Any Lutherans or Lutheran-employed out there?
  • G
    Can anyone give me the 10 cent version of the dust-up over hymnals in the past couple decades in the Missouri Synod?

I'm reading about the Presidents' These on Worship, and not catching some of the references to "worship wars" and books of various colors, but gathering that it might not be unlike what has gone on unofficially, (since we have no official Englihs language hymnal) in Catholic liturgical circles.

TIA

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    I had this all explained for you, with a complete history of Lutheran music from the pre-reformation to the LSB. Then I hit "add your comments" and the site had logged me out. So now I'm angry and all I can tell you is to go on Wikipedia and read.
  • RDZ
    G and Gavin

I have been a Lutheran organist and choir director for more years than I wish to count.
    I have also had a years appointment at a large Catholic seminary to be their organist and
    everything that was attached to the job, like train the cantors, etc. It was an eye-open-
    er, in many ways. I am very glad to have had the chance to work with them.
    The question being asked has no easy answer. It seems very strange to me that I have
    NEVER heard a pastor even talk about this "problem" in all the years that I have gone
    to church. If you ask them privately about this, you get some kind of a lukewarm
    nothing to a something to suggest that you don't need to go there. I have never had
    what I would call a definitive answer to the question. I think there are doctrinal
    issues here that everyone hopes will just go away, and that is just not going to
    happen. That being said, I have very close friends in the MS and I have even taken
    Communion with them on occasion. A lot depends on the Pastor.
    The question remains of the hymnal. When the Lutheran Book of Worship came out,
    the MS was to be a full partner in its production. Somehow at the very last minute
    things changed and even though their name in the first edition as part of the
    whole "authorship", they pulled out at the last moment. As far as I know, we never
    did get an honest answer to the reason. Again, it was just wind blowing over a lost
    grave. The bad thing was, many of us were hoping that this would be the beginning
    of a gradual joining together and the start of a dialogue to join the two branches
    of this tree. When the ELCA came out with the newest hymnal in 2006, as far as I can
    tell, the MS was not even asked about joining. Perhaps there was a polite letter
    that went back and forth between the two church bodies, but the PIP never heard
    anything about it. I really think the reason for the divide is more perceived in the
    minds of the Pastors than anything else. Otherwise, why can't they explain it to the
    congregations? Perhaps some of them don't really know or have had it explained
    to them fully? I am at a loss to explain it to anyone either and I can't seem to get any
    answers either.
    Regarding the new hymnal:
    Some people writing on this site seem to think it's the bees knees. but to us that
    have to use it every week it is really lacking every where. Why are there no page
    numbers in the Psalms? Do we really need 10 settings of the liturgy and why does
    the hymnal have hymns that are not in 4 part harmony? And talk about St. Haugen,
    we get the same drivel that the rest of you have to put up with. Then there are the
    two books the poor organists have to use for the accompaniments. You have to be
    "Arnold the Strong" to lift them on to the music rack and off. And the music rack
    does not hold them both at the same time. Then there are "introductions" to some
    of the hymns that you need to have a PhD in jazz rhythms just to get through. And
    of course there is no indication in the hymnal that any of this is going to happen.
    Even in some of the liturgical parts there are intros and the poor choirs or PIPs have
    no idea of what is going on. Some of the liturgies sound like the old soap operas
    that you used to hear on the radio years ago. The last hymnal that had any real
    scholarship behind it was the Lutheran Book of Worship some thirty years ago, and
    it can still hold its head far above lots in use today.
    My Brothers and Sisters in Christ, you have my prayers and sympathy for the jobs
    you do in the vineyards of His church. Everybody knows how to do our job better
    than we do. I really wonder if they would do it for what we have to do it for?
    Would we then get to make the same comments that they do? God chose very few
    of us to do this job, and some of us wonder why He chose us. I think He saw
    something there that we ourselves would never have seen. He also gave us gifts
    to spread His glory and Word that we could help be His servants on this earth. I
    can find no higher reason to do this work than "to the glory of God."
  • Practical hint: type up long posts in Word, then cut and paste. It saves the trouble mentioned above.
  • chonakchonak
    Gavin, I'm sorry to hear that your draft post was lost. One of the features in the new system is that it saves drafts of your text fairly often while you type them in. If there is a "My Drafts" button on the main forum page (above the top thread title), that should lead you to your saved drafts.