Ban the Low Mass - Both Forms!
  • GavinGavin
    There is occasionally a cry from more level-headed traditionalists to ban the old "Low Mass". I would say such a proposal is very unpastoral, but I strongly support relegating it to missions, monasteries, and ferias.

However, I don't think this goes far enough, so I propose in addition to "banning" the EF Low Mass, we also ban the OF Low Mass!

What do I mean by an "OF Low Mass"? Allow me to give some characteristics:
    A Mass with one priest, no deacon
    Mostly recited (or entirely)
    No use of Latin
    No use of propers
    No choir
    Generally under an hour

This Mass, like its EF predecessor, is aliturgical and leaves the congregation detached and less fulfilled than the High Mass. I propose that this Mass too should be relegated to the trash bin of history. Put "Gather Us In" next to "Mother, at Your Feet is Kneeling"!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    There is occasionally a cry from more level-headed traditionalists to ban the old "Low Mass". I would say such a proposal is very unpastoral, but I strongly support relegating it to missions, monasteries, and ferias.

The absolute happiest and most precious memories of my life are attending Low Masses in a small, rural church.

I could not be more serious.
  • GavinGavin
    And hence this is why I think it would be more pastoral to allow the Low Mass on ferias, and at missions. Not every Mass can be a High Mass with all the bells and whistles. But there's no reason that a parish of 1000+ people should have a principle Sunday/Solemnity Mass with no Latin, propers, etc. OF or EF.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Richard R.
    I had sincerely hoped that, in the course of the past 40 years, we had, among other things, realized the thoroughly anti-Catholic impropriety of banning things.
  • JamJam
    More rules just cause more problems. I agree with Richard. Until people realize that the high Mass is how Mass is meant to be, and have a sense of liturgy and the liturgical calendar being a part of their daily lives, and understand how solemn and festal every Sunday is due to the resurrection of Christ... they'll be annoyed at the singing and angry that Mass takes so long and generally complain if anything isn't exactly to their tastes. HOW to revitalize Catholic culture at large is a whole 'nother thing...
  • Abusus non tollat usum.

In contrast to Gavin's list of characteristics, I would think of a good low mass, OF or EF, as having

One priest, no deacon
    Entirely recited
    Entirely in Latin
    All propers included
    No choir
    No homily
    About 20 minutes

But I am thinking of daily mass, and the 0600 Sunday low mass. Of course Gavin is right in saying that a mass with his list of characteristics is hardly suitable for the principal Sunday service if the place has the resources to do better.
  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the ban will not be written on stone (or paper, or flash memory), but on hearts.
  • GavinGavin
    I'll make a point to use heading1 next time I point out that I only use "ban" in a figurative sense. I think I'm the only one here to have actively spoken out against any sort of church "index". And yet, my point remains mostly unchallenged that the "low" aesthetic is inappropriate for festal worship in a capable church.

And I think Joseph's recommendation for a "good Low Mass" is an excellent formula and within the reach of any priest.
  • Lawrence
    Gavin, please be assured that the following statement is not directed at you, since you've expressed yourself with due moderation. I have been absolutely flabbergasted by some of the more outrageous statements by musicians in particular about Low Masses. "GASP! It was a LOW Mass," they say, as if it instead had been some kind of pagan ritual. This is nonsense, and only promotes further liturgical whiplash between two extremes which ought to be avoided: 1) the idea that every Sunday Mass should have music, and 2) that music is not necessary and silence is in fact preferable.

A few years ago I played a wedding that was particularly awful. I felt like my head was going to explode from the pressure when it was all over. I needed relief, so I went to a Low Mass. It was just what the doctor ordered. We also have Low Masses in the summer at the church where I work, and I have to say that the recollection of it all helps me to put myself back together after a long year. As a musician, I find the occasional Low Mass to be absolutely necessary for my sanity.

