Vocal technique and the choral director
  • incantuincantu
    (a spin-off from Angela's thread on vocal exercises for men)

“Fools rush in where angels fear to tread” (Alexander Pope). Having completed my master's studies in vocal pedagogy, I find that in choral rehearsals I talk about vocal technique with much less frequency than my colleagues with little or no training in vocal instruction. In the vocal studio, however, I find I spend a great deal of time with my students undoing the problems that have been caused by misinformation acquired while they were singing in vocal ensembles. I have on several occasions presented a workshop called “Vocal Myths Demythdified (or Anyone Can Hum, You Just Put Your Lips Together And Phonate)” dealing with some of the more egregious examples.

As choral directors, our motto should be “First do no harm.” Beyond that, when addressing issues of vocal technique, I avoid whenever possible (and it's usually possible) telling anyone that they “should do” or “should feel” anything. There are other ways to encourage good vocal technique without talking about its specific mechanics. I would be very cautious using any technical advice I got online, or from a book, since matters of mechanics are so open to interpretation.

My suggestions below are not for technique, but for rehearsal methods that encourage good technique. As an analogy, consider the heart (an involuntary muscle). We cannot tell the heart “beat faster.” If we want it to beat faster, we can do ten jumping jacks. If we want it to beat slower, we can take long, slow breaths. Much of vocal technique can be encouraged in the same way. If nothing else, the distinction between method and technique is what I hope some directors can take from this.

On the subject of so-called vocal warm-ups, you may find that after a day of speaking, some light humming, or doing yawn-sighs from the highest to lowest notes and back, that there is no need to “warm-up” the voice in the way that an athlete must warm-up the muscles before engaging in stretches. The purpose of every vocal exercise beyond that should be mastery of some aspect of vocal technique. There is no pattern of notes or vowels that will magically teach you how to singer better. If you do not know why you are doing a certain exercise (and “expanding the range” is not a real answer, as one could ask "how does this exercise expand the range?") then you are wasting valuable rehearsal time, and perhaps doing more harm than good (see number 4 below).

A few examples, in response to questions in the "Vocal exercises for men" thread:

1. No singer ever “ran out of breath” in the middle of a phrase, at least not while maintaining consciousness. There is always air in the lungs. When a singer feels like they have run out of steam, what has happened is that their vocal coordination (which is not unlike a spinning gyroscope) has somehow gone off-kilter. When we stand with proper posture and feel relaxed, it is not complete relaxation of the muscles but the coordination of opposing muscle groups that keep us upright, and not a flaccid heap on the floor. Likewise, ease of vocal technique (breathing being one aspect) is the result of coordination of the necessary muscles.

To demonstrate this, I will ask singers to hiss inaudibly on “ss” or “ff” while I sing (or play) the troublesome vocal line. When I've finished the phrase, singers will find they still have plenty of breath, showing that when they were singing the same line they were perhaps not using efficient (I like this word better than “supported”) breath management (I like this better than “control”). You may then repeat the exercise by having them sustain (I like this word better than "hold") a “zz” or “vv” sound on one pitch while you sing or play the phrase. Finally, have them sing the troublesome phrase, being just as efficient.

2. Avoid playing vocal lines on the piano. This is a sure way to get a percussive, disconnected sound and does little to assist in learning notes. It is far more useful to demonstrate with the voice (or a recorder, or even a string instrument). If absolutely necessary, use an organ (an electronic one will do) to play along with singers. Restrict the use of the piano to simple chordal accompaniments only when needed. As a last resort, play along with singers an octave above and an octave below their vocal line.

3. For vocal exercises, begin with patterns that move downward (eg., s-f-m-r-d) beginning in the upper part of the comfortable middle range. If desired, move the exercise down by half-steps. (For singers with limited aural skills, transposing exercises might not be as helpful as working within one hexachord or mode for several different exercises). Use a downward pattern (eg., l-f-r) when you begin moving back into the upper range, again a half-step at a time. Only then would I suggest attempting exercises that use a pattern that moves up. This will help bring the pleasant vocal quality of the upper midrange downward, and avoid carrying unnecessary heft from the low range into the upper.

