Best route for getting rid of old hymnals?
  • Mike R
    I have some old Gather Comprehensives (first edition, about forty of them, all pew editions) that I'm hoping to get rid of as they haven't been used in probably close to ten years. Would eBay be my best bet on this?

How much could I expect to sell them for (they're in great condition - probably weren't in service for much more than five years)?

Thanks for any input. I hope this doesn't constitute a commercial post; I'm just trying to figure out what my options are, as the diocese I'm in is almost 100% OCP and no one wants them.
  • incantuincantu
    Might I suggest a sale price of $4.51, or better yet, a temperature of 451 degrees?

In seriousness, though, I have had good luck selling things on amazon.com, but you might have more luck putting an announcement in your local Catholic paper, diocesan e-mail list, or on a site like choralnet.org
  • CharlesW
    Gather Reprehensive? Let me see. Incantu had a good suggestion for temperature. You could seek out someone with a gray ponytail and a guitar around his neck. He would take them. ;-)
  • don roy
    i know eyes will roll when i say this but...
    the choir editions are good fodder for a contemporary group transitioning to a regular satb choir. the choral arrangements are actually quite decent (as opposed to ocp choral praise) and the arrangements for woodwinds tends to be nicely done. there are several nice "contemporary" pieces that actually follow basic part writing rules.
    what a concept!
  • don roy
    of course all that being said i could really get into roasting a few marshmellows...
  • Mike R
    Right. If they were Glory & Praise we'd have a big Newman Center bonfire, but if I could even get $2.50 apiece out of them, that would be $100 to go toward our music program.