Vito Carnevali bio
  • I'm having a difficult time finding biographical info on Vito Carnevali. I've checked all the standard sources (Grove's, New Grove's, Baker's, etc.), but no luck. Any help with biographical info or sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

SEAN BURNS
    www.holyghostcappella.org
  • G
    Vito Carnevali (born 4 July 1888, Rome, died c 1960 in Rome) was a composer of classical music.

Carnevali studied at the Accademía di Santa Cecilia (possibly between 1913 and 1918) under Giovanni Sgambatti (piano) and, with Leo Sowerby and Fernando Germani, under Ottorino Respighi (composition). Carnevali worked for a time in the USA, in Chicago (conservatory or music college), New York (Harvard-piano), and at St Patrick's Cathedral in New York City (where he probably succeeded Pietro Yon as organist). He spent some time in Algiers before returning to Rome.

His compositions include the four-part Mass settings Missa "Rosa Mystica", Missa "Stella Matutina", Missa "Ave Verum", Missa "Auxilium Christianorum", and Missa "Mater Amabilis".
    From Wikipedia.
    And from this site I gather he is the conductor on some recordings of Gigli.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)