Psalm tone Miserere
  • On a thread at NLM, someone asked about getting a nice setting of Miserere Mei, Psalm 50 - a text that is central to the life of a Catholic in Lent. The simplicity of the Psalm tone here, calmly and musically sung, is so incredibly beautiful. The schola can lead the way for the whole parish. Here is one setting from a 1925 Franciscan Processionum.

• Josh
    For the 10th Sunday after Pentecost, whose Gospel is that of the Pharisee and the Publican, whilst trying to find something very easy for our tiny schola, I looked up the Benedictus antiphon for that day and noticed that it ended with the prayer of the tax-collector: " O God, be merciful to me, a sinner".

Taking just that part, and marrying it with the Miserere, seems to have produced a reasonable combination, but I wonder if it will be too penitential for use at a Sunday Mass during the time after Pentecost, rather than during Lent... at least, given its 20 verses, Father can take as long as he likes at the altar! (We will certainly cut it short given our priest's fairly quick ars celebrandi.)

The Communion on the 10th Sunday is taken from Psalm 50. But would it be better to sing some of this during the time of the offertory, once the Offertory itself is over with? It seems perhaps a bit too mournful to sing during communion time.

(It must be noted that the ability range of our members means our small group managed - just - to sing the full Gregorian Introit for Trinity Sunday, but otherwise sings the proper chants set to a psalm-tone, so this melding of the Miserere with an antiphon is an example of what we can currently cope with singing.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen