have heightened awareness around the issue of focusing on particular enthnicities, though - perhaps some people might be turned off or even offended. What about people who don't fall into these four categories? What about people who are sensitive to the difference between Spanish, Hispanic, and Latino?

I don't know the community, though, so maybe everybody is very tolerant of this issue. I definitely like the idea of having songs or prayers in different languages. You could have other ways to reinforce the diversity AND oneness of the parish - banners, etc.

I'd suggest also thinking about other dimensions of diversity, particularly age.
  • eft94530eft94530
    "creative ideas ... after the homily"

Does the GIRM permit this?
    Are you disguising the Prayers of the Faithful (which have their own requirements)?
    Such a "rite" might be better placed before the Mass begins.

If you are creating a shrine of some sort,
    why not ask the pastor if he feels comfortable about
    including the Funeral logbook from the parish safe?

Probably more than a few listed in that book have not been prayed for
    since the day their names were recorded.
    Sad but true.
  • Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

Now, the priests will take the material in hand and make the decisions as to how they will proceed. Will they make it a part of the general intercessions ... I don't know, it may be done before Mass.

Blessings, and I look forward to chatting again,
    Bob Grant