Liber Usualis
  • I sang at a EF Mass tonight for the 150th Anniversary of the Apparation at Lourdes... Which reminded me of a project that I started, and then had to shelve for lack of time... Has anybody put together an index to the Psalms of the Liber Usualis which indicates the mode that they are in? I would find this REALLY handy, because it would mean that I could use psalms in conjunction with the Offertory and Communio (where the Communio book doesn't have the antiphon - as it didn't for tonight, and I used the Magnificat that matched the antiphon). Last Sunday, being the First Sunday of Lent, the Schola sang the De Profundis with the Offertory Antiphon, which I thought was appropriate, since the De Profundis is one of the penitential psalms, and we are in a penitential season of the liturgical year right now.

I'd love to use the Offertoriale, but I don't know whether the Schola could manage it every week (I hear that some of the Offertories are quite elaborate), so I thought that psalmody could be used quite effectively here. Now this is REALLY pushing my luck - has anybody set the "extra" verses of the Offertory to psalm tones?