Help with understanding and hearing the modes
  • Someone on our forum (francis?) posted a wonderful demonstration of the different modal scales, played on the piano. I have searched our site several times and cannot find it. Can someone find and post the link?

While you're at it, can you pray for my seminarians as I begin to teach them the elements of sight-reading and vocal production, and the principles of liturgical music and of selecting music for liturgy?

Gratefully,
    Paul
  • Is this the discussion you were thinking of, "Gregorian Modes Demystified"? Unfortunately, I don't think the flash module is up any more.
    ~Rebecca
  • Rebecca,

It is. And you're right, the flash module isn't up any more. francis, please!

Gratefully,
    Paul
  • francis
    Paul:

Put back original home page... didn't notice I had deleted link to modes. Here is the direct link in case it gets deleted again.

http://romancatholicsacredmusic.com/modes.html
  • You are a SAINT!
  • francis
    Paul:

Do you have any suggestions for what would be good examples of GC in each mode? I would like to include them in that study too. Brian Kiernan suggested these:

On this forum's host website (http://www.musicasacra.com/) if you scroll down on the right side, you will see a section of resources called "Teaching Aides." About 4/5 of the way down the list of resources, you will see, "'Textbook of Gregorian Chant' by Dom Sunol (1930)." If you open that PDF file and go to pages 40-45 of that book, you will find a series of solfege exercises and typical melodies for each of the eight modes.

What do you think?

Also, after looking at that study today, I thought it would be more useful to be able to play each mode on command, so I put PLAY buttons in for each mode so you can AB any pair back and forth. I also put buttons at the top allowing you to go directly to the first or second part of the study. It's a bit quirky in places, but works somewhat OK.
  • francis
    Jeez!!!

I also realized that the thing will drive you stark raving mad so I included a STOP button too.
  • Francis,

Justine Ward's adult method book has a set of magnificent examples of the characteristics of each mode. I have the book in another office but I'll try to get it out and scan the pages for you. These are THE source when I am trying to teach the sounds of the modes to my chants students.

Gratefully,
    Paul
  • Personally, I've found I can get a "quick and dirty" feel for a mode by singing up the bottom part of the appropriate scale (pentachord for authentic modes, tetrachord for plagal) then down the top part. For example, using Mode I: re-mi-fa-sol-la, re-do-ti-la.
  • What's the title of Justine Ward's adult method book, and is it on the Musica Sacra site?