Requiem propers in English
  • Please don't have fits or tantrums.

A simple question:
    I'm looking for the funeral propers with an English text.

I'm aware of the Anglican Use Gradual, which uses psalm tones and of the Simplex translation done well by Dr. Paul Ford.

Was this done as part of the American Gradual? It doesn't appear in the downloadable sections (at least I can't find it).

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Remember, I'm all for Gregorian, Latin, and all good things.
    I'm just asking the question.
  • Oh, MJ, you know that after that question we are going to have to take you to the re-education camp for a while. ;-)
  • gregpgregp
    She RUNS the re-education camp! ;-)
  • chonakchonak
    By Flowing Waters is by Paul Ford, and it does contain a very nice setting of the Requiem texts.
  • incantuincantu
    There are two settings of the Requiem in the People's Mass Book. Marier has lovely newly composed settings of the propers in HS&SC. And, if you must, there is a Gelineau-style entrance song (found in Worship III) coupled with psalm verses. Most GIA hymnals have an English In paradisum, and a strophic paraphrase of the Song of Farewell is set to a hymn tune in most OCP resources.

The chant propers are in fact found in at least the print edition of the American Gradual, although I seem to recall my copy has a printing error somewhere in the middle of that suite.
  • I have to apologize for letting this sit on my hard drive for way too long! The texts are mostly from the Gregorian Missal. I think that these are just fantastic. The Domine Jesu Christe and Subvenite are absolutely first rate.

Again, download English Proper Funeral Chants composed by Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB here.
  • My thanks to all for the helpful pointers.
    Wine with dinner every night (except during Lent) at my re-education camp, please.
  • I ran through Fr. Columba Kelly's setting of the requiem propers (see Adam Bartlett's post above) last night with a couple of singers and I recommend them highly. For those of us working in English-dominant and somewhat chant-phobic environments, these are a great resource for funeral liturgies. Check it out!
  • mjballou

I have written and introit, offertory, and communion for SATB to be used at funerals that are in English. I am finishing editing them (As I have only used them for a funeral once) and could pass them along to you in the near future

scott
  • The (unrevised) Mass for the Dead from THE AMERICAN GRADUAL is attached. Someone asked for it weeks ago. I intended to post it but forgot.
  • My thanks to Bruce E. Ford!