A Manual for Church Musicians, 1964
  • A Missing Link: A Manual for Church Musicians, 1964

Like many others on this forum, I have read the liturgy documents of Vatican II and wondered how we could have arrived at our current musical situation based on what those documents say. I recently ran across a little book that helps explain the transition, a missing link. It’s “A Manual for Church Musicians,” published in 1964 by the Liturgical Conference, a prominent American group in the pre-Vatican II liturgical movement. The book does not have a single author, but nine contributors (including Omer Westendorf) and a preface by Paul J. Hallinan, the Archbishop of Atlanta.

In the first chapter opens by hailing the recently promulgated Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, and even more so, the American bishops: “It is to the shepherds of the American Church, however, that we owe the greater burden of our gratitude...” The reason given for this was the bishops’ action to implement the vernacular in the Mass and sacraments and to encourage experimentation pending the issuance of revised rites. These actions are characterized as a continuation of the Council’s action.

As far as the use of Gregorian chant, the authors acknowledge the ‘pride of place’ specified by the Constitution, but quickly note the “accompanying phrase ‘other things being equal,’” which they say underlines the pastoral concern of the Constitution. They interpret this pastoral concern primarily to mean immediate implementation of vernacular. They leave chant to monasteries, and disparage its use in parishes: “There is no need to fear that the chant will be lost, for the monastery will preserve it, whereas the parish never really possessed it.... It is the parish that is the first concern of the bishops, and intelligent participation the motive that underlies their liberal allowance for the use of English.” Previous efforts to promote chant were insufficient: “Some degree of participation was achieved throughout the Catholic world, but the barrier of the Latin language proved too difficult to overcome.”

The book extols the future glory of an “English High Mass” in which the directives of Pius X are modified: “The directives since 1903 remain in effect, save that the English language may be allowed; the promotion of the English language demands reinterpretation of former decrees, and the formation of a new, and authentic tradition.” In addition to Pius X’s criteria of holiness, goodness of form, and universality for sacred music, the role of music according to the constitution is further said to be communal, hierarchic, pastoral, and didactic. After this summary of music’s role, we read: “The vision of music as a utilitarian art, determined by consideration of the practical, is the beginning of the ‘Great Rediscovery’ of music, a time of creativity that will wed words with music once again, and possibly rival the period of the Gregorian chant in excellence.” While reading this book, one cannot help but ask, after this and many other statements: “And how did that work out?”

Many practices are proposed that today are the status quo: A simple melody like a Gelineau psalm antiphon for the ‘meditative song of response’ (recall this is 1964, so we don’t yet know the “responsorial psalm”); the three-fold Alleluia to replace the long melismatic chants of the Middle Ages; congregational music practice before Mass; the choir moved out of the loft; the cantor ‘using slight gestures of the hand”; the Creed is best recited; and so on. The chapter titled: “The Music of the Mass” reads like a blueprint for the four-hymn sandwich, although I must note this is meant for Low Mass, a term retained in this book. Suggestions are given for replacing the propers with psalms or hymns, and an appendix gives a short list of hymns for various seasons and occasions. Existing English hymns from Protestant traditions are recommended. Pieces from the then-new Lutheran “Service Book and Hymnal” and the 1940 Episcopal Hymnal are particularly pointed out as sources for both hymns and Mass parts.

This book fervently puts forth its program for immediate change: “To postpone the inevitable period of trial and adjustment until such time as a revised rite is available would be disastrous.” Another watchword is using only English for the Mass: “In principle, the English language must be maintained throughout the entire program of participation; as has been noted already, this will allow for unity of direction and continuity of practice.” Underlying this program is a sense that a new practice of English music can be substituted into the Mass, and everyone will move forward--not without hard work, and perhaps even a little ‘resentment’--into a new golden age. One thing the book does not do is to give any hint of the deluge to come with folk and contemporary music, nor of the sweeping changes of the 1969 Missal with its numerous options.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for posting this, David. It's another record of the follies committed in the name of reform.

That notion of the monasteries keeping chant in use is not working out too well, since the number of Benedictine and Trappist houses in the US preserving Latin plainchant in their Masses fell to almost zero by the 1980s. Even now I'd guess there are fewer than a dozen. There's probably a story worth telling in that too.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Amazing. They had no idea of the storm they would unleash. Probably they were confused about what were the changeable variables and what was the required foundation. Sounds like they believed that they could just change some words here and a tune there and no harm would come; quite the reverse. but surely we've learned by now that this amounted to a violent attack on the liturgical structure. Surely they did not imagine what would come of this, perhaps because they did not understand how inseparable chant is from the liturgy.
  • francis
    Yes, jt. Most probably out of ignorance which unfortunately is almost always rooted in pride which has been passed down generationally.
  • Chonak, I think you're right about the monasteries. Our local Benedictine house went all English in the 60's. Last I knew, they were singing the office in English to modern psalm tones and using a Canadian hymnal.

I'm puzzled when people say the Benedictine monasteries are paragons of liturgical practice, because my limited experience suggests otherwise. Clear Creek and Regina Laudis being marvelous exceptions.
  • This is fascinating. I had just chucked my copy of that book because I hadn't seen the connection. I just thought it was musical twaddle, and not worth my time reading. I love that it does show a missing link.

I just can't wrap my brain around how such dramatic changes could happen without nary a cry of protest (or the protests were squelched very easily). The time must have been ripe for a few apples to spoil the whole barrel? Sounds almost conspiratorial, but after listening to Msgr. Schuler years ago at one of the first Colloquiums, he had witnessed it, and even wrote some of the conversations down, because he was the Secretary of the Sacred Music Committee in America at the time (can't remember the exact title).

