Weekday Offertory Antiphon?
  • G
    I have a feeling this has been covered here before, but for the life of me I can't find it.

How does one determine the most appropriate, (or find the proper,) offertory antiphon for a weekday Mass?

Our patron saint is not in the universal calendar, but we can celebrate it as a solemnity and transfer it to the nearest Sunday.

The English texts don't include an offertory, of course.

TIA for any advice.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • dvalerio
    Just check the 1974 Graduale Romanum (or its 1979 version with ancient neums, the Graduale Triplex).

If your patron saint is not there, just check the corresponding common. Actually you may always resort to the common in a saint's feast.

If you should tell me who your patron saint is, I can tell you what the corresponding offertory is (or any other proper you care for).
  • G
    Thank you. (I was thinking that resorting to the commons was it, but don't have much confidence in my instincts.)

He is St Gaspar del Bufalo.

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • dvalerio
    He has no entry in the Proper of the Saints. So here you have the Offertories from the Commons that, to the best of my knowledge, may fit St. Gaspar del Bufalo:

Saints: Benedic anima mea; Exsultabunt sancti; Gloriabuntur; In virtute tua Domine; Iustus ut palma; Laetamini in Domino; Mirabilis Deus; Oratio mea munda est

For those who practiced works of mercy: Exaltabo te Domine; Sperent in te qui noverunt

For educators: Levabo oculos meos; Veritas mea

You can find them all in the 1961 Graduale Romanum. They are all scriptural, so you can check a Bible to get a translation. I did not check for polyphonic versions, and am not the right person to know any extant English versions!
  • G
    Right, it is only an optional memorial, except for the Society.

I wasn't sure if one was simply supposed to take whatever would have been the offertory for the weekday that it would have been if not transferred, or the one for the Sudny displaced ... I"m making this all too complicated, aren't I?

Thanks again.

The awful part is, I'm not even going to get to use the text, we are an all- hymn-all-the-time parish.
    But I want to include the proper antiphons in the program, as a way of getting people to acknowledge the existence of propers. (Introit is "Lord, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure," and communion, "There is no greater love than this: to give one's life for one's friend," also both scriptural.)
    Is that passive-aggressive of me?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • dvalerio
    > I"m making this all too complicated, aren't I?

No.

> Is that passive-aggressive of me?

No. But unfortunately there seems to be no proper offertory for St. Gaspar del Bufalo, only commons. I guess you can choose one that fits him best.

> we are an all- hymn-all-the-time parish

Knowing the texts of the liturgy is a great help when choosing replacement hymns.
  • So at communion why don't you choose "No Greater Love" by Michael Joncas, which IS the proper?

The Entrance appears to be psalm 16, of which there are many hymns and songs readily avaliable corresponding to.
  • G
    "'No Greater Love' by Michael Joncas"

Don't know it, and I'm fairly sure it's not in our hymnal, (and I admit, I don't usually go out of my way to look into pieces by Fr Joncas.)

Erik Routley's "This is my Commandment" will be the communion.

Thanks again for your help, dvalerio, and for your suggestion, PxGioiaAmore.