In terms of being pastoral, we have to take into account that some people hate church music---any kind you can think of. The "liturgy wars" of the past 40 years seem only to have served to make this more prevalent. For years my father went to the earliest, quietest Mass that he could find because he was tired of all the games that musicians were playing. Give these people the quiet Mass that they deserve. Some of them have been through more hell than a GenX-er like me is capable of imagining.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • In my time away from active church musicianship, I often desired a Low Mass without music; most of the Masses were grossly over-amplified. But I never got up early enough, so I stood at Calvary in all its amplified cacophony. ;¬) Besides, the local church still had the microphones on at the 7:30 AM Sunday Mass.

A Low Mass celebrated with due care is more edifying than a pull-out-the-stops, mic-to-eleven singfest. Still, I do view at it as the exception — a very necessary exception, in many cases — and not the norm.

But I don't think a Sung Mass ought to imply "Mass, sung loudly" either. (Is it at St. Meinrad where they have a sign displayed stating, "The monks will thank you for singing quietly" or something to that effect?)
  • GavinGavin
    Michael, while I'm sympathetic to those complaints, I have to respectfully maintain skepticism that the availability of "Low"/silent Masses is a proper response to the angst of those suffering from liturgical abuse. Why is it only disliked music we apply this to? Should those who are offended by bad architecture have a right to an open-air Mass to relieve their suffering? Should those annoyed by bad preaching have a right to a sermonless Mass? Maybe, but I tend to think that people still have a right to receive the music of the church, a right to hear the preaching of the Gospel, and a right to the artistic treasures of the Western tradition, which they NEED even when they don't WANT it.

I'm not saying I oppose such a viewpoint, but I don't really see the propers as something one can "take a break from". I tend to see them as always a right.
  • miacoyne
    'As a musician, I find the occasional Low Mass to be absolutely necessary for my sanity. "

Sadly I agree. I love chants and beautiful music in High Mass. But as a musician it's not easy to listen to music just as a prayer without listening to musical elements and the quality. I need a little break from all the sounds and just quiet and silent prayers soley to focus on God during Mass. Recently a young priest started a Traditional low Mass,EF (his private Mass but invites anyone who wants to join)on Thursdays in a fairly closeby area. We have it in a very small chapel. (although we might have to move soon, because the chapel is already filling so fast.) People recite all the Responses and Ordinaries very quietely and silent prayers of Canon. It's beautiful and peaceful. We are hoping we can start High Mass on special feast days soon in the future. People are also learning their parts from this low Mass, so it will be easier when they sing those prayers in High Mass.
    Thanked by 2R J Stove ZacPB189
  • Some qoutes for thought about music v.s. no music at Masses.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus: let no such man be trusted." - Shakespeare

"Day and night they [Seraphs] never stop saying [singing]: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.'" - Book of Revelation

Also, I recall some of my most heavenly and inspired moments were during a Low Mass. However, with less than a dozen in attendance and a priest filled with so much love in his heart for Christ and the Mass, this priest even at 6am on Sundays would chant portions of the Mass, chant the ordinary, and sing plainsong chant hymns all from memory. Hearing Communion plainsong chant hymns sung solely by this priest was a mystical experience beyond words. This entire Mass was heavenly prayer itself and yet it was serene, quiet and reflective; more solemn than anything I have yet to experience. Yes, he was Officiant and choir rolled into one man, but everyone in attendance soon loved those chants and plainsong hymns and we soon all sang along out of sheer infectious love.To this day I remember every one of them and it ALWAYS bring great comfort, warmth and a smile on my face. I was in the 1st grade when I first attended those masses. There was plenty of silence to be sure, but oh what love when we finally could sing with that priest. Oddly enough, his name was Fr. Seraphim!
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Chrism
    At the EF, the rule already calls for at least one Sung Mass on Sundays and holydays at every parish:
    It is desirable that on Sundays, and feast days the parish or principal Mass be a sung Mass. (De Musica Sacra (1958), #26)

