No respect for hymns.
  • While in the midst of a hymn search request I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYrRoh9eAI4

Without discussing the hymn itself, what is there that distinguishes this from one of the club sandwich hymns Catholic church hymns sung this morning all over the US?

Respect for the hymn, that's what I find lacking in the Catholic church. These people, no matter what I think of how it is played or how it was composed, these people are there to sing the hymn, not getting Fr. to the altar and getting on with it.

It's the empty, lack of respect for the hymn, total ignorance of the import of the text that I find appalling in most Catholic churches. Which is compounded times 4 each Sunda.

Tell me I'm wrong.
  • Chrism
    Where I sing, the congregation mostly respects the recessional hymn, remaining standing and sometimes singing along even after Father has left the sanctuary.
  • don roy
    frogman
    id love to tell you that your wrong but my experiences are quite similar to yours. Whats really bad about two thirds of the church emptying out before vs 1 of the closing hymn is sung, is that the remaing third are so confused they quit singing.
    its all very annoying and really makes me want to chuck the closing hymn entirely. I already quit playing postludes because they were ,at best, merely something to talk over.
  • Good grief, it's like 82 verses, each more disorienting than the last. "All are welcome in this place" -- that is, if you can stand the music.
  • miacoyne
    We sang yesterday Salve Regina at the end, everyone stayed including the priest. We felt so Catholic and proud to be Catholic! (because we sing this everyweek, people know it.)
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Well Jeffrey, I've heard much worse hymns in Catholic parishes. At least many Anglican and Lutheran composers are (i.e. "contemporary" music) composing in the style of a hymn rather than a simple song.

As to the length, ISTM we Catholics started this hurried perfomance of music that accompanies processions and other actions in the sanctuary. When was it that the Introit got whittled down to only one Psalm verse? And the Gradual? And the Offertory? Only recently have we been allowed or encouraged to add Psalm verses to the Communion Antiphon once again - after how many centuries?

Shortly after I took over leading the music at Our Lady of Walsingham (Anglican Use - very traditional - all the verses in The Hymnal 1940) one of our cradle-Catholics asked me why we sing all those verses. I answered:

First, it is at least a poem. You wouldn't sint down and read one or two verses of a Shakespeare sonnet, and then get up and go cook dinner! It is, and at least should be, a prayer. You wouldn't say the first half of the Hail Mary, and go on about your business.

Second, it's a more practical reason. In main-stream Catholic parishes, when a new hymn is introduced, it could be sung every Sunday for a month. But, with only 1 or 2 verses being sung each time, at the end of the month you still don't know the hymn. But here, I have picked the hymn to reflect the thoughts of the day - usually all of the Readings, and other considerations - and this combination won't come again for 3 years. You might not want to join in on the 1st verse, and you might be a bit shaky feeling your way through the 2nd, even the 3rd. But by the fourth or 4th or 5th verse, YOU KNOW THIS HYMN!

I was amazed over a year later, when we had some visiting cradle-Catholics, SHE was asked the same question. And, from across the room, I heard her repeat me almost verbatim!

No, the hymns are not the Propers. But they CAN be as meaningful when understood and respected.
  • miacoyne
    What I heard from many parishioners is that they are very tired of singing so much on Sunday Mass, and by the end of the Mass they just had enough of singing for the day and want to exit out as soon as they can. Maybe musicians are expecting so much music from average people to sing. (even good things if there are too much, people have hard time taking them.) Manybe it's the quality not the quantity that music directors to think about to help people sing.

Also it makes me think that the Sunday Mass we have in many parishes is a mixture of High and low Mass (or neither by the same tocken)asking people to sing both Ordinaries AND the hymns, leaving not much place for choir and listening. Maybe there is much more room and proper places for hymns other than in Mass?
  • Amen to Steve. His remarks are cogent, his analogies apt.
    At Walsingham we sing all stanzas of all hymns because we understand that hymns, when used, are integral to the mass. (If they are not, then someone has failed miserably in his choices.) We also sing them all at UST's St Basil's chapel, including the hymn at the dismissal for which all stay and all sing - they love to sing!
    We are all aware here that hymns do not form an organic part of the Roman rite. They have, though, become de facto ancillaries to the rite, replacing or accompanying the propers in probably most parishes. The appropriate attitude, then, is not to denigrate them but to choose them carefully and use them intelligently. They are not inherently bad - and this constant approbation of them and reference to them as a 'four hymn sandwich' is tiring, neither amusing, clever, cute, nor intelligent. Having said that, I do, verily, appreciate that the Roman rite is correctly celebrated with propers, not hymns. But hymns, if they are going to be sung, do not have to be an irrelevant and meaningless or ugly accretion.

