Question about the possibility of adding chords scores.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I'm just curious...why? For what purpose would the vocalist or other musician want chords when there is already a written accompaniment?
  • JDE
    We could be the publishers of the very first Parish Fakebook of English Hymns.
  • JDE
    Seriously, I think leadsheets are basically for people who can't really read music, or for those who are skilled in improvisation. Not sure why they would be necessary otherwise.
  • I guess this would make sense if we are promoting guitar music in mass.
  • I'm all in favor of these! I can't read music very well. My first instrument was guitar 12 years ago, and I've been playing piano for about 5 years. So these help really well, as I think mostly in chords.
    And no, I don't play guitar at Mass. :)
  • don roy
    im reminded of the rather pityful attempts at playing traditional music by incompitent musicians back in the early days of vatical II. such playing made singing laborious and with little energy and directly lead to the glory and praise hijack. No offense orourkebr but playing block chords and a melody sounds like chords and a melody. it does the traditional movement no favors.
  • As an erstwhile liturgical pianist who used to play much so-called contemporary music off of guitar accompaniments — because (1) I didn't feel the need to practice, (2) it was easier for me to improvise than to learn, and (3) I thought the keyboard accompaniments to most contemporary tunes were poor and not worth learning anyway — I would have appreciated these in my younger days. I'm sure that others in a similar situation would, too.

I think one question would concern motive: cater to the market or educate the market? I know where I stand on this, but others may differ.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    thank you for these opinions!

believe it or not, I sometimes find it easier to read off chords.......on the organ........I am assuming the person who requested this wants to use it in this way.
  • CharlesW
    If there is no written accompaniment, definitely put the chords in. I can play from those, and have done so many times when asked to accompany a chant or single melody staff with no accompaniment score. Is this ideal, no. But it will do when necessary.
  • Blech! I hate those things. Makes me think of late-night jazz gigs, bebop, cigarettes, and liquor. or: praise bands.
  • I can take them or leave them. I can use them, and have a solid enough hymn-style of playing that I can interpolate interesting passing notes. I'm not guitarists can change chords often enough to get much out of it. My preference would be for the chords to be printed quite a bit smaller than you have them, though. I may wear bifocals, but I don't have cataracts!
  • don roy
    im with aristotle on contemporary music. much of this stuff has unplayable accompiniments anyway so chords are great. with organ based hymnody, well thats another story. since these chorales have a choral foundation,part writing is kinda important.after all would you put chords to a bach chorale?
  • As one whose eyesight is past its prime, I'd be happier if you would reverse the font sizes on the text and the chords!
  • CharlesW
    If you have accompaniments written, then there is no need for the chords.
  • francis
    You will expand your market if you include them for guitarists and non readers of musical score.
  • I read music quite well. However, as a celtic harpist, chords are a great help when I have to play with other instruments - something that happens lots at weddings, etc. I also know what chord spacing, etc. work with my instrument. Sure, I can read off the score, but if I have the chord symbols, it's a help.

I would appreciate the addition.

And Jeffrey, I play very little bebop, although I've never met a 7th chord I didn't like (no, I don't do that in church).
  • Mary Jane, can pedaled harps "do" 7b5 chords? (Nevermind the "why" part of that! I don't suspect the late Leon Roberts would have orchestrated his works for harp.)

Like MJB, I cannot understand how truly accurate chordal assignments added to select and particular hymns (set in SATB) indemnifies a hymnal's integrity. And I would think that Noel and Jonathan et al are quite capable of imagining that adding chord symbols to THAXTED or SINE NOMINE in the PBEH wouldn't be in the best interest of the realization and performance of those hymns, while using them with HYFRYDOL or SLANE (and such) would be amenable.
    I hope that Richard R. doesn't take me to task for confessing that once our schola had acquired been fully initiated in the metier of the Simple Choral Graduale, I took the liberty of assigning chords so that the contemporary ensemble (in which I have a number of schola people doing double duty each Sunday) could be "reinforced" by the "rolled chord" approach on classical guitar and piano softly. By doing that, the propers are being advanced at the so-called "contemporary Mass." How can that be a bad thing?
    This illustrates two presumptions on my part: One, in the hands of accomplished guitarists and pianists, certain hymns can (and do) powerfully support the singing by the congregation of, at least, the melody (with SATB or other voicings in the choir); point two- the inclusion of accurate, no compromised or dumbed down reductions, symbols in the PBEH should be an encouragement towards excellence and improvement of both repertoire and skills on the part of ensemble musicians whose diet of lead sheet accompaniments for hymns was paltry, or who just stayed in the comfort zone of the 80's. One should remember and offer some gratitude to the SLJ's, Joncas and others of that era for their efforts to move guitarists and pianists away from the slavish adherance to root position chording, and the subtleties of inversions and compound chords.
    I think a consensus among the hymnbook's compilers could be reached in this matter.
  • francis
    Charles... Your jazz is showing!
  • francis
    Jeff:

