Style Sheet for Hymns
  • I was doing too many things when the capitalization discussion went on...so tell me, when do we capitalize and when do we not?
  • My word! That subject requires pages and pages and pages. But perhaps it might evolve into a CMAA-published liturgical / musical style sheet?
  • I vote for all personal pronouns referring to God; Bread, Wine, Chalice Cup - referring to AFTER Consecration; in Marian hymns, any of Mary's titles.
  • A grey area might be use, even from Scripture directly, of Light, Life, Way, Truth, Shepherd, when referring to Christ.
  • francis
    we should look back at tradition and see what they did.
  • Maureen
    Tradition invented punctuation rather late in time, Francis. :)

This is a style and didacticism question. I think capitalization of divine pronouns and of various titles, divine and otherwise, is helpful, not to mention an extremely cheap form of annotation. I also think the first word in every line of a song ought to be capitalized.
  • chonakchonak
    We need a Roman equivalent of "Fr. Vasiliy" to say: "Was punctuation and capitalization in writings of Church Fathers? Was in Bible what St. Jerome translated? No: it was not! Was no capitalization in 4th century Rome. Is modernistic, rationalistic in-no-va-tion! Is outrage!"
  • I've expressed to Noel my willingness to create a style sheet, based on many years' editorial experience. Apparently no one else has specifically volunteered. If there are no objections, I'll start making notes and will keep up with the suggestions posted here.

It's not complicated to come up with sensible style rules for handling titles and pronouns for the persons of the Trinity, Marian titles, etc.

Mary
  • francis
    When I say tradition, I mean before VII... lol. I think the missals of the early 1900's could be a good guide, for instance.
  • marymezzo wields a wicked red pen...she'll keep things in line.

She also has great syle sense, just look at her shoes.
  • Style sheet...how does one take on creative commons licensing of a hymn, how is that shown on the hymn page...
  • chonakchonak
    To apply a Creative Commons license to a work, you'd add this license statement to it:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

or

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

and so on.

There are six variations on the Creative Commons license, depending on (a) whether users have to attribute the licensed material to the owner; (b) whether users are free to make commercial use of the work; (c) whether users may change the work and produce derivative works from it; (d) whether users have to preserve the same license conditions when they re-use your work.

If you don't want to apply any of these conditions, then you may as well release the work to the public domain.
  • Ok, now let's say you wish to offer your hymn to the PBEH project and you have it licensed under CC with the exclusion of commercial use...how can PBEH publish it?
  • chonakchonak
    CMAA (or anyone) could still distribute it on-line in free PDF files, either alone or in a collection, as part of a website of supplementary PBEH resources.

"The angel spoke, and said: 'Give praise to God! Write a resource for His glory!'

"And I said: 'What?'"
  • Yes, but there are composers (there should be more) who want to be published but do not want any of the big houses to steal waht they have written and publish it for money, and that, I believe is what CC can prevent. But, there must be a sentence that goes in the PBEH that states that all CC music published in this book is covered, right?
  • chonakchonak
    In order to get the effect you want, you can use the "Attribution Non-Commercial" version of CC. That allows the general public to reprint the work, but only non-commercially.

You can then separately grant specific publishers (e.g., CMAA) permission to use your work commercially.
  • On the English Hymns page you may now download a file with proposed header information in PDF and MUS.

There are elements of the remainder of the page that are still under consideration.
  • My own preference is for attribution commercial version of CC. I say that because there is no longer a clear line delineating commercial from non-commercial, and highest circulation is the goal. If someone else gets to print before we do, tough luck. That's my view in any case.
  • chonakchonak
    Are you thinking of the profit/nonprofit distinction as unclear? That can be unclear, but it's a different issue from the commercial/noncommercial distinction, which (I think) just comes down to whether people pay for the published copy. Or is that a more complicated question than I realize?
  • Fr Vasily is brilliant, and posts far too seldom. Is outrage!