And, I will repeat here what I recommended in greater detail in the discussion about the English hymns project. There is a great need for a Catholic hymnary whose content shadows all feasts of the lectionary and whose artistry, both of text and music, is impeccably fine. Whether or not it contains items which are under copyright is irrelevant to the goal of being able to choose excellent hymns from an enviable Catholic Hymnal which are 'proper' to any and every liturgy. Contrary to the reaction of some, such a hymnal - if wisely guided - needs not be any larger than The Hymnal 1940.
  • CharlesW
    I have never seen it as an either/or situation. It's entirely possible to have good hymns and good propers. BTW, not every proper composed is worth doing. There are some awful propers out there, too.
  • GavinGavin
    Noel is sadly right. I wish I had a way to see hymns as more important, but I just don't see how it can be done without altering the form of the Mass. Although I will say that a priest's "ars celebrandi" can contribute to this. My former boss would wait 1 verse of the Entrance hymn before processing, and if he used incense then often even the longest hymn would need a "postlude" to cover the incensing. For offertory, if it went long he would - get this - stand at the altar and PRAY! Imagine that, a priest praying at Mass! What a crazy idea, aren't they just supposed to be cranking out Sacraments as quickly as possible??? And same thing - if there was incense (every funeral), it meant no hymn could be long enough. We ditched the communion hymn, and at the closing, he would wait until the last verse to process out, and so the congregation was "trapped". This can do so much for how a congregation views the hymns (which, it needs repeating, are only a substitute for the propers)

And yet, at my Episcopal church this morning, we sang all 8 or 9 verses of "I Bind Unto Myself Today". I had tears in my eyes after, not only because of the beauty of the text and the tune, but also for those Catholic musicians who have to stick to one verse of mediocre hymnody.
  • miacoyne
    I was shocked longtime ago when I found out the sad truth that music is not so important part of daily life in most people. I studied music almost all my life and taught. I expected people have respect for music and care for good music. Not many people have time to care for good music in general, sacred or secular. Music is just a past time thing and entertainment in these days, something to listen to while driving a car, or relax, and maybe once in awhile go to a pop or classical concert.
    Music directors work hard and proud of organizing good music and hymns every week. And they expect that people would respond to their efforts. Some do. But the idea of coming to Mass for most people is not about singing so many hymns and struggling through unfamiliar tunes and hard words (musicians might think they can pick up tunes after couple of verses, but unfortunately their ears are not tuned so much into this kind of serious music. That's why contemporary pop-sacro music is popluar, because they can follow tunes easily, and texts are also pretty simple. I really feel people are asked to sing way too much in the Mass in many parishes. No one here is against good hymns, but musicians can consider reducing the number of hymns in the Mass, and finding the proper places for the respect of the hymns and encouraging the people to sing them, not forcing them. Also train the choir to a higher level so they can provide beautiful music through which people can truly lift their hearts and experience the beauty. I know some people with conscience will pick up the hymnals, because priests said repeatedly that if we don't, we are not participating. If we keep pushing hymn singing, pop -sacro hymns will prevail, because that's what average people are used to and therefore can do without much struggling during Mass.
    Trying to have people sing so many hymns are not the way to gain respect for good hymns or singing in general.
  • Yes, friends, I agree with all of you in one way or another. As a convert, I see the problem as singing too many hymns at one Mass. We must work to convince the priests that 2 hymns are plenty (that is what we do at the "solemn high Mass" here). Also, we sing the "final hymn" after communion and before the final collect. In other words, the congregation is "trapped" and can not leave until the final blessing. The priests, servers, and choir process out during the organ postlude. This seems to work well for us. Also, I guess that we are strange in that I insist on the introit being sung and then we sing the processional hymn. I guess that is having your cake and eating it too. Yes, I realize that this is somewhat of an overkill but at least we get the propers sung!
  • chonakchonak
    There's no respect for hymns sung during entrance and final processions, if there's no respect for the processions.
  • Could someone identify this hymn, which is rather well sung...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USKeYFPDX0&feature=PlayList&p=D78F5BBC3887DFC1
  • The disrespect may be more fundamental than the lack of respect for the hymn. Where there is great respect for Our Eucharistic Lord in the Tabernacle, this respect can overflow into other aspects of worship as well as into parish life. The general lack of good catechesis about what Holy Mass is about often has a companion namely zero catechesis on music in the life of the Church -- the Propers, chant in general, and metrical hymnody. When a congregation does not realise that every Mass is a miracle ... oy vey.
  • priorstf
    Remember the loneliest things in a Catholic church: the first pew and the third verse.
  • Mr. Z
    FNJ, good observation.