chording is an age old tradition. For those who improvise well, they much prefer to do so from a continuo than the written out scores which are usually quite lame IOHO.

-----

Basso continuo parts, almost universal in the Baroque era (1600-1750), provided the harmonic structure of the music. The word is often shortened to continuo, and the instrumentalists playing the continuo part, if more than one, are called the continuo group. The titles of many Baroque works make mention of the continuo section, such as J. S. Bach's Concerto for 2 violins, strings and continuo in D minor.

The makeup of the continuo group is often left to the discretion of the performers, and practice varied enormously within the Baroque period. At least one instrument capable of playing chords must be included, such as a harpsichord, organ, lute, theorbo, guitar, or harp. In addition, any number of instruments which play in the bass register may be included, such as cello, double bass, bass viol, viola da gamba, or bassoon. The most common combination, at least in modern performances, is harpsichord and cello for instrumental works and secular vocal works, such as operas, and organ for sacred music. Very rarely, however, in the Baroque period, the composer requested specifically for a certain instrument (or instruments) to play the continuo. In addition, the mere composition of certain works seems to require certain kind of instruments (for instance, Vivaldi's Stabat Mater seems to require an organ, and not a harpsichord).

The keyboard (or other chording instrument) player realizes a continuo part by playing, in addition to the indicated bass notes, upper notes to complete chords, either determined ahead of time or improvised in performance. The player can also "imitate" the soprano (which is the name for the solo instrument or singer) and elaborate on themes in the soprano musical line. The figured bass notation, described below, is a guide, but performers are also expected to use their musical judgment and the other instruments or voices as a guide. Modern editions of music usually supply a realized keyboard part, fully written out for the player, eliminating the need for improvisation. With the rise in historically informed performance, however, the number of performers who improvise their parts, as Baroque players would have done, has increased.

Basso continuo, though an essential structural and identifying element of the Baroque period, continued to be used in many works, especially sacred choral works, of the classical period (up to around 1800). An example is C. P. E. Bach's Concerto in D minor for flute, strings and basso continuo. Examples of its use in the 19th century are rarer, but they do exist: masses by Anton Bruckner, Beethoven, and Franz Schubert, for example, have a basso continuo part for an organist to play.

----

from wikipedia
  • In Quentin Faulkner's essay, "Christian Creativity in a Post-Christian Ethos," he examines the audition requirements for several high-powered organist jobs in the 16th to 18th centuries. Only in 1773 is there an audition where the candidate is to play an already-composed work - and even then he's given the option of improvising instead.

You can find Faulkner's essay at the Digital Commons at University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
  • I am a bit hesitant about the possibility of encouraging guitars as a result of including what has become a "guitar score" format. Why not use the numeric notation ( I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii) which should be more than familiar to organists since that seems to be the desired market here. It is also a blessing when transposing.
  • Jeffrey, I certainly can appreciate your hesitancy; proposing the addition of any other musical nomenclature will naturally evoke great ambivilence. I don't want to provoke a discussion of the propriety of guitars and pianos, per se, at service, ala the article G cites over at CanticaNova. But if we look at the issue mindful of how the Triplex functions, we might see that G/B or G/F proves much more accessible than V6 or V4/2. Or even more extreme, Spanish notation Sol/ti and Sol/Fa.
    The more I think about it, if a guitarist/pianist cannot fathom the SATB arrangement and provide a reasonably faithful chordal rendition, then that musician needs to personally remediate that. The only other argument in favor of the "guitar" score is that certain major publisher's guitar arrangements are vastly impoverished and presume that "lead sheet" players want to remain in the realm of the chordally mediocre. Add to that their admonishment that should organists and guitarists collaborate, the organist is to reduce the harmonic richness by condescending to the guitar chord assignments, is a particular obnoxious insult to both players.
    I've been doing a great deal of thinking about the whole guitar idiom. What would have evolved from those early basement Masses in Baltimore and St. Louis (for example) if players such as James Taylor, John Dowland (he might've been a bit ripe) or Baden-Powell were the models to be emulated, rather than Pete Seegar and the New Christy Minstrels.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I appreciate all these thoughts! May God bless you all.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    OK, here's the solution!!!

I'll just make a stipulation that anyone who uses the Chabanel Psalms has to be able to play keyboard as well as this guy!!!
  • Well, my youngest son has just started his college experience on the clarinet at Baylor U. He has never had piano, but is taking the required course for non-keyboard majors. There is no excuse for not being able to read from the grand staff, and figure out both hands working together.

In other words: here's the melody, here's the accompaniment, JUST DO IT!
  • Actually, Steve, I lived through your scenario in college undergrad and postgrad years. Here's the deal, I can read with absolute fluidity vertically stacked notes moving horizontally across the staff, in my head. My hand to eye coordination, however, is mitigated by congenital stribysma (crossed eyes), far-sightedness, and astigmatism. I've been able to improvise on keyboards since being a kid in the 50's. But, as a double-bass/flute major undergrad, and having continued to try to "read" piano scores all during my secondary years, I had to physically memorize _all_ of the possible testing pieces (Minuet in G/Fur Elise/Jesu, Joy/etc.) in order to pass my juries on piano.
    Ask me if I can hear the chordal voices in my inner ear as I read through the score, absolutely yes. Ask me to play those vertically stacked chords, in rhythm with my corrected vision (coke bottle lenses) with my hands splayed horizontally along the keys? No chance without hours of acquiring the muscle memory to the hands.
    I don't know if I've adequately described this "handicap" towards "just doing it," but I worked hard at my piano courses so I could pass those requirements and did achieve both degrees. But I still cannot realize a simple hymn setting at sight. I could realize its chordal structure at sight on a guitar, though not necessarily with the melody completely in tact in the upper voice. My inability to do so on a keyboard is not something I'm happy about. It is something I seem unable to correct.
  • I like to see the chords above a regular keyboard accompaniment for things like this because chances are good that the additional instrumentalists (like me, the harpist) may be working with a keyboard player. Plus I don't mind seeing suspensions, etc. - they give me ideas.

I hope we don't have to prove an ability to read the alto clef at some point:)
  • I recall having to sight-read a short (about 6 measures of 4/4) example of Treble/ Alto/ Bass clef trio sonata for an AGO exam... even with preparation and practice it is a bit for the mind to grasp three clefs at once. I truly admire baroque era musicians who had to do this regularly. I still am not totally on board for "chord scores"...sorry!
  • And I'm not totally arguing for them, J. Claiming the fifth.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I mean... we all know that guitarists are not the ideal... but wouldn't a guitarist using the Chabanel Psalms be a better alternative to a guitarist singing "Be Not Afraid" in place of the Psalm? I think it's a worthy idea.
  • Jeff: You must have too much time on your hands!
    Really I have done this too, with Meinrad tones over pointed texts.
    If you are targeting guitarist or musicians who prefer lead sheets you will need to present them using a most popular format. (I'm not sure what that would be- "Glory and Praise?") And with your psalms , voice placement would be effective too. Em/G > Am/F#> Em..etc
    I always thought the Gelineau psalm setting would wear well among guitar liturgy but the open tetra chords were difficult to identify and execute .
    The best part of singing the psalms is the preparation. The work, the sacrifice and the time is a great joy.
    A Jewish cantor told me he is required to sing from a Torah without vowel marks, without spaces between the words, and without a musical score. This assures that the one who proclaims the word is well studied and knows most intimately the nuances of meaning in music and text which must be communicated to the congregation. He is then worthy of the tasks: and then that which seems so obscure and unfamiliar becomes very intimate. Cherish the word in your heart!
  • I'd say that an instrument capable of sustaining a line of melody would be far preferably to a guitar. Any guitarist would have to supress the need to set up a rhythm. If he is capable of continuo playing for early opera it'd be ok. Unless the opera is Tommy.
  • Noel, do we need an instrument sustaining a melody line to successfully support adequately prepared chanting?
    Doesn't it logically follow that equally capable voices can sustain the melody line of a metric hymn that is adequately supported by a fully realized chordal accompanist with guitar? The voice is the noblest of instruments of praise, yes?
    I know this skirts the documental primacy given the pipe organ, but that's not the relevant point in your opinion.
  • I think the point is that the accompaniment instrument be a breathing instrument. (Even though the organ doesn't need to stop to take a breath!) Plucked strings that immediately decay into nothingness are just a step away from the percussiveness of the piano. Bowed strings and actual wind instruments would be the next best accompaniment. Just because the voice is the "noblest" does not mean that proper accompaniment diminishes that aspect - again PROPER accompaniment.
  • francis
    I would definitely include the chords on the Chabanel Psalms. But I might make mention that it is not to encourage the use of guitar during the liturgy (perhaps not on every Psalm, but a general statement in the publication).