4. Create your own exercises that mimic the desired vocal technique. For instance, imagine a trouble spot where the vocal line leaps up several steps on a single vowel, and you want singers to create more space for the upper note. Instead of saying “you should make more space for the upper note,” try having singers sing [u] (“ooh”) on the lower note and [a] (“ah”) or [o] (“oh”) on the upper. This will require them to make the necessary adjustment without telling them what they “should” do. You can start this pattern at a lower pitch than required in the piece of music and gradually raise it until you are slightly higher than required in the piece. After the first few times through the exercise you've just created (to make sure they've learned the pattern), and when they are making the sound you desire, ask singers to pay attention to what it feels like to them (it might be different for each person). Repeat the exercise using the vowel in question, asking singers if they can have the same feeling. Then carry this over into the actual example in the music.

These are just a few examples of methods that can be used to encourage good technique without telling singers that they "should do" or "should feel" anything specific when singing properly.
  • I like these suggestions

Donna
  • Heck, the most technical I get in explanations is to tell choir members to raise the soft palate by imagining a golf ball in the back of their throats. Or yawning. I also, esp with kids, tell them to make a roller coaster sound with their voice, from top down then from bottom up, then both directions. It gets them loosened up almost immediately. At least it helps with upper voice no matter what part you sing.

Donna
  • I second incantu's suggestions!

One of the most efficacious techniques I use in ensembles and lessons for raising the soft palate and lowering the larynx is one that I learned--for a very different reason!--as a junior chorister: what I call the "yawn in church". Put on the attentive face/eyes alight. Lightly close your lips. Yawn WITHOUT opening your lips and put on the "Who, me, yawn in church?" face. Sing.

My childhood parish had a divided chancel and the junior choristers (who sang the 9:15 and 11:15 services and did Sunday School in between) were constantly exhorted neither to yawn or to laugh during the liturgy unless the congregation laughed at something in the sermon. It wasn't until graduate vocal pedagogy that I realized that the "yawn in church" had the advantages of raising the soft palate AND keeping the tongue low and forward as well as lowering the larynx and relaxing the swallowing muscles. (A normal yawn tends to pull the tongue backward to guard the throat from foreign objects, and, if taken to extremes, also hyper-extends the pharynx which adds unnecessary tension.) It also produces an immediate lightening of the mood/sound/morale :-)

At our weekly Monday-night schola rehearsals, we do a very little physical stretching (sun salute) and vocal stretching (sliding), a little downward warming up, then practice singing the opening five notes in major mode, minor mode, and lydian (drmfsfmrd, rmfslsfmr or ltdrmrdtl, mfsltlsfm) and then occasionally I throw in the ta (flat) in the lydian pattern for fun. See the exercises at http://www.christeluxmundi.org/BasicVocalises12.htm. I've only done the exercise in major on the website so far.

Another breath management technique that is also good for vowel unification and general blend is sing a line on only the vowels of the text. This one can be a real brain-teaser (it is easier in Latin than in English!). Coupled with incantu's hum/sing on vv or zz, this shows how to use the breath efficiently for the vowels before adding in the breath-wasting consonants. (And gives us all a chance to make sure our vowels match up--we battle several different regional accents with great hilarity, starting with the director's (moi) mid-Pond accent versus the NC coast :-) throw in some NYC variants and a couple other accents and it's tons of fun!)