Why don't Catholics "honor" the hymn?

Couple of reasons I can think of. One, the hymn is really not proper to the rite. Those who really care about the rite cannot give full and unqualified support (at least on a week to week to week basis) to what is basically a compromise or a "stand in" for what should really be going on, and that is, of course, the sung propers for the day.

Second, for those who have decided in their wisdom that the music of the church is best conceived and presented as an entertaining (as in catchy) quasi pop (of whatever flavor) format - those folks HATE hymns for the most part, and see a hymn, especially an "old" hymn as assailing that which they hold sacred, i.e. their right to be entertained by their "flavor of the month" pop format 'hit" selection. Haugen, for one, is called upon, or "allowed" (tolerated) to be utilized in this context because of his unabashed political correctness (don't you just love the "God wants God's people to do God's will" sort of phraseology!!) and as way of throwing those hymn requesters a "bone." "See, we are traditional, we just sang a "hymn" for goodness sake," now leave us be and let us get back to our "jazz mass." Interesting take on the "jazz mass" of this church, taken from the youtube notes:

"Redeemer's annual Jazz Mass is held on the last Sunday before Lent. It is our Mardi Gras celebration before the contemplative season of Lent begins."

This gives the idea of the "calender" of the liturgical year a whole new facelift. Wonder how many wore costumes to this celebration. Interesting the choice of the word "contemplative" as the description for Lenten season.

Hymns are fine, but no way do they compare with a sung propers in our liturgies. I agree with FNJ's basic premise that it is particularly egregious to use the hymn as "walkup" parade music, as as soon as father's feet touch the santuary, slam bam the hymn is over regardless of the verse. Jarring, but here, in the case of this hymn, I could make an exception.
  • Chrism
    Here's Musicae Sacrae (1955) on extra-liturgical hymns:

The tunes of these hymns, which are often sung in the language of the people, are memorized with almost no effort or labor. The mind grasps the words and the music. They are frequently repeated and completely understood. Hence even boys and girls, learning these sacred hymns at a tender age, are greatly helped by them to know, appreciate and memorize the truths of the faith. Therefore they also serve as a sort of catechism. These religious hymns bring pure and chaste joy to young people and adults during times of recreation. They give a kind of religious grandeur to their more solemn assemblies and gatherings. They bring pious joy, sweet consolation and spiritual progress to Christian families themselves. Hence these popular religious hymns are of great help to the Catholic apostolate and should be carefully cultivated and promoted. (para. 37)

AFAIK, Musicae Sacrae is the only Papal Encyclical on Sacred Music.
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, in case anyone didn't read the details of that YouTube page, the "jazz mass" was not at a Catholic church.
  • GavinGavin
    "the "jazz mass" was not at a Catholic church."

One could tell by the presence of the altar rail.
  • Mr. Z
    Well, it was well understood here as to whose mass it was/wasn't

There it is on the page, Catholics commenting and explaining that they feel more Episcopal or want to convert there, or our church (local Catholic) is almost as liberal.
  • chonakchonak
    To be sure, Mr. Z; that clarification happened to come after your post, but it wasn't meant for you.

I added that for third parties reading the page, including people who might not even post a comment. It's common for people to see some unusual event in a YouTube church video and worry about whether it happened in a Catholic church.
  • Mr. Z
    Well sure, and I had just edited my posting to pull back from a litany of "more liberal than thou's" regarding present day Lutheranism and Episcopalianism vs "out there" Catholicism that were, let's say, not quite in the spirit of VII ecumenism. And I promised JT to behave myself. But the "not a Catholic church" evidence is there for those who know what to look for.