In some communities, this would be a good step. But most places do not yet have daily Masses, let alone two Masses on Sundays and holydays, so implementing this rule would effectively eliminate Low Masses from that location. According to Fortescue, Low Masses have been a part of the Roman Rite for at least the last 1400 years. I think we need to increase the number of EF Masses celebrated, but this will only happen if the faithful are willing to sacrifice for it.
  • Chrism
    BTW, by "Low Mass" we should differentiate between the quiet Low Mass and the Dialogue Mass. The Novus Ordo "Low Mass" you are talking about is necessarily a type of Dialogue Mass. When my nerves need a break from all the music and liturgical activity, and want some time for contemplation, I prefer the quiet Low Mass. For some reason, I don't ever seek out the Dialogue Mass.
  • miacoyne
    Chrism, in the Traditional Low Mass can people recite the responses quietely? In our Traditional Mass, we do that, because we found that the Church recommands that. We just had the discussion about it, and we are a bit confused.
  • Chrism
    People are not required to say the responses. It is recommended, but not required, but it is at the discretion of the priest to allow the "dialogue Mass". Many participate in other ways, for example by praying the Rosary while meditating on the part of the Mass being celebrated. I think many of the silent, prayerful Catholics actually participate more fully in the Mass than some who bark their "Et cum spiritu tuo"'s inattentively and by rote. Having someone scream "Et cum spiritu tuo" in your ear can break your concentration. So can change, of any sort, from the status quo, until it is internally processed and accepted.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Always interesting reading.

My objection is with the most popular form of OF Low Mass in this part of the world. I believe it reflects good intentions gone awry.

On weekdays because of an insistence of having music at every Mass, we have an unaccompanied opening hymn, Alleluia, bits of some Mass setting, and a closing hymn. All the "dialogues" are spoken, as is the responsorial The pastor only wants the organ at solemnities on weekdays, so it is perforce a cappella. Mostly what you hear is the cantor (who does have a lovely voice) singing into the mic.

Oh, I almost forgot that a large part of the congregation in one parish now harmonizes random bits at the 3rd (just like girl scout camp).
  • miacoyne
    I just came back from Traditional low Mass. It is so beautiful. I sense total surruender and humility in the prayers, something I miss in OF; mic, singers in the front, belching out people 's singing and so on, they went too far that those feel almost unnatural. I think the import of Protestanism of M. Luther's idea of 'people -centered,' instead of 'God-centered' and the pride of self went to deep in our Catholic liturgy. As a musician, I have to remember that in order to serve Him, we have to leave our pride and preferences of music , and adopt the Church's prayers and Her music as your own.

Thanks Chrism for your post. It helps greatly.
    The priest at the low Mass mentioned before it starts that we can recite the responses with the server quietly, but follow the server's pace.(For me, I just like doing it internally, I can concetrate much better.) It really helped quieting down. I think people got used to everything so loud these days. The louder, the better as if there's no difference in different prayers.
  • chonakchonak
    When did Luther advocate "people-centered" liturgy? I have a hard time believing that, Mia.
  • Anhaga
    My TLM parish used to sing four hymns at 8:30 am Sunday Low Masses. Early in the Sunday morning, the choir got easily tired and often got blank after Mass. We often felt we were singing just for singing and marginalized from the liturgy. We could not fully concentrate on the Mass. Even in choir practice, we were always busy and stressed with practicing new hymns.

