Question about BY FLOWING WATERS
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

The Antiphon from the GRADUALE SIMPLEX for Mass VI (Ord Time) is:

Da pacem, Dómine, in diébus nostris: quia non est álius qui pugnet pro nobis, nisi tu, Deus noster.

The translation in BY FLOWING WATERS says:

Give peace, O Lord, in our days; may all who love you dwell secure.

I am not a Latin scholar, but it seems to me the translation should be something like this:

Give peace, O Lord, in our days: for there is no one else who fights for us, except Thee, our God.

Can anyone explain if I am wrong? Why is there this discrepancy?
  • Maybe the NSRV people were in a non-pugilistic frame of mind that day?

I'm sure that Paul's fingers are tied when it comes to translations like that from NSRV..he can't change them, and it was not his goal to make this a "Catholic" book alone, as his preface mentions this translation is used for its ecumenical character...and his goal was to bring Catholic psalmody to the Ecumenical church.
  • chonakchonak
    The antiphon texts probably all come from the "Simple Gradual", which was ICEL's rendition of the "Graduale Simplex' texts. It's listed on the copyright page.
  • Jeff, you are NOT wrong. And Richard guesses correctly: Because I was seeking ICEL's permission to publish and also the concordat cum originali from the BCDW, I felt bound to use ICEL's translation.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    OK: just checking that I'm not going crazy!

:-)
  • ah yes, the old problem: translation or the official text? This problem is pervasive.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, after the Roman Missal is redone, and the Liturgy of the Hours, the Simple Gradual will be in the queue for correction around 2038 or so.
  • Richard, you'll have to accomplish the revision for me: I have planned to be dead on my 86th birthday, Easter Sunday, 2033, the 2000th anniversary of the resurrection. Like Dom Odo Casel, I plan to expire during the Exsultet, ravished by the chant and the incense.
  • Well, that brightens my day, Paul!
  • Heath
    Paul, that sounds wonderful! . . . please give the ushers a head's up, though.

: )