Stealing others' reputation
  • Carl DCarl D
    I got courageous this afternoon and decided to write a little blog post about the dangers involved when we speak about others in this forum. It all became much clearer to me when I heard someone introduce me to the concept of "stealing reputation" by the way we speak about them, especially in public.

If you're interested, you can read the article here.

Just my own observations and musings. This is difficult stuff that humanity's been struggling with since Adam and Eve.
  • Hoping that it you makes you feel better, consider that in the early days of the Boston Symphony Orchestra a reviewer for a major Boston newspaper printed that the reason there were exit signs in the new hall was that a work by Brahms might be performed. Today having Brahms on the program assures a full house.

Criticism serves a valuable role, that's why many of us endeavor(ed) to study with distinguished teachers. Sometimes their feedback is hard to accept, particularly right after its given. Criticism masked by anonymity, however is another name for cowardice. I think most thinking people understand that. Unsigned reviews should neither be read nor taken seriously. Wipe it from your mind and carry on.
  • francis
    Don't give a second thought to someone's opinion about your work. Especially from an anon. There will always be the critic. Just keep going forward and don't look back.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    nice post
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks, all. The reason why I mentioned it in this particular forum is because I know we struggle at times with how to speak well of others. It's good to remember that all composers and publishers of Catholic music really do believe that they are making an important contribution to our Church and Faith.

We can disagree with someone's approach, but doing so in a supportive and loving way can be a challenge. Just remember that reputations CAN be damaged by what we say here, and that's an important matter. Especially with an open, global, growing readership.
  • excellent reminder. thank you.
  • Mr. Z
    Good to hear this message, clearly and often, as all of us can forget these hugely important ideas. Should be a "sticky." Thanks for caring enough to put this out.

(with my mother listening?? Oh my, I am already banned for life @@ ;-) (those @@ are two big knots on my head, probably from mom, @@ ouch,@@ouch, Mom, stop@@).
  • don roy
    i posted my all volunteer, former folk group choir performance of lottis regina caeli that they did last easter on u tube. it was a real watershed moment for them. the performance was not perfect, it was over sung but it was in tune and enthusiastic. (and it wasnt haas) someone decided to rate the performance anonymously giving it a poor rating. (which it most certainly did not deserve) nontheless having your work rated poorely even anonymously stings a bit and caused me to question my own compitence. we should all be supportive of our collegues shouldnt we...?
  • Carl DCarl D
    That's a fantastic example, Don. Suppose that you had given the performance in a public place, say at the local mall. Someone hears the performance but is less than impressed. Can you imagine that person, even anonymously, putting up a big sign in the mall saying, "This group is terrible!"?

Yet the same thing happens online all the time. And, unlike in The Real World, those stinging comments will stick around forever, to be read by unknown numbers of people anywhere in the world.
  • chonakchonak
    Carl, the Consumerist website posted an article today on Why Even Bad Online Reviews Can Increase Sales.
  • mjballoumjballou
    There are many things I type - and then delete without posting. Remember the old adage about letting a letter sit overnight before you mailed it? And the sad truth is that, human nature being what it is, the unkind criticism stays in one's mind far longer than it should. (Heck, I can still smart over something my 3rd grade teacher said to me.)

And I'm going to link to Carl D's blog post on my own blog for the benefit of my readers and me.
  • Carl DCarl D
    That's a fascinating article, chonak, thank you! That might make me feel a little bit better about the review I had on Amazon.

I'm not sure I can apply the same logic to some of the postings I've seen in various forums, especially where no one is speaking up to offer any support for the person being spoken ill of. That seems to have only potential for damaging reputations, never for building reputations.

Unless someone WANTS someone else saying they're the devil incarnate, of course. I'd say that's rarely the case.