Now we sing Latin chants for offertory and recessional and two organ pieces for introit and communion, which gives the choir more chance to interiorly participate in the Mass. The choir can have balanced sense of singing and silence with reverence. I found this is very beneficial for the spirituality of the choir. And I appreciate Low Mass more than before. Most of all, now we have more time to practice Mass ordinaries and propers for the once a month Missa Cantata.
  • GavinGavin
    Right, chonak, those ideas betray a poor understanding of Luther or any of the Reformers. Of course, it's hardly necessary for a Catholic musician to know the details of the Protestant Reformation, but it should be noted that Luther would no doubt think highly of much of the work we're doing - after all, we all know his favorite composer was Josquin!
  • miacoyne
    "..In 1529 that the followers of Luther came to be know as Protestants....from the time that Luther first announced his false doctrine at Wittenberg in 1517 until the Peace of Augusburg in 1555, almost forty years had passed. From the beginning he had a great number of followers and that meant that their children and their grandchildren grown up knowing nothing at all about the true Religion except the wrong ideas about it which they had received from their parents.... They knew nothing about the Mass and thought the sacraments were only external signs and had no power to give grace. They did not believe in the authority of the Pope and denied the necessity of any visible Church...." The Story of the Church by Rev. George Johnson Ph. D
    Rev. Jerome D. Hannan, Ph.d jcd, Sister M Dominica OSU, PHD. (my apology about talking about the Prostestants in this forum. It became necessary because all the Protestant style of belching out hymn singing, in addtions to other external signs of people -centered , such as priest facing people, instead of the East, big deal on hand shaking, so many people up on the sanctuary on and on became almost normative in average local parish Mass. I heard many people come to Mass to hear mostly for good preaching, not for Eucharist, worse as some says' I go to that church because the priest can crack a joke.' The way we do Mass with the import of of Protestant styles has changed idea of Mass for many Catholics. Focus on hymn singing and sermon, not so much focusing on Eucharist.
    I'm a convert. His teachings based on denial of the Church is of course embedded in his Protestant doctorines and the service. Any woprship denies the True Christ's Church and Her teaching is not God -centered. The sole trust is their intellect and their own understandings and their own images of God. If you find more about his teachings and his way of service, you can let me know. I don't have much desire to inquire about his teachings anymore. I had more than enough experience of Protestant teachings and worships in my life, and I converted to avoid that.

Gavin, I know he was a great musician and had a musical taste. What does that mean to the Church and to the Catholics, when he denies the truth and even go out and teaches against the truth?
  • JamJam
    When your nerves need a break and you need some quiet prayer time, what's wrong with the Divine Office and personal prayers? The reason the Mass has dialogues is because the people of God come together to celebrate the Eucharist and they dialogue with the priest as they pray with the priest to God. If someone saying "et cum spirituo tuo" loudly breaks your concentration, then go pray in your closet, like it says in scripture. Saying the responses together is a much more visible sign of unity then everyone sitting in Mass in their own little worlds...

I don't think I'm articulating this right, but I don't know how to. There is no such thing as a "low" liturgy in the Orthodox church. Every Sunday is a feast, a solemn occasion yes but a joyful one also, and everyone sings, or at least the choir sings. The music isn't so difficult that lots of practice is needed, either. Maybe for Holy Week or Christmas, or weddings. Otherwise, once a week practice for the propers, and everything else is the same, what you know already. (Depending on the parish I guess.)

In Orthodoxy people have a lot of strong opinions about liturgical music, but it's not really a hot topic. People who don't like Byzantine chant at least seem to appreciate its role in the Orthodox church. They recognize the droning ison, swelling forth from the choir, as representing the light of Christ, illuminating all things. They understand that history and tradition are utterly important, despite their personal preferences.

I'm very musically minded, too, but even when my nerves are jangled I still don't understand the appeal of celebrating the Eucharist without the kind of joy that bursts forth from one as song. I guess that's because my nerves only get jangled from time to time when I accompany friends to Mass, and not regularly every Sunday.

I just think that the Mass is primarily corporate prayer time, not personal prayer time (although there is always that element present!). So the corporate prayers are more important at Mass than the personal ones.

Maybe I am misunderstanding people. Or mangling my point. Let me know if that's the case.
  • miacoyne
    "So the corporate prayers are more important at Mass than the personal ones."

