Solemn Vespers of our Lady followed by Solemn Benediction?
  • G
    Fr Hunwicke has requested advice on musical matters for Vespers on his blog (I am clueless and have nothing to offer, but I thought some of the readers here might. When my parish does "vespers" they sing Shepherd Me O God...)
    in Advent we should have Solemn Vespers of our Lady followed by Solemn Benediction.

In the cobwebby laden cupboard at the back of the Church, we do have a nice set of copies for the laity of Vespers of our Blessed Lady, produced by and in the inimitable style of the Society of Saints Peter and Paul. But what about the music?

Can any kindly reader point me in the direction of a musical version?

I mean, in English. We do Benediction in Latin, but Vespers in English.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    Interesting. We are doing the Christmas Novena (choral) with SB and we started to discuss vespers also.
  • francis
    OK

We are doing solemn vespers for the 21-23, but I do not want to have to point all the psalms! (or do I have to anyway) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(why isn't this easier! the church has been doing this a looong time, right?!?!)
  • Francis, when they changed the LOTH, it seems that the intention was that it would be only for a priest's private recitation. Just look at all the posts by folks trying to figure out how to realize this musically. I had to do this a couple of years ago, but swore off the modern version as a result. I do wish you the best!