Chant Pilgrimage Rave Review
  • Kathy
    Tonight the CMAA Chant Pilgrimage culminated in a beautiful EF liturgy, with Washington area experts David Sullivan and RIchard Rice singing with CMAA faculty and members on the propers, the National Shrine's Choir's Schola singing motets at Offertory and Communion, and all the Pilgrimage participants singing the Ordinary and the closing Salve.

Hopefully there are recordings; I am particularly interested in hearing the Gradual again.

It was a moving Mass, exemplary in everything. Nothin' but net, event after event: that's the CMAA way. Thanks, you guys.
  • tdunbar
    The homily was on beauty and I got to thinking about “the beauty of the Lord” having a precise name: holiness – as the incredible beauty of the mass gave a tiny inkling of heaven where angels bow before our God, proclaiming Holy, Holy, Holy.

I was able to leave DC while there was a bit of daylight, thankfully, as cities and their traffic, etc are difficult for me.

Driving back, I thought about what was needed for that sort of Mass in less urban places, especially the architectural concerns. First of all, of course, there is the human architecture – more priests who can sing the mass are needed. This really comes down to – more priests. Suppose a certain parish needing to accomodate 1500-1800 folks on Sunday. A building could be constructed to seat 1000 where one planned on 2 masses on Sunday. However, a much more beautiful building, both artistically and acoustically, could be built for, say, 6 masses seating 300 or so. But that would require two priests.

This very Catholic concern for beauty has been somewhat absent in the United States recently; hopefully, that is changing, by God’s grace. solo Dei gloria.
  • miacoyne
    Beauty!

Beauty lifts us to touch the Heaven in our liturgy.
    Our reasoning alone can't.

I was glad that my schola and others were able to experience this Heavelny beauty, and at the same time feel a bit sad that many others still have to compromise.

Also Dr. Mahrt's talk was stunning. Does anyone have the recording of his talk? I'd like to make copies and give out to musicians and priests I know.

Ignorance,
    ignorance on the beauty of the liturgy is a major cause of the spiritual poverty these days. I think those who are blessed to experience and learn about this Heavely beauty are responsible to feed other fellow Christians with their knowledge and their experiences.
  • In addition to those Kathy mentioned (Bill, Scott, David, and I), the full compliment for the Propers Schola included David Lang (D.C.; McLean, VA), Kurt Poterack (Front Royal, VA), Gary Penkala (Charles Town, WV), Daniel Bennett Page and Dave Amenn (Baltimore, MD), CMAA's own Jeffrey Tucker (Auburn, AL) and Bill Stoops (Richmond. VA), and Ryan (whose last name I missed, Pittsburgh, PA), all of whom added to the quality of the performance.

To which this particular "expert" is not ashamed to add the contribution of the glorious Crypt Church, which is a very, VERY (blessedly very!) grateful place in which to sing.

[PS. to Mia: I somehow ended up with your nametag, if you want it.]
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Richard. I don't see your email add. in the profile. Could you send an me email? (Mine is in the profile.) I had a very interesting talk with MD at the Basilica today. I was actually able to talk about 'actual participation' while Dr. Marht's talk was still fresh in my mind.
  • God bless you all. Sometimes 't seems so impoverished out here on the Left Coast.
    But, Richard, know how treasured your gifts are in CenCA.
  • Charles: while I'm sure it's no real consolation, Catholicism just 45 minutes north of WDC in Baltimore is profoundly impoverished in every way except physically beautiful church buildings.
  • Kathy
    It's plenty impoverished in many places in the greater Washington metrorama.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Aristotle for posting the homily and the music. Did we miss you there yesterday?
  • Mia: You're welcome. I did miss some of you there; I arrived for the Mass and then went to a working dinner with Scott and a few others. I'd have come earlier but I had responsibilities back on Long Island on Friday.
  • Mahrt's speech was incredible in every way. I think it might have been the best he ever gave.
  • Oh, Pleeez let someone come forward with a recording of Dr. Mahrt's talk!
  • Dr. Mahrt gave the same excellent lecture to an appreciative audience on Sunday evening at Christendom College (CC) in Front Royal, VA, thanks to the efforts of Dr. Kurt Poterack, faculty member at CC (music). choirmaster at Christ the King Chapel on the campus, and editor-at-large of Sacred Music journal. I do not know if the lecture was recorded, however.

