Mass XVII: it's done!
  • It was a big day in our parish, the first time in probably 40 plus years that a full and compete Latin Mass ordinary setting was used. Until now we have mixed and matched based on an estimate concerning the ease of teaching and learning. But today we did the whole of Mass XVII. To prepare we worked with the celebrant for two weeks, sending him music and recordings. Then at our rehearsal on Thusday night we made a CD of the Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus. We made 50 copies of that CD to give out for free at Mass. We announced the availability of that CD before Mass and sung all the parts for everyone and explained where they come from and why it is important that people learn them. (yes that annoying pre-Mass "coming attractions" thing but it works)

All of this preparation led to that critical moment at the Kyrie after the intonation. Would it just be the schola or would everyone sing? Wow, it was just dazzling. A loud sound came from the congregation. I could hardly suppress a big smile. So it continue throughout. The Sanctus was uneven, but we were even happy about the drones. At least people were trying. The Agnus was much better. All around, it was a great success. It certainly feels like we've crossed into another world completely.

I know all the preparation helped. But also, I wonder if there is something to the idea that people need to be catechized and socialized into the need to change. I certainly detect a propensity among Catholics to be oddly content doing the exact same music week after week forever. Indeed, I do know of parishes that have been using the Mass of Creation every week for 25 years. How, I don't know. In any case, change is good for the mind and heart and soul. Sometimes it is something we have to push forward.
  • Congratulations, Jeffrey!
  • francis
    This is wonderful news. The music of the church, for the church, and by the church, so help us, God!
  • GavinGavin
    Hmm very interesting. We had an empty church, and I had to play everything on minimal accompaniment and substitute propers for some of the hymns (WOW I phrased that badly, but you know what I meant) It actually was quite pleasant and very Lenten, although frankly I shouldn't have been driving in this weather.

So Jeff would you say the "proactive" method (giving away CDs) worked well? It seems odd, but that might even be a good idea for my parish if it works.
  • Well, it is very strange, I know. And truly not many people took them. I first thought we would need 300. knowing that i'm crazy, others convinced me to make only 50 -- much more reasonable. But I think only about 25 were taken. As someone told me, no one likes homework. ha!

But, you know, I don't think it really matters how many people took them or will listen to them. The point is that we showed how much fuss we are willing to go through so that those who want to sing can do so. I certainly sense that this impressed on people their own opportunity/responsibility to involve themselves in liturgy. Sometimes people just need to be reminded as a way of jolting them out of the near-universal default mode of just showing up and doing nothing.

So while I doubt that CDs do much actual good, they seemed to do some symbolic good. Whatever it was, something just clicked today. I just can't believe that so many people were singing this on the very first time!

And as all of you know, all it takes is one bad sunday to wreck the liturgical plans of the entire season. We like to think we have 4 or 6 or 8 weeks for music to catch on but the reality is that we often get only one chance. knowing this we prepared in every possible way -- mostly by rehearsing the heck out of it so that the schola could sing it nearly be memory.

Also, let me also say that Mass XVII looks complicated on paper, just the sort of thing that the "experts" would say, oh oh that is too too hard for people. Not so!
  • francis
    Jeffrey:

This is so good. God looks for our labors of love to bestow the best upon Him and to honor His most Holy Sacrifice by adding to his suffering our own. Music is an act of love, because it is a labor, a difficulty, absorbs our time, energy, resources and all goes for naught as far as the human perceives. "Why all this struggle? To what end? You could have used that resource to feed the poor, or something tangible." But God treasures these gifts. He loves to be loved in return. Especially in the way that he deigns us do so. I think this is a great example of how the Church will worship in spirit and truth. America is all about 'fast and easy, do it pleasee'! But the labor of love in the liturgy is all but easy. It will demand everything from us who are able and called, and we should be most honored to serve our God in this way.
  • JDE
    Jeffrey,

congratulations. My little parish is halfway there! Wednesday night and this morning we did the Kyrie (we use the more florid one, option B at the bottom of p. 764 in my Graduale Romanum) and the Agnus Dei from Mass XVII at Mass. We used the same Kyrie during Lent last year and during Advent 2007 as well, but this is the first time with a Latin Agnus.

Father came up to me afterwards and said, "Did you see all those blank looks on the people's faces? They didn't know what to do" [during the Agnus]. And I smiled and said, "No, but i heard the ones who were singing. They'll get the hang of it in a couple of weeks."

As I told the little old lady who denigrated the quality of the chant itself when she came visiting last Easter, Better get used to it. It isn't going anywhere.

Now if only i can get him to let me do the Introits as well . . . hmmm.
  • The grouping of ordinary chants into numbered masses was the arbitrary work of the editors of the Vaticana (probably Pothier). Its chief value is that it obviates the need for finding each individual chant in the book, but I don't understand why you would make a special effort to move from mixing and matching to using a "complete mass."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Great work Jeffrey!
  • Paul_D
    Congratulations to you and the choir, Jeffrey. FYI, Here are the Sanctus and Agnus together in a 14th century manuscript.

http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/zbs/SIII-0001/284r/small

Solesmes did systemize the Masses, but this can be seen as an extension of the logic used centuries before. If you are interested, there is an excellent table in the Baroffio edition of the “Medici” graduale, showing the correlation between the 17th century grouping of Mass parts and the modern (Solesmes) groupings. The Medici graduale is following an older tradition evidenced in earlier chant books.
  • chonakchonak
    Folks, do you all realize that you are adding to a discussion thread that has been idle for 5 years?
    :-)
  • I just think that BruceL just thought LONG and hard about the exact thing to say, something to be admired in today's fast paced world.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • It seemed rather odd, given what I know JT has been doing in recent years, but I went ahead and thanked him anyway.

Kenneth
  • Congratulations on getting Mass XVII sung at your parish! Hopefully you can have similar success with Mass XI for ordinary time.
  • Thanks to Paul D. for the information, which is new to me.