When people say prayers internally at Mass they are not necessarily saying 'personal prayers'. They are saying Liturgical prayers together that the Church prepared, united with priest and servers. So in this case I think the 'personal prayers' have a bit different meaning
  • Anhaga
    I think Low Mass can provide a very good musical setting for organ solo. The moments of silence are elevated with the dignified sound of organ. It is so beautiful. And it gives a good break to struggling choirs and allows them to prepare lesser number of songs with better quality.
  • Chrism
    Jam, the Low Mass can be dated back at least 1400 years. It's an integral part of Western liturgical Tradition which might have its roots in the catacombs. There is the kind of quiet joy that erupts from the heart of a father looking at a newborn. As Catholics, we adore the Eucharist with latria worship because the Eucharist is God, the newborn, crucified and risen Christ, the gift of the Father to redeem us from our sins. We don't have to show off joy with exterior emotions and noisemaking. The angels spoke and there were songs of joy, but the kings prostrated themselves before Him.

That Mass is corporate prayer time does not mean that everyone needs to pray out loud. The most important thing you can do at Mass is pray interiorly. If you pray with your lips, your heart must be united with the words, "mens concordet voci" according to the Rule of St. Benedict. One thing Low Mass can remind us is that just because we say or sing all the parts of the Mass each week, or even every day, doesn't mean that we are actually praying the Mass. We might have fallen into the habit of the babbling pagans, which would avail us nothing but guilt. In any event, for us laypeople, the most important words of the Mass are those we listen to, and that is true in every rite of the Church.
  • JamJam
    I guess I just don't understand someone's comment about a loud "et cum spiritu tuo" being distracting, because that is a part of the Mass, and you can't go to Mass and be distracted by the Mass... you know?
  • Chrism
    It isn't part of the Mass at a quiet Low Mass (missa privata). The missals I have say P. and S., Priest and Server. But even at a dialogue Mass, screaming is part of the Mass poorly executed. Bad singing can also be distracting.

I also get distracted when the little boy says the priest's parts along with him. I guess I get easily distracted. Should I and those like me be effectively barred from access to grace because we get easily distracted?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Chrism, I don't think low Mass per se goes back that far (1400 years): I think it basically solidified in the Middle Ages, for monasteries, where each monk had to say his own Mass. According to Fortescue, eventually, low Mass started to have an effect on the celebration of High Mass, a very interesting development.

Jam, I feel your comments are not fully 'balanced.' You say things like:

If someone saying "et cum spirituo tuo" loudly breaks your concentration, then go pray in your closet,

...but, in spite of this statement, I really don't believe that silence is de facto inappropriate for the Sacrifice of Calvary.
  • Chrism
    Jeff O, Fortescue seems unclear as to which parts developed when, and how widespread the changes were. My understanding from reading him is that the common practice of private Masses developed between the 6th and 10th Centuries, but "isolated cases of private celebration go back to very early times" (The Mass, p. 189).
  • JamJam
    Ah, well. I get distracted easily too. It doesn't even have to be something outside of me; I get distracted by different trains of thought running through my head at the same time. Bad singing distracts me. Good singing distracts me. Babies distract me whether they're crying or angelically quiet. I distract myself when I try to find the alto part to hymns and end up missing the words entirely.

So, Chrism, don't care too much about what I say. Half of it comes from not understanding the low Mass (I've only been to three, and I was in the choir loft anyway) and the other half from not being terribly fond of it anyway.
  • aldenad
    Mother At Your Feet Is Kneeling, third verse (wedding)
  • hartleymartin
    I would prefer it if the Ordinary, Responses and Preface Dialogue were sung.

It has been the case that at college we have a sung mass on Tuesdays with the college's schola cantorum, and on Thursdays we have had exposition after mass. I have acted as cantor for this mass, singing only the ordinary, psalm and gospel acclamation, and providing organ interludes in place of the Introit, Offertory and Communion, though I might use one of the Ad libitum communions from the SEP. Without incense, the entrance procession and the preparation of the altar takes very little time and is better served by quiet organ music.