(Which, I have often wondered, were those notes ever published?)
  • rich_enough
    If you put yourself in their shoes in 1964, the mass had been celebrated in basically the same way for hundreds and hundreds of years. It seemed unchangeable, so that it was unthinkable that just changing some things here and there would not cause the entire edifice to come crashing down in a matter of a few years. Thomas Day gives you some sense of this mindset in his books.

I have spoked to people who have said that the years 1964 - 65 were really the watershed, that liturgically things changed in the blink of an eye - the vernacular, pop music, altars turning around, etc. - and caught many people off guard. One church musician related to me that sometime in the mid 60s his pastor told him that the next Sunday's mass was going to be in English - and this at a parish with a very developed liturgical program: an accomplished boys' choir, full Gregorian propers, etc. He was given one week's notice!

The lack of protest is indeed shocking form our perspective. Of course many people simply left. But it just speaks to the astonishing mix of ignorance, indifference, naive optimism - as well as trust in Church authority - that evidently was prevalent back then. I wonder - have things changed all that much?

Sam Schmitt
  • gregpgregp
    I think part of the reason for the "ignorance, indifference, and naive optimism" Sam mentions is the (probably eternal) lack of musical knowledge and education. I'm sure every one of us has seen this in our own lives (and not just in music): people who have no idea what someone does, and how they do it, and how complex it is, order changes - and the result is disaster.

Again, as Sam said, here was a liturgical tradition that was centuries old, and depended on people growing up in it and being exposed to it from childhood, and when that upbringing was severed (hermeneutic of rupture) there was no tradition, guidance, knowledge - just chaos.

One of Jeffrey's essays in his book talks about rebuilding the tradition from scratch, and that's exactly what we're engaged in now.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Liturgical reform clearly falls in the category of "be careful what you wish for."

The "Gleichschaltung" implementation of the 1960 reforms is hard to imagine today. While there were pockets of resistance, the powerful sense of clerical and institutional discipline that had been built up since the Council of Trent ensured that everyone followed the rules. When the new missal was promulgated, it was simply "the Old Mass today, the New Mass tomorrow."
  • Just wanted to revive this thread to point out an article by Susan Benofy from the March Adoremus Bulletin that describes the 1964 Manual for Church Musicians as part of a concerted "Parish Worshop Program" of the Liturgical Conference. Here's a link to the Adoremus article--it's in two parts:
    The Day the Mass Changed

Part of this program was to pass over the Council documents in favor of--presumably favored--commentators. Here's a quote from Fr Frederick McManus: "Father Godfrey’s article was written before the Instruction which appeared in October and yet it is valid now and will be as valuable in the future. The meaning of norms must be sought in the supporting reasons, for which we must look to the commentators (p. 87)."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i find this fascinating.
  • G
    In addition to Pius X’s criteria of holiness, goodness of form, and universality for sacred music, the role of music according to the constitution is further said to be communal, hierarchic, pastoral, and didactic.

What does "pastoral" mean in this context?

People often seem to use it nowadays to mean vaguely comforting or fulfilling the flock's expectations or preferences, (as in, it's for "pastoral" reasons that one allows appallingly inappropriate music or practices at funerals,) but how do you suppose they meant it here?
    I'm almost tempted to say, as the polar opposite of the way it is usually used today, that is, leading the flock precisely where they would not go left to their own devices and inclinations.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mahrt
    Msgr. Schuler's definition of "pastoral" was "for reasons known only to the pastor."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    As to things that happened during that time, I sometimes say, "You really had to be there." However, even if you were there, you still may not understand it. I tend to think that the Church's refusal and inability to direct and manage changes that were needed, caused some of the extremes. When the door was cracked a bit, the flood poured in. I know many want to look back at the pre-Vatican II days as some sort of paradise. It wasn't.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What we really need are memoirs of Pastors, musicians, and other people on the "inside" (even parish secretaries) from 1965 to 1975. Those would be some interesting things to read.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    I can tell you that it became difficult to find more "traditional" Catholic musicians in the late 60s into the 70s. Too many musicians went over to the other (NPM) side. The traditional Catholic musicians in the area left for greener pastures and more money in the Episcopal, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches. It was like an anti-intellectualism had set in. If you were a trained musician, you were not considered in the mainstream. The know-nothings had taken over in music and were quite proud of the fact that they knew nothing. The charismatic influence, and the influence of Protestant musicians who took jobs in local Catholic churches, didn't help matters any. For a period of time, we had a Baptist music director who did, suprise suprise, Baptist music. That's what he knew. He converted to Catholicism, but is still doing Baptist music in another state to this day. We were told we needed to listen to the young with guitars because they had something to say. Unfortunately, what they had to say wasn't always worth listening to. I was young at that time, too, but held to musical tradition without apology. Of course, it cost me to do that, but I have no regrets. The boat is turning, and it's getting better with Pope Benedict's efforts to return sacred music to the liturgy. However, there's still a long way to go.
  • Alcuin Read, somewhere in "Organic Development of the Liturgy," defined pastoral to mean: expedient. It made a lot of sense with my experience, as does Msgr Schuler's definition cited by mahrt.
  • dad29
    If you want another picture of 'church music' in the mid-1960's, go find a copy of "Our Parish Prays and Sings."
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • francis
    I second Charles' post. That is exactly how it went. I hid out in a "cave" for many years because parishes did not want the trained organist. Now it's going 180.