I'll post the one male-upper-register warmup I use pretty consistently on the other thread.
  • incantuincantu
    Donna, two great examples. And if they help you get the right sound from your choir, and if your vocabulary helps them remember how to do it correctly, far be it for me to suggest you do otherwise. But I can't tell you how many bizarre vocal manipulations I have encountered in people trying to imagine a peach, apple, or any sort of thing in their mouth or throat. That's the danger of telling singers what they "should feel." Asking singers to "raise the soft palate" is an example of telling them what they "should do." A soft palate that is held in a raised position is just as bad as one that is not raised in the first place. I demonstrate this by rapping with my knuckle on a metal music stand -- vibration, pitch! Then I hold onto the stand with one hand and rap it again -- thud! Resonators need to be free to vibrate, and not held in any one position, in order to produce pleasing sounds.

Might I suggest that if you encounter a problem spot in the music where you feel singers need to raise the soft palate more, ask them to sing the phrase on one vowel (for example, [a]), beginning each phrase with a [x] sound (a strong version of the sound at the beginning of jalapeno or Chanukah) or simply a [k]. Alternatively, sing the phrase on "ng" as in "hung" and then on an open vowel, like [o]. If you're asking for a raised palate to correct a nasal sound, have singers sing while pinching the nostrils closed with the tumb and forefinger, then repeat alternating closed and open while feeling no difference, and no pressure of air escaping through the nose.

These are three ways to encourage the technique of a raised palate, none if which will result in singers trying to raise the palate. They also will not encourage depressing the larynx ("voice box"), which is something that, though undesirable in singing, happens naturally in the middle of a full yawn. If you use yawning as an example, it's important to stress that the desired feeling is that at the very beginning of a yawn, when there's only a slight lift and the larynx has not yet been depressed.

Am I convincing anyone of a different approach yet...?

Edit: Patricia posted while I was still typing this. I second her exercise, singing vowels only! The sneaky reason I chose "ss" going to "zz" and 'ff" going to "vv" is that you move from an unvoiced (therefore unpitched) consonant to a voiced consonant that can be sung on pitch. The plosive consonants (e.g., [p]) are where singers might get into trouble with being inefficient. While you might need to know this, I don't think it's necessary to explain all of that when using such an exercise. I'll have to experiment with the "church yawn," but it seems it would accomplish the same thing I advocate, avoiding the full depression of the larynx that occurs in full a wide-mouthed yawn.
  • I will try all these things if I can remember. After all this time, with a choir that has maintained pretty much the same people for years, I really don't spend time on the question of soft palate a lot anymore- more for a particular vowel problem,I guess. I find my altos are the ones in need of soft palate lifting far more than any other section. One way and another, I think my choir has a very good sound. My biggest thing I concentrate on , Like Patricia Cecelia is everyone making the same vowel sound , and Like her,being in the deep South,with retirees from the north, it's very interesting sometimes. Sometimes I like to lift my bangs, and ask if they can see tattooed on my forehead the slogan 'No R's", meaning of course no grating R sound at the end of words.
    I have one buzz saw soprano who gives me more trouble than anyone else. She has no vibrato and I'm not sure how to get one there. Plus the fact that she hates me, so I daren't single her out in a rehearsal. Usually, I just try to get her in a place where she cannot be heard so much. LOL Very prickly personality. But an excellent sight-reader. Aargh! At the moment I have a very nice young soprano with a MM in voice so I put them together and it's working so far.

Donna
  • Has she hated you...for the whole 19 years?
  • incantuincantu
    I'm sure you could find more than one choir director who would be happy to have a soprano without vibrato! But it sounds like yours is not of the angelic boy soprano variety.
  • As I said earlier- buzz saw is the operative word. Screech also comes to mind. Prolly not the whole 19 years, but very close-15, say. LOL
    Nevermind- I have decided to smile at her more often. I will feel better.

Donna
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Thanks, all, this is extremely helpful. I like the "yawn in church", too; that'll work well with my grade school kids.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I have to say that this discussion is quite helpful. Thank you!

Despite having been to a few singing workshops myself - which all suggest different things, of course - it's hard to come up with images and exercises on the fly which might help people to improve their sound.

