"100 Songs Every Parish Should Know By Heart"
  • This kind of shotgun approach to hymns for a parish creates a meal of specialties, but no meat and potatoes. Smorgasbord, a buffet. Music for everybody.
  • chonakchonak
    This list, although it contains some neo-Broadway tunes, would be a great improvement for many parishes.
  • Awful list. Pathetic. Makes Catholics look like dumbed-down evangelicals with eclectically bad taste.
  • I've seen a lot worse. I only hope that it's not listed in any priority. The parts of the Mass are all contained in there somewhere. I would add to them (the parts of the Mass) that the congregation should know them by heart in Latin(Greek) AND English.

When it comes to the hymns, though, I don't think there's much to be gained by singing them from heart. Many people need the visual aid of reading the words to help comprehension. Having hymns in the Mass, "proper" or not, means that the texts are important, and should be comprehended in order to enhance one's worship experience. Otherwise, the whole exercise is just background noise during the Mass.

I think the part about tunes, meters, and texts should be read by every PIP!