The one advantage of the OF over the EF is that one can do this, whereas in the EF one is either stuck with vernacular hymns only at a low mass, or is compelled to sing absolutely everything either according to the Liber Usualis or by Rossini Propers.
  • In the EF, a "sung mass" is sung. The rubrics regarding what is sung are there to ensure that the Mass is in fact sung. The music sung at a sung Mass can be sung recto tono if the choir is incapable of beautifully executing more elaborate melodies (a common situation unfortunately).

As a general rule, a single singer should not take the place of the choir. The only solo voices at Mass should be those of the celebrant, deacon and subdeacon.
  • bonniebede
    Queen Elizabeth I tried that here (banning the low Mass), it didn't work. We just went out on the hillsides and said it anyway. We still visit the Mass rocks where it was said.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Beautiful story, Bonnie. It reminds me of the episode in the life of Pope John Paul II when the Communists wouldn't allow the people of Nowa Huta to build a church. Nowa Huta was supposed to be the first city in the Soviet Union without God and churches were banned.

However, the people---most of them young Polish workers from the country----with the help and encouragement of Bishop Karol Wojtyla--- erected a cross in the middle of an empty field and gathered there for Mass even in the snow and rain. They wouldn't leave even when the Soviets arrived with bulldozers and tanks and eventually the Communists gave in.
  • SalieriSalieri
    What I would personally prefer in the OF is the strict distinction between Low Mass and High Mass, as in the EF - either sing everything or nothing. Rather than the mishmash that usually happens: Four hymns (no propers), partially sung ordinary, spoken dialogues.

Granted you need to be practical, and plopping a completely sung Mass on most congregations isn't the thing to do; this is where Pius XII's idea of slowly incorporating sung parts into a primarily said Mass in order to achieve the completely sung Mass comes into play. Part of where we've gone wrong is that we got Pius' order reversed, what he called the minimum, the first thing to be added (the dialogues), are almost never sung.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Banning the Low Mass simply guarantees really poor singing and music at Mass in many, if not most, places..

As I've said before, the expectation that every Sunday Mass have a sung psalm has done the same thing. People who should not be singing are singing.
    Thanked by 1R J Stove
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What I would personally prefer in the OF is the strict distinction between Low Mass and High Mass, as in the EF - either sing everything or nothing. Rather than the mishmash that usually happens: Four hymns (no propers), partially sung ordinary, spoken dialogues.

That seems like letting the often-terrible get in the way of the possibility for the good.

The relaxation of the rules was intended to allow for the Low Mass to have increased awesomeness, not for the High Mass to have decreased awesomeness.

And there is really no basis for the idea that somehow, for lack of an ability to add more awesomeness, everyone will just start doing High Mass. Low Mass -by whatever name it is called- is, has been, and will continue to be the dominant expression of parochial liturgical life unless and until it is banned entirely (and not even then).

The demands (and, frankly, the implied connotations) of High Mass are too, well, High for many people to think it worth doing on a regular basis. The ability to bring some of its awesomeness into the Low Mass is a good thing on at least two counts:
    1. More awesomeness.
    2. Increased awareness of the existence of awesomeness- which may lead some (who otherwise may have gone their whole life in mumbled-latin-purgatory) to learn about, seek out, and participate in the renewal of, the High Mass in all its awesomeness.

(Note usage of "awesome" in place of the usual "solemn," because WAY to many people today associate solemness with painful austerity.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    However, in my experience it has been the oposite, not that some of the beauty of the High Mass entered the Low Mass, but that the High Mass been completely stripped of its beauty. In point of fact, we have almost completely lost the High Mass in favor of a middle of the road, blah, ho-hum, Low Mass with sung Resp. Psalm, Sanctus and Agnus. We actually take the Low Mass as a paradigm and force the High Mass into it, esp. regarding length of music, e.g. the sung Gloria can't be any longer than it takes to recite it, or it will be recited because it "takes too long".

