Peuple De Dieu - tell me more....
  • Jean-Paul Lecot - composer and a great organist. I recall Pope John Paul II was enthusiastic about Lecot's hymns.

http://www.amazon.fr/Chants-Lourdes-Vol-1-Seigneur-Changez/dp/B0024J0OEW/
  • It appears this a PD tune they have sung for years, we are hearing and seeing his arrangement and harmonization....tell me if I am wrong. How do we find the original text it was sung with?
  • Aha!

jEglise du Seigneur - K 128
    T. et Harm: J.P.Lecot
    Musique: Adam de Saint Victor (XIII s)
    Arr: Abbé Joseph d'Haudimont (1751-1793) Prose ancienne N.D. de Paris
  • xIII + (1751-1793) + Prose ancienne N.D. de Paris = Public Domain, no? [the tune, setting and poetry] I cna see him copyrighting his rather cool arrangement, but the Text, too? Hmmm....

And this page shows: © ANFOL - ANNECY 1997 - éditions P. Lethielleux [the home of Paccard Bells and Cheese heated and scraped and eaten. the town is up in the french mountains - Annecy, that is - and has canals and a lake....with a beach. A French beach. In the mountains.]
  • More: il ne reste pas grand-chose de la "Prose de la dédicace" propre à Notre-Dame de Paris, d'Adam de St-Victor (XIIIe s.). La mélodie de la présente version est un montage réalisé à partir d'extraits de l'original, qui détruit l'architecture musicale de la composition. L'écoute de l'original est très révélatrice. Quant au texte français, il n'a rien à voir avec les intentions de l'auteur.

Hmmmm.
  • The organ sounds like FIRE! It has Harmonic stops, flue pipes, that are brought on after the mixtures before the reeds are added to give a very smooth transition, like watching a blue flame turn orange. Harmonic pitches include the Septieme, the flatted seventh tuned pure.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • incantuincantu
    We sing this all the time, although we try to stick to just two or three different tempos for each verse. By the way, if anyone knows this hymn better than I do, are you aware of an alternate text for "louange a toi"? We use a variant that I found online. Grammatically the version here makes no sense to me, but I'm not a native speaker.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    More: il ne reste pas grand-chose de la "Prose de la dédicace" propre à Notre-Dame de Paris, d'Adam de St-Victor (XIIIe s.). La mélodie de la présente version est un montage réalisé à partir d'extraits de l'original, qui détruit l'architecture musicale de la composition. L'écoute de l'original est très révélatrice. Quant au texte français, il n'a rien à voir avec les intentions de l'auteur.

Hmmmm.

According to this webiste, the sequence or prose for the dedication of a church used for Peuple de Dieu might be Jerusalem et Sion filiae. You can find the Latin sequence and an English translation in Digby S. Wrangham, The liturgical poetry of Adam of St. Victor, vol. I (London, 1881), pp. 156–161. However, after a quick glance at the text, I can't believe it's the origin of Peuple de Dieu.

Steven
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I just noticed that today, at the first mass celebrated at Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris since the massive fire, this song was used as the entrance chant:

https://youtu.be/1GR_NqXFNdA?t=98

For me, it was an apt opportunity to look into this chant again. It seems that Jean-Paul Lécot indeed used parts of the original (18th century) melody to build a complete new composition only resembling the source, while using a new text of his own writing that has nothing to do with the ancient prose "Jerusalem et Sion" of Adam de St. Victor. See the original chant and listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhH5JrIiT7I

The even verses (repetition of the uneven verses) are played/improvised by the organ.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mmeladirectress
    they haven't replaced the table altar~ !
  • IdeK
    The mass was celebrated in a side chapel because the sanctuary is still unsafe (no one goes there, the work is made by robots). The replacement of the altar is a choice for the years to come, and not the more urgent.

I understand "Peuple de Dieu" is very often sung as an Entrance hymn for the feast of the Dedication of Notre-Dame de Paris (feast celebrated yesterday). It is a bit far away from the original prose but is still a very good hymn, and well known in many a parish.

The verse "louange à toi" is the most well-known version of this hymn. However, at Notre-Dame, they sing "Rends grâce à Dieu" instead.
  • The marvelous symbol was to celebrate the mass of the Dedication, for this "first mass". The even more touching symbol was that this processionnal hymn (at least its musical theme) has been composed for the ORIGINAL DEDICATION of the same cathedral, 900 years ago !!! Deo Gratias...
    Of course, there have been many changes to it, last (??) by Lecot (still playing and composing in Lourdes)... but still... a flavor of eternity !
  • IdeK
    What is fun is Hugh de Saint-Victor, the first composer of the Prose, never saw the cathedral as we know it, since he died 20 years before the beginning of the works on the Gothic cathedral. The cathedral of his time was a Romanesque building, of which remain only elements of the last part built, i.e. the Portal Sainte-Anne, built after Hugh's death ca. 1045-1050, and some sculptures in the Louvre and Musée de Cluny.

Since that time, there has been several consecrations of Notre-Dame, the last on June 16th, 1989, by Cardinal Lustiger. It is the one that was commemorated last Saturday.