Here, as one pointed out, (irony of ironies) is the tell-tale intact communion rail The Lutheran penned PC hymn just gets one close to a determination. The "jazz mass" is not so Catholic, more L or E. Catholics have more "gospel masses." The real give away, is just as FNJ says with his lead off, the respect for hymnody. Also the more or less "robust" organ playing leading the hymn is untypical of Catholic churches, (no offense meant to Catholic organists who would approach a hymn exactly this way, or perhaps use another effective approach). Also the altar girls in black Roman cassock and surplice is not typical of Catholic churches that employ altar girls, they would usually be albed. And the altar servers probably would not sing as (hate to say robust again, but) robustly.
  • miacoyne
    '...These religious hymns bring pure and chaste joy to young people and adults during times of recreation. They give a kind of religious grandeur to their more solemn assemblies and gatherings..."

Chrism or anyone, Is this document encouraging the hymn singing for high Mass, or other assemblies? Religious songs for recreation and also solemn assemblies? What are the solemn assemblies? (maybe there were more gatherings and assemblies in 1955 that we lost now? )
  • A sort of Catechism

"The tunes of these hymns, which are often sung in the language of the people, are memorized with almost no effort or labor. The mind grasps the words and the music. They are frequently repeated and completely understood. Hence even boys and girls, learning these sacred hymns at a tender age, are greatly helped by them to know, appreciate and memorize the truths of the faith. Therefore they also serve as a sort of catechism."
  • miacoyne
    So hymns can be a sort of catechism, but I don't see anywhere says they should be used for the Sung Mass.
  • Mr. Z
    Chrism says "Here's Musicae Sacrae (1955) on extra-liturgical hymns:"

miacoyne, I believe that English is a second language for you, and for even myself and other native speakers, it is not always so clear what is being said or suggested, but here I believe the key word is extra-liturgical, which would suggest "not of, or not in the liturgy" but for other uses, perhaps, or maybe I am not reading this correctly.

So the question for me: Are hymns being referred to as "extra-liturgical" because of their application outside of the mass, IOW, not to be used in the liturgy (as a rule) or are hymns, by definition, extra-liturgical - and this would then be a sort of redundancy - in which case this would suggest the sanctioning (allowing) for liturgical use an extra-liturgical element. Really I don't know - so if anyone
  • miacoyne
    Mr. Z. Thank you so much for pointing it out. Extra- liturgical... as you said it's still confusing. (English is not so easy for me, but documents are also not so easy to understand.)
  • mjballoumjballou
    Hymns are traveling music in the Latin Rite. When Father gets where he's going, you're supposed to stop. I know there are wonderful exceptions, but they are just that - exceptions.

Where I play on Saturdays, the priest leaves through the side to the sacristy. As soon as he's out of sight, all bets are off and the congregation runs away. Heck, when I looked over halfway through the first stanza of Now Thank We All Our God, they were probably already in the parking lot. Those who were left were waiting to purchase candles or read private devotions. No one was looking at "Word and Song."

Maybe I should just play vamps on the organ. (I'm only kidding.)
  • miacoyne
    Techinically the Mass is over, and as a manner people wait until the priest leaves. After that, in people's minds they are free to do whatever they need to do. I usually sit and wait the organ playing is all done, but most people don't pay attention to that.
  • Hymns, but also, Verses of the Propers are also traveling music.
  • miacoyne
    Aren't the Propers supposed to follow the actions, but not hymns? I don't think hymns have anything to do with liturgical actions.
  • The Introit, Offertory and Communio Antiphons are to sung, followed by the verses until the procession has ceased.

I consider the fact that the number of verses sung to be limited to the time of the procession to make them traveling music....and traveling music meant, as in hymns being really sung, not in a bad way.

Singing a hymn just to fill time...and if the people are not properly informed what it is and given time to find it, and the introduction is shortened or is just the last line (name that tune, 10 notes from the end) is played and the tempo is inappropriate....

That's traveling music in a bad way especially when they are are following the actions
  • eft94530eft94530
    Your video example presents a non-Catholic event.
    The expected music at that event, at that entrance moment, is a hymn.
    They respect their tradition.

The Catholic event is Mass.
    The expected music at that entrance moment is a Proper chant.
    We do not respect our tradition, and the chant is ignored, we substitute something else.

If there is no respect for the official chants (Introit, Offertory, Communion) of the Church,
    why should you expect any respect for something that substitutes for them?