I personally have nothing against the Low Mass - in fact, some weekdays, I wish it still existed in its pre-conciliar entirety. For example, when the propers are hard to find (a new-ish optional memorial when you have to look at the commons and figure out which one of the seven introits would work best), and I know the people at that particular Mass don't sing anything (even though they've been 'singing' Sanctus XVIII for 25+ years), and I have to cantor and play. Then, I'd rather just play the organ at the entrance, offertory, communion and recessional, and let the people recite the ordinary, a la Dialogue Mass

In other words, given the choice between a Read Mass and a "Sung" Mass with "active participation of the faithful", (that is anything sung is sung only by the cantor(s)), I'd go with the Read Mass.

I say, let the High Mass be the High Mass, the Low Mass, the Low; then the people that will want to go to the High Mass with go to the High, those the Low Mass, the Low.

Kinda long and rambly, sorry.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Do you really think, though, that we have less High Mass than we would otherwise? Like, people who might be inclined to do it are now like, "Nah- you know- this is good enough"?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I know an elderly priest who actually did combine the EF Low Mass and High Mass, even though he called it a "High Mass." He would give us different instructions every week, depending, I guess, on how long his sermon was to be that day. The sung Kyrie, Gloria and propers were all optional to his mind, and he'd come up to the choir loft before Mass and tell us which parts of the liturgy he wanted us to omit. (!)

We tried to no avail to present the documents and explain that you can't do that in the Usus Antiquior, but after 40 years of the Novus Ordo, I think he was so used to the ad lib approach that he simply couldn't comprehend the difference. (We decided after a while to quietly move on to a different venue since that was really bizarre, but it does illustrate the confusion that exists out there.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think we've reached a static point in liturgical praxis. Static? No, stagnant. I don't know of a single MD or priest in my area that is actually trying to implement a Sung Mass along the lines of the Mahrt/Benedict Paradigm. That is, the High Mass quite simply does not exist; no one is inclined to do it - at all. Four hymns and a Sanctus - that's it : Low Mass with some of the ordinary sung (usually of the Haagen-Daasz variety). Whereas, perhaps, if there was a difinive distinction between the High Mass and the Low Mass, the High Mass might be more likely to happen. Perhaps.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think we've reached a static point in liturgical praxis. Static? No, stagnant.

This really resonates with our experience in the northeast. After 25 years of the Latin Mass being allowed in our diocese of 1.4 million Catholics, there are three sparsely attended Low Masses and a sporadic High Mass at one of those locations.

The problem, we've come to believe, is that the people in charge of promoting the Latin Mass here believe the ultimate paradigm for the Latin Mass is what they themselves experienced in the late 50's, which was almost exclusively a silent Low Mass.

In other words, as my husband likes to say, they took what was the lowest point of a liturgical era and imposed it as the "high water mark" of liturgical expression, simply because they did not know (and in many cases did not care to find out) that the pre-conciliar liturgical movement called for a completely different model of the Mass as outlined in De musica sacra.

We have recently been comparing the video celebrating 25 years of the Latin Mass at Saint-Eugene-Saint-Cecile at Paris with the outcome of 25 years of the Latin Mass in our own diocese. This is the inescapable conclusion at least as we see it:

