Looking for TB or TBB music for Advent Carol Service
  • canadashcanadash
    Posts: 1,570
    I'm looking for TB or TBB music for an Advent Carol Service. It has to be easy. Perhaps we can sing an O Antiphon with a Fauxbourdon, but I feel completely inept to put this together. I have four tenors and four basses, but only one is a solid singer and this is why I worry about a simple chant - they are simple but not easy to sing well in unison. However, I do believe that they could perform something well as a male choir and it would boost their confidence.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks so much!
  • Xopheros
    Posts: 173
    Adding a harmony voice to "O Saviour rend the heavens wide" can be both simple and effective. Here is an example that always goes parallel in thirds or sixths, which, to my taste, has some weak points for which I would seek different solutions. Making your own arrangement should be not much effort.

    The (fake "Gregorian") chant "Veni, veni Emanuel" is even much simpler, because it works beautifully with only the "Gaude" refrain set in harmony. Here is an example that includes a very simple setting for three equal voices (see p. 2).
    Thanked by 2canadash probe
  • probe
    Posts: 259
    I worry about a simple chant - they are simple but not easy to sing well in unison.

    I've missed something here - unison is easiest, isn't it?
    It's what we do, it's all we do (this year anyway) and my singers seem happy with the well-known chants, such as that 'Veni, Veni Emmanuel' - even if it's fake ;)
    Thanks for the Gaude idea @Xopheros.
  • canadashcanadash
    Posts: 1,570
    Well, yes, the easier things, but I tried Regnantem Sempiternam with them a couple of years ago and I had two that knew it and the rest followed and that doesn't work very well. I realize it's not even that complicated, but we are a NO parish so the choristers don't chant weekly. I should do more of it but some of my men are very new... baby steps.