It's a sticky decision, but let me draw another comparison.

For the liturgical "purists" here, I would venture that Latin Chant is preferred in our selection of music as opposed to the vernacular, yes? Then, why would we encourage vernacular settings of the ordinary by composing new settings for its use?

There is no way around sending a mixed message if you involve yourself in the present liturgical music machine! Is there?
  • miacoyne
    "I would venture that Latin Chant is preferred in our selection of music as opposed to the vernacular, yes?"

I don't think they oppose to each other. I use vernacular because we (both the congregation and the schola) are not ready for the latin yet. We are still working on Ordinary and occasional communion propers in latin. The vernacular is a step to latin chant. To me vernacular with Gregorian melody is imcompete in itself, while latin is. I want them to get used to the chant music and familiar with it before I use latin.
    When I had Aristotle's RP last month, I marked the chods for my organ accompaniment, because the singer needed the accompaniment. So the chords can help, but I would definitely be against anything that encourages using guitar in sacred liturgy, especially in our time. I think it is a big problem, if the musicians who are in charge of music ministry , music director and/or organist, between the two cannot figure out the accompaniment without the chord markings.
  • I'm appreciative of Mia's last sentence.
    But I'm also wary of demeaning and demonizing the instrument because of the "instrumentalist."
    There are many of us who can realize a basso continuo on the guitar from I-IV-V6-I nomenclature.
    We also know what the proper accompaniment instrument should be. We also know that sometimes that instrument and a capable player is not present.
    If anyone should think that guitarists cannot "do" choral music, I suggest that one listens to the LA Guitar Quartet's rendition of Morton Lauridsen's "Dirait on."
  • miacoyne
    There are lots of professional drum band too. They are excellent musicians. Their music is fascinating. Our taste of music is seperate from what is available and making it available in performing sacred music in our liturgy.
    We cannot have exceptional cases, like in missionary countries, be the general norm for the standard of sacred music.
    Also I think if you can have the excellent guitar group like that, the parish could afford to buy a humble organ and hire a musician who doesn't need chord markings instead. Otherwise, guitarists with 'good intention' of helping but without much background in music knowledge will be handling the music ministry. We all know that problem of 'good intention' is hard to resist in many parishes, but caused lots of problems.
    But those people who cannot read notes and play guitar, can also learn about music and litrugy, and they can actually become better musicians for churches than anyone, because I'm sure they must have good ' ears' and have 'will' to help, a will to learn in a right way that the Church asks.
  • CharlesW
    "For the liturgical "purists" here, I would venture that Latin Chant is preferred in our selection of music as opposed to the vernacular, yes? "

No it isn't, at least for this purist. I fully support vernacular liturgies and think the western Church should have had them hundreds of years sooner. The church fathers clearly intended for the liturgy to be in the language of the people and for it to be understood. Far too many forget that Latin was the vernacular in the the fourth century. Does that mean I am anti-Latin? Again, no. As popes have indicated, we should all know the Latin ordinary, even if we don't use it every week. Also, there is a body of gorgeous and priceless music that should be preserved. I don't see the Latin/English debate as an either/or. There is room for both.