Polyphonic pieces (particularly the Kyrie) based on Orbis Factor
  • Hello all,

Our parish choir has been chanting the Orbis Factor Ordinary. We would like to include a polyphonic setting of part of the Ordinary, perhaps the Kyrie. Does anyone know of (a) polyphonic setting(s) that fits this description?

I thank you for your time and consideration,
    In Pace Christi,
    Christopher Ruckdeschel
  • St. Ann's Choir Repertoire List mentions:

Sverdlove: Missa orbis Factor

But I'm unable to find out anything about it...
  • Here you have a polyphonic version of the Orbis Factor Kyrie, by the Portuguese (contemporary) author Manuel Simões. Sorry for the low quality of the image, but I believe it can be read...
  • mahrt
    There is a four-voice setting by Victoria, which alternates chant and polyphony; it can be found on the Choral Public Domain Library under the title Missa Dominicalis.

There is an anonymous setting from the fifteenth century, which can also be sung in alternation, in The Treasury of English Church Music, ed. Denis Stevens.

There is a setting by Guillaume Dufay for alternation, with polyphony in a typical fifteenth-century discant, tenor, contratenor setting; more difficult, but very beautiful.

I believe there is one by Palestrina.

The one by Sverdlove is for alternation; we hve it in manuscript (readable); it is in a quite approachable quartal style. If you would like to see it, I can scan it and send it to you by e-mail; send me an e-mail request: mahrt@stanford.edu.