Gregorian Chant and calligraphy
  • I have desired for some time that our chant choir revert back to the traditional method of reading chant music. Instead of each member holding their own book, I wish to have large versions of the chant music on one large page so all members will read from one page.

Our music director has a friend who is a professional calligrapher who is interested in producing copies of chant music for us, but she is not familiar with Gregorian Chant. The calligrapher has asked for a scanned image with a description of colors and details.

Here is my reasoning and thought behind large copies:

1) My idea was to begin with some of the more common chant hymns that we sing regularly (Ave verum corpus, Victimae Paschali, etc.).

2) Thick paper like parchment or something else so they don't wear out too quickly.

3) Keep them in an artists portfolio for safe keeping.

4) Have the first letter of the chant a bit more ornate or "illuminated" than the rest.

5) Use an easy-to-read font, but something with a little character.

6) The large page would introduce a new visually artistic aspect to singing in the Chant choir, connecting the current schola to the ancient scholas by using a similar method.

Any other ideas would be helpful.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I always wanted to try this, because I feel it would help keep singers TOGETHER
  • francis
    Our schola performs with that type of choirbook manuscript. It works quite well as I use a pointer to where they are singing. It is fantastic for introducing rubato and accents that would be very difficult to do in directing. I highly recommend it to everyone. I use the digital version of the gregorian missal and simply print it on tabloid size paper at 200% or so. I will post the PDFs if you are interested in them.
  • chonakchonak
    Doesn't Dr. Mahrt have a large choir edition from the '50s?
  • I emailed Scott Turkington and Jeffrey Tucker earlier in the year asking if they knew of a very large copy of a chant hymnal, but they couldn't think of anything.

I'd like to just order them as we need them and maybe eventually have them bound into volumes. Maybe create one for Advent which would include the ordinaries and other Advent chants. Another for Christmas, and so on.
  • francis
    unfatmatt:

here is a sample from advent week 1
  • a1437053a1437053
    This is a great idea, one that's fermenting in my mind.

Ostrowski: Your family's other talents put to use here?
  • francis
    Unfatmatt:

I simply mount two of these tabloid pages side by side on a large piece of black gator board. You can use a stapler opened up so the staples don't get crimped which allows easy removal. You can use both sides of the board which holds an entire setting of the Ordinary.
  • A slight aside. When I took Theodore Marier's chant class in 1996, part of the daily homework was to copy out chants from the Liber Cantualis. We used 4-line music manuscript books and felt-tip calligraphy pens. Marier's comment: When you learn any other language, you don't learn to read only, do you? No, you learn to read and write at the same time, so that's what we'll do with chant notation.

Sure, it was extra work, but it gave a certain familiarity with the notation that reading only wouldn't give.
  • David,
    Has it been that long? At that time I would never have imagined that one day sorting and cataloging some of Marier's hand written manuscripts would be part of my responsibilites.

Btw, I still have my felt pen and manuscript book.
  • Carl DCarl D
    A simple question then... If people are sharing the same copy, then they can't scribble their own little notes and reminders and cues and such. Is that a problem?
  • chonakchonak
    David, was that the class held in the music room at the Cathedral?
  • francis
    Carl:

With our schola they also have a personal copy that they mark up and refer to during rehearsals and are able to take home. For the actual performance during liturgy we only use the board and as Jeff has eluded, it makes a big difference in a unified voice.
  • Yes, I think Dr. Mahrt's choir sings from these. I love the idea of getting people's heads out of their little private books, necks bent over and staring at a page. That's just no way to sing anything, much less chant!
  • chonakchonak
    Can anyone talk about the practical details (e.g., dimensions, printing methods)? Perhaps post photos?
  • Randolph, yes, seems like yesterday. I still have my chant notebook and calligraphy pen too. Are you preserving Dr. Marier's papers for an archive, or are you researching them? I'll bet there's some interesting stuff in there.

Chonak, this was the two-week summer course in Ward Hall at CUA.
  • IanWIanW
    Err ... that might be a problem for those of us whose eyesight isn't what it once was. Perhaps this suggestion is more a matter of antiquarianism rather than respect for tradition.
  • AOZ
    I can't imagine using this myself. I see more negatives than positives. It might have worked in the old days because that was all that was possible.

What happens, for example, if you, as a conductor, decide that something should be sung with a slightly different emphasis next year (assuming we're working on Sunday propers). You make a new copy? Or are these are wipe off copies? What if you change your mind about something out of necessity - because you need to adapt some breath mark or draw a little goofy picture as a memory device. Again, just wipe them away? A corollary - a choir member's putting his own scribblings on his own page should make him responsible for executing the line correctly. Everyone has a different way.

A large copy and a small personal copy seems redundant. And most volunteer choir members don't study their music at home anyway.

A final drawback, also mentioned above. Many wouldn't be able to see it. Also, it might obscure one's view during liturgy - and I'm not saying this because I'm worried that a choir member needs to "feel" that he is part of the congregation - it may obscure your own view of what you need to be paying attention to the action at hand. Depends on the choir's position in the church, or course. Granted, proper positioning of the thing could nullify this objection.

And if your pastor sees you using this, he might suggest a Jumbo Tron for the congregation.
  • IanWIanW
    And if your pastor sees you using this, he might suggest a Jumbo Tron for the congregation..

I've always associated the projection of words onto large screens in church with the sort of music I don't want to hear, let alone sing. This opens up interesting possibilities, though, for a parish in transition. Imagine the reaction from the Praise Music Group when they see the neumes projected up front, with a little ball bouncing along underneath the notes ...
  • miacoyne
    I think this is effective, and I'd use it only for practice. Once you practice together with this big music with everyone's focus on it, the advantage will be still there even when you sing from the book in the Mass.
    I'll ask schola put the same markings in their own book, with the pencil.
    The solution for wiping off markings and changes, how about put a firm clear plastic cover over the music? The pastic is attached to the board, and each music can be placed underneath. And once in a while change the plastic, when it's time?
    For people who cannot see well have to simply sit in the front, or just use the book, but eveyone else can still get the benefits of using it.

I'd like to learn how to make this 'big music.'

I use a board for the children, although only the words I write on it for them. (I marked accents, underline the syllables for more than one note/syllable - or sometimes have them find those while listening to the chant, etc)
    It really helps for the focus and singing details. Once they learn the words from the board and the melody by rote, I have them look at the music in their book and have them sing from it. Most of all, I think it helps developing habits of good singing posture and focusing.
  • francis
    AOZ

Have you ever tried it before?

I don't mark up the big copy. Our schola is quite small (5 or 6), and we gather very close to the score and it brings a unified sound that you cannot get from being in the usual "choir position" on the risers. I also like to direct by pointing at the notes. It is a natural graphic method for getting them to use the proper rubato at beginning and end of lines, and actually training them to see the intervals. Many times I think the volunteers are a bit "lost in the black" so to speak, and this keeps them right on track.

You should try it... it has benefits you might not have realized until you do.
  • The thing I'd like my schola to overcome is simply sight-reading every chant. Half of the schola members sang chant "the first time around" (before it was largely banished from Catholic repertoire), and know all of the chant by heart. Many of the chants we have sung (Quasi modo, Victimae Paschali, Ave Verum Corpus, etc) have stuck with our schola. I conduct it a certain way and the schola members have learned it that way. If they join another schola, they'll have to learn how to follow that director instead of everyone following the conductor in their heads with their noses buried in their chant books. How is a conductor to compete when the schola members bury their heads in the chant books?

This is my solution. Large chant pieces (like the image above) where the schola sees both the music and the conductor at the same time. God forbid anyone ever learn any part of the music by heart through repetition.