book recomendation? Fr. Columba Kelly
  • BGP
    Has anyone read "Gregorian Chant Intonations" by Fr. Columba Kelly or 'An Intro.to Interpretation of Gregorian Chant V#1' translated by him and If so would you recomend it?
    Was it helpful, ect. ?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    A few things to know: Fr. Kelly is a proponent of the semiological approach to chant interpretation, in the school of Cardine.

"Gregorian Chant Intonations and the Rule of Rhetoric" is certainly not for beginning studies in chant, and assumes knowledge in the basics of the semiological approach to interpretation as well as familiarity with the notation found in the Graduale triplex. It includes a CD recording of examples.

"An Intro. to Interpretation" is also not intended for beginners, and assumes a foundational knowledge in notation and execution of chant.
  • I recommend them both. It definitely will not be beginning material but it is very thorough and very useful.
  • BGP
    Thanks, I'm aware that these books aren't for beginners I'm interested in learning more about Cardines ideas. Though I will most likely continue to use the solsmes method I would like to incorporate some of the more recent scholarship in performance within that context if possible, I figure it never hurts to learn more.

Adam, of the two is their one you recommend I read first?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    If I may suggest, there is a small book (very small as in more like a lengthy article) entitled, "An Overview of Gregorian Chant". It is a reprint excerpt of a larger work by Cardine that sets forth the basics of his approach to chant and semiology. It is available from the Scholar Shop at St. Meinrad School of Theology.

Then, I'd read the "Intro" before treading into the deeper waters of "Gregorian Chant Intonations".

Just my two-cents.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks for all the info. I'm with BGP, keep learning how to make chants sound more beautiful.
    I found the small book "Chant made Simple' by Fowells was indeed simple and very helpful.
  • I would go with "Intonations" first. The book is a bit unique in that it is split into two somewhat distinct sections: The first half is really musicological data that is very interesting, but not necessarily methodical. The second half, though, beginning with ch. 3 is essentially Fr.'s advanced chant course. It is very methodical and a good practical approach to implementing semiology in chant performance. The Agustoni/Göschl is a larger book and is very thorough. To be honest I haven't even made it all the way through this one yet! I say go for it if you have the time and attention to dedicate to it.
  • BGP
    Ok, the "Intonations" book sounds like it contains practical performance info the 'nuts and bolts' which is what I'm looking for, I'll check that one out first, after reading the 'Overview' booklet.

Thanks all,