New Translations - What is the timeframe?
  • Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm having trouble wading through all the hype and vague information out there on the new translation of the Missal. Is there a pretty sure timeframe for this? In other words, assuming the final rounds of voting by the USCCB are positive, when do we expect to have the new translation required for use in America?
  • Not sure if this is public knowledge - so many things in the church are secret...also heard the Grail Psalms new version might have been approved by the Vatican by the NPM convention and have heard nothing since.
  • chonakchonak
    Some pieces are yet to be approved by the USCCB, in the bishops' November meeting.
  • The remarkable thing is that history is on hold in the meantime. We were putting together music for the English Mass at the colloq, and we were frustrated by the seeming dearth of good material. So of course Rice turned out a wonderful setting. but it makes me sad that this setting won't be useful after some date unless some other denomination out there manages to mistranslate things in exactly the same way at some later date. Moreover, the Mass we sing on that date will not be useful to participants after some period of time.

I understand these difficulties but why not just authorize the sung parts to be used today? why not let us post this material and get people going on it? It is ridiculous how we are all operating under these weirdo strictures that serve no purpose whatsoever. We are all obeying this bureaucracy but to what end? Will community somehow be shattered if this parish sings Lord God of Hosts and that one sings God of Power and Might? Does this endanger our salvation? the whole thing and the way this is being handled strikes me as petty and preposterous.