And having worked diligently to get people to respect one or more hymns,
    why should the people be happy to set them aside and give respect to the chant?

Hymns do not "belong" at Mass, they are permitted at Mass (in the USA).
    The efforts expended to select a hymn will suggest the meaning in the mind of the musician(s).
    It is to be hoped that the meaning is also close to the mind of the Church.
    But the Church has already spoken Her mind in the Propers,
    and some (clerics, liturgists, musicians, whatever) do not want to let those words (or melodies) be heard.

There is no respect for the Propers.
  • eft, this is a great way to put it: "Hymns do not "belong" at Mass, they are permitted at Mass (in the USA)."
  • Chrism
    Mr. Z and miacoyne, the phrase "extra-liturgical" was my paraphrase on Musicae Sacrae, paragraph 36, which directly precedes the paragraph I quoted above:

We must also hold in honor that music which is not primarily a part of the sacred liturgy, but which by its power and purpose greatly aids religion. This music is therefore rightly called religious music. The Church has possessed such music from the beginning and it has developed happily under the Church's auspices. As experience shows, it can exercise great and salutary force and power on the souls of the faithful, both when it is used in churches during non-liturgical services and ceremonies, or when it is used outside churches at various solemnities and celebrations.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Chrism for clarifying it, and what the Church stands for the religious music is very clear.
    I was keep thinking about the previous document , and concluded it must mean non-liturgical because the content didn't mention anything about the Mass or Liturgy of the Hour, but aseemblies and gatherings. So it must mean hymns that are not office hymns and non-liturgical.

I have respect for hymns, but I'd like to hear them in the proper places with the respect for the tradition of our Liturgy as EFT says.
    People will have respect for hymns when they are in the proper places.

When you think about it, in Mass, there isn't really room for hymns, maybe after the communion is over as a thanksgiving? (of course after the communio is sung)
    And after the Mass is over? (Recessional Hymn is not a technically part of the Mass, so I guess you could add. But I still rather sing Salve Regina or other seaonal Gregorian Marian Hymns.)

There are problems of hymn singing in Mass,
    first, we need to worry about cutting stanzas, not to have the priest wait. As you know many hymns cannot stop after the 3rd stanzas.

Another one, when you hear protestant style of the German chorale hymns we called 'traditional hymns' are not from the Catholic liturgy. The dominance of the organ is often times over powering the singing. When you hear that kind of hymn singing with 'stunning' organ playing, as posted some another thread,( sometimes you don't even know who is leading who, or who is accompanying who), compare to chant organ accopaniment (when it's done), maybe chant accompaniment sound too humble? (well, Main focus of the Mass is about the Holy Sacrifice he offere to us with humility and love.)
    Organ has the highest esteem among other instrument in the Mass, but never overpowering the singing, truly accompanying and supporting, but not dominating the singing in Mass. I believe music directors who are truly called for ministry of the people have a huge responsibility, especially in our time, to help us learn the true meaning of the liturgy. Just folloowing what is done, especailly after Vatican II where many people were confused and set the wrong path, may not be the right way to accomplish that goal.
  • GavinGavin
    "When you think about it, in Mass, there isn't really room for hymns"

Mia, have you seen the chapter in Laslo Dzobay's (sorry for the spelling, he's Hungarian...) book "The Bugnini-Liturgy" where he talks about Alius Cantus Aptus? He proposes several places besides replacing propers where hymns would benefit the liturgy. I can't remember them all, but I believe some suggestions he proposed are before the Introit, before the sermon, after the offertory antiphon, after the communion antiphon, the "thanksgiving" after communion, and a hymn after Mass. It needn't be an either-or.
  • miacoyne
    As I said, there might be a couple of places you can have hymns. Just make sure people are not asked to sing too much, and please always help them to sing the Church's prayers first and have time to listen quietely, and most of all, be abled to focus on Sacrament. Thanks.
  • Frogman,
    The hymn being sung is "Peuple de Dieu" and the score can be found at:
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/87bebfbf-d6ea-44bc-85e3-49b2421d30a7/Eglise-du-Seigneur,-K-128,-Rém

It's a traditional-and-well-beloved recessional hymn for French Catholics.
  • Donnaswan
    Patricia Cecilia. Are you the person who wanted my copies of 'Magnificat' by Porpora? I put my Email address up here, but never heard from you.