Where the people are taught that participation in the traditional Latin Mass is at the very center of their spiritual lives, traditional Catholicism has a bright future. Conversely, where they are not allowed to participate in the traditional Latin Mass, the future of traditional Catholicism is very dim indeed.
  • SalieriSalieri
    There is not a single TLM in my diocese. Oddly enough we had one under Ecclesia Dei, however, most of the people that went to that were from different Dioceses, and once Summorum came out the attendence dried up. We had one at the parish, once a month on Thursdays for three years (two of which were after the Sunday one ended), until the priest who came went on sabbatical - of those three years only four were Low Masses: the first two, a 'laryngitis Mass', and one when the schola couldn't make it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Windsor Tridentine Latin Mass (http://www.windsorlatinmass.org) is the perfect example of an excellent Tridentine Mass site. They have a weekday Mass that is typically a Low Mass unless the Mass calls for a Gloria or Credo, in which case it becomes a Missa Cantata. The Sunday Mass is always a Missa Cantata or Solemn High Mass fully sung every week. They alternate weeks between Gregorian Masses and polyphonic Masses. The music is very serious and the chanting of propers is absolutely top notch. Incence, an army of altar servers, a truly glorious building, etc. Nobody works there full-time - its run by volunteers, some paid voices, and a Priest with two other full-time jobs (as an associate pastor and a vice principal of a giant high school).

If you're within a few hours of Windsor Ontario (or Detroit) and haven't been, it's time to go.
    Thanked by 2marajoy JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Glad you mentioned Windsor Latin Mass! They are a great source of inspiration, and I am much indebted to them for their vision and creativity. I've been using the music program page on their website for years to help give me ideas for our own music program.

We have to travel to a neighboring diocese, the Diocese of Brooklyn, in order to attend a Missa Cantata every Sunday, and we've modeled our music on the Windsor Latin Mass paradigm: classic congregational hymns, full propers from the Graduale Romanum, chant masses and polyphony. (We're not up to polyphonic masses yet, though.)

For example, here's Windsor's program for Pentecost:

May 31, 2009 - Pentecost Sunday
    Processional Hymn: Come, Holy Ghost, Creator Blest
    Vidi Aquam: I
    Kyrie: Mass for Three Voices (William Byrd)
    Gloria: Mass for Three Voices (William Byrd)
    Credo: III
    Offertory: Veni, Creátor Spíritus (Hymn)
    Sanctus: Mass for Three Voices (William Byrd)
    Agnus Dei: Mass for Three Voices (William Byrd)
    Communion: Bonus Est Dóminus (Palestrina)
    Crowning Hymn: On This Day, O Beautiful Mother
    Litany of Loreto
    Closing Hymn: Come Down, O Love Divine

They also have the chant notation for the priest's parts: the Collect, Epistle, Gospel, and Postcommunion Collect which I send to Father.

One other excellent idea we have taken from them: customized weekly handouts with the readings, prayers and hymns. I design these every week and have just recently begun to include notation for the propers. These go like hotcakes when we put them out every Sunday, and from what I have observed, newcomers from the Ordinary Form like them especially well. I think it reminds them of the "missalette." It's a great deal of work, but anything that helps people to feel at home at the Latin Mass is worth it.

One of our own "worship aids" for the Third Sunday after Easter is attached.
  • Mike R
    While the liturgical theologian in me agrees with you...I found myself longing for a Low Mass the last time I went to a Missa Cantata. Propers on Psalm tones, and really, really poor Latin pronunciation.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • Chrism
    Ok JulieColl, I have to ask what's the level of congregational participation? In general, and in the sung Propers in particular? And a follow-up question, how many times do you repeat the Introit and Communion on average each Sunday at the cemetery chapel?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's very good. The people sing along with the hymns of course, and they have learned a number of mass settings. When we learn a new mass we sing it for two months at a time to give people a chance to learn it, so if it's new, they don't sing as much of course, but after a few weeks, they're singing along very nicely.

With the Introit and Communion, we always practice them before Mass in the chapel, along with any new hymns or mass settings so the people have a chance to hear them.

So, with the Introit and Communion antiphons and sometimes with the Alleluias, the people will have heard them twice before Mass. We repeat the Introit during Mass so by that time, anyone that would like to sing along is quite able to follow along. If we have a very "singable" Communion antiphon, I always try to make sure we sing a few verses and the antiphon and that works very well, too.
    Thanked by 1Chrism