Elizabeth Poel
    DC Pilgrimage/chant workshop Coordinator
  • Let me add my grateful commendations to everyone involved in the workshop and Mass, not forgetting the beautiful ceremony provided by the priests and crew of servers from St John's in McLean and the motets by the Shrine Choir. I too would love to hear again or read Dr. Mahrt's talk, and will plan to listen to Fr MacAfee's sermon again.

May our Lady continue to shelter and intercede for CMAA and for her chanting sons and daughters.
    David Sullivan (not an expert, but a learner, like many others)
  • JennyJenny
    The weekend was incredible in every way. It was a pleasure to see many old friends and sing with such a great group of people. The Palestrina piece that the Shrine choir did was so beautiful that I could hardly breathe. Dr. Mahrt's talk and Fr. McAfee's homily were worth the price of admission all by themselves and will be the start of many hours of study and reflection. Many thanks to all at the Shrine,the JPII Center, and the folks from St. John the Beloved who were so kind and helpful- and of course, to Jeffrey, Arlene and Scott without whom no event would be quite so good, true or beautiful.
  • For many of us who dwell in the impoverished hinterland, this was a great way to recharge. I spoke with Richard Rice about having more gatherings of the Balt/Wash CMAA crowd. My parish has a Pavilion with a commercial kitchen and our new church was built in 1900 following a fire that destroyed the original that was built by then Father John Dubois the year before he started Mt St Mary's Seminary. Small but quite nice. On the down side we are inconveniently located for a lot of people. Though Virginians can cross over to Maryland at White's Ferry and enjoy the Potomac crossing and the trees of the Sugarloaf area.
  • I would add that Father Vincent Rigdon whom some of you know was just installed as Pastor of our sister parish in Poolesville MD. He is one of my Chaplains in my KofC council. I have a Memorial Mass scheduled for November 24th. If there was a schola available, I wonder if we could arrange an Extraordinary Form sung Mass followed by a reception? Hmm.
  • miacoyne
    Phipps, so exactly where is your parish? I've been trying to get a place for our second chapter meeting, Balt/Wash/VA CMAA crowd.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Another request here for a recording or transcript of Dr. Mahrt's talk!

Bravo to the CMAA for making this happen.
  • I would also love a recording of Dr. Mahrt's talk.

This was my first CMAA event, but it won't be my last. Much of it was very very basic, especially Friday afternoon. I could probably sing Mass IX while in a coma. But somehow Mr. Turkington made it work well for us advanced chanters. I left feeling like I had learned quite a bit and it was nice to have a refresher course on all of the different neumes. Of course it was also interesting hear some glimpses of the controversies surrounding some of them as well. There really was something for everyone. The best part of the experience was being engulfed in a sea of fellow chanters and lovers of sacred music and Our Lord.

BTW, the Kyrie in the Crypt (on the recording) is what the Saints in Revelation must sound like when they are crying "How Long O Lord!" (Rev. 6:10) It was incredible.
  • miacoyne
    It's amazing to see how Scott can be so passionate everytime he teaches chants. I believe he teaches the basics several times or more every year. But he is always gleaming with wonder and joy when he teaches. Something to learn as a teacher, also his patience. (And thank you Scott for doing the solfege. Now my schola members are convinced that I didn't make them up in a strange language or Korean... Evne if we learned Hymn to St. John, they were still suspicious until last weekend :-)
    Also thank you Jeffrey and Arlene for organizing this wonderful event and doing all the time consuming work. And David Lang, Elizabeth Poel, and shrine choir for all your wonderful work.

And I'm still admiring Dr. Marht's knowledge, wisdom and passion for sacred music. He has so much gifts to share with us. I'm very very thankful. Can't wait until the next Colloquium.
  • Hi Mia
    Info on the parish is at
    http://www.stmaryonline.com/

Thanks
    John
  • Kathy
    I remember the moment when I realized exactly how dedicated the CMAA faculty is. It was Friday morning, the last day of the San Diego Chant Intensive, the very last day of a very intense week. I came in a few minutes late, and there's Scott Turkington cheerfully solfedging with everybody one last time. Just incredibly impressive.
  • Dr. Mahrt's lecture may be heard here.

Click the pause button when the page first loads because the recording will stutter as it buffers.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    yes yes yes yes yes yes!
    :)