But at the end of the day, I try not to be too hard on anybody, because it's not really about achieving the most angelic singing on the planet. My saying for this week: "Our job isn't to be perfect, but to help the congregation connect to the Holy Spirit who is." The schola seemed to appreciate that.
  • incantuincantu
    Being able to come up with exercises on the fly is a rare and useful skill. But anticipating problems and being proactive about solving them is something all choral directors can and should do. I wouldn't dream of having a read through of the Kyrie from the Mozart Requiem, for example, without using part of the "Christe eleison" melody as a vocalize in several different keys in the warm-up.
  • Much of my youth was spent in confusion thanks to a variety of different voice teachers. Their imagery eluded me, so I smiled, nodded, and hoped for the best.

I do a little bit of anatomy with my singers while we're stretching - not that anyone pays attention, but it entertains me. And we do lots of hissing. Talking about the soft palate reminds me how to sing because my ensemble's very small. Perhaps it keeps them from singing somewhere behind their tonsils (north Florida, south Georgia).

Oh, and we never rehearse with a piano and we're always standing up.
  • incantuincantu
    Hurrah for rehearsing standing up (with girded loins and staff in hand?). After standing for an extended period of time, I give my singers a little break by saying "you may sit UP." This always gets a few funny looks before they, adult and children alike, figure out what I mean.

A note on hissing: I use this technique frequently, but I always remind singers that the result should be almost or actually inaudible, with just enough air to fog up a mirror. Some singers (and directors alike) confuse the point of such an exercise, thinking it's a way to practice "pushing" the air out. This will result in a forced tone without any "bloom" (as one of my teachers would say, "sing only on the interest, never on the principal!"). I remind singers that this exercise is to practice the efficient and even release of air over a period of time, without letting all of the air rush out at once, and without "clamping down." For singers that use too much breath, that is producing a breathy or hissing sound, this exercise might be counter-productive. I might ask just those singers to use a [v] [z] [n] or [m] instead.
  • Incantu, I do the same thing with the sneaky consonants-to-vowel when necessary as well! I'm also in agreement with you and MJ about the lack of usefulness of many of the traditional images for "doing" the right thing. I studied Alexander Technique during my master's and the idea of 'habitual freedom' is very strong in my teaching/conducting.

Donna, sometimes I actually make use of the Southern tendency to make all vowels AH--I tell my sopranos that they are exempt from consonants above the staff and to just concentrate of making a lovely vowel somewhere in the vicinity of the beauty of a Southern lady's AH! The altos, tenors, and basses will be responsible for the consonants. :-) They've discovered that they cannot NOT put in the consonant, but pretending not to do so keeps them from doing it until the last possible second--the desired outcome!
  • dad29
    using part of the "Christe eleison" melody as a vocalize in several different keys in the warm-up

Roger Wagner never formally 'warmed up' his choruses before performances. Instead, he began every concert with the Gregorian "Ave Maria."

Of course, they were professional singers....
  • miacoyne
    Could someone define warm-ups, and vocal excercises and vocalise? Thanks.
  • chonakchonak
    They all refer to practice material that many choir directors use at the start of rehearsal, such as scales, arpeggios, and short melodies based on them. They are often sung on a vowel such as "ah", or "oo", or on nonsense syllables such as "mu, mo, ma, me, mi". Exercises can be devised to emphasize particular skills. By using the same exercises over time, a director can assess a choir's progress in those areas.
  • incantuincantu
    I use "warm-up" in a concrete way to refer to the actual physical preparation of the vocalis (vocal cords) for active singing. This what I refer to when I say that beyond light humming, etc. one probably need not "warm-up" the voice. I use "warm-ups" in a figurative way in my more recent post to describe the mental preparation in a rehearsal or before a performance (where, for instance, although we're "warmed-up" vocally, we may start each piece to check starting pitches and tempo). An exercise has a specific purpose. A vocalise is a type of exercise, often sung only on vowels.