They are taking up valuable space around my piano! LOL

Donna Swan
  • Donnaswan
    We sing all the verses of all the hymns, which I choose according to the readings of the day. 'Eagle's wings' has NEVER been sung as a part of any Sunday Liturgy I'm in charge of.The choir will sing Latin Introits on occasion, and Latin Anthems. This is as far as I can go under orders from boss. I like my job and intend to keep it until I am old and grey. As I have said on another thread- the perfect is the enemy of the good. I love hymns and intend to have a lot of them sung at my Anglican funeral. And good organ playing, with varying harmonizations can inspire choir and congregation to sing lustily. Nothing worse than wussy playing from an organist on the hymns. Hymns such as 'Lift high the Cross' are not meant to be accompanied by quiet playing! Celebrants here wait at least two vss and sometimes more so they can go out on the final verse of Recessional hymn.

Donna
  • miacoyne
    I love all kinds of music. My friend who is in contemporary band says he wants to worship God the way he wants and with the hymns he likes with good guitar chords and all.
  • CharlesW
    But then there was the assistant pastor we once had, who would not leave the altar until the 10th verse, if such existed. Then we had the one who was out the door on the first verse. Priests! They are barely trainable. ;-)

I, too, love powerful hymns that are powerfully played. I sometimes even pull on the Mixture Horribilis III on the last verse of "Lift High the Cross."
  • Donna's comments are spot on! Those who have a categorical repugnance to hymns at mass probably don't know much about how to play them on real organs, nor what they can add to the liturgy when played and sung artfully by choir and congregation. One is not at all challenging the assertion that the Roman rite has propers, not hymns - and is desirably celebrated thus. However, as has been pointed out above, hymns ARE approved for singing at mass in this country. This, then, makes them by law and custom not totally foreign elements. What is standing in the way of choosing 'proper' hymns and performing them in such manner that they are the fine musical and literary ornaments to the mass that they have the potential for being? They are certainly no more out of place than offertory and communion motets and anthems which, strictly speaking, are equally extraneous to the rite.
  • At Walsingham and St. Basils is it the practice to process out and delay the final blessing until after the last verse of the hymn? That makes a tremendous difference and explains why people stay.
  • An interesting question - or point - Noel. The answer, though, is 'no'. I think that, though (of course) the mass is ended with ite missa est, it does make some sense for a 'proper' hymn to be sung as the sacred ministers depart; and that the same ministers should respect this sacred literary event by participating in it and taking their time departing. A hymn, naturally, is not necessarily the only suitable music for departing. An appropriate organ piece or improvisation is equally suitable. What is totally wrong is the mad rush for the door the moment 'the mass is ended', 'thanks be to God' is said (sung). One gets the impression at some parishes that sacred ministers and people alike really mean 'thanks be to God that it's over'.
  • Donnaswan,
    At both my 'work church' (Anglican, where I am the choirmaster) and my home (Catholic) parish, the priest waits until near the end of the recessional hymn to start out so that we can sing all the verses of the final hymn. But when my schola (Catholic) is singing Mass elsewhere that is not always the case. At the Anglican parish, it's expected that if I think that the procession is going more slowly than the hymn will last, I let the organist know to improvise an interlude (and sometimes do a 'cathedral modulation') between the penultimate verse and the final one. (And he is an excellent liturgical organist who loves the liturgy as well as a good performer...and when he is out of town it is next to impossible to find substitutes, and certainly not one who fills his shoes...separate problem, of course.)

I agree with you totally about "good organ playing" and "wussy playing".

Gavin, what you list as the addition of hymns before or after the propers is exactly what my Anglican church does (sung liturgy is always Rite I with The English Gradual/Anglican Gradual propers and, occasionally on feast days, Latin propers from the Liber or Latin motet propers) as does my home parish when the main Mass is MIssa Cantata (otherwise it is Low Mass with four hymns and a Communion anthem; obviously, the hymns at Offertory and Communion at the EF are in Latin, and the seasonal Marian antiphon often makes an appearance).

Miacoyne has a point about teaching the congregation to sing the responses and Ordinary first, although that can be a hard sell in many parishes.

Hymns at Mass have to pass the same test as any other piece of music that could go at the same place; if it's not the proper that belongs there ("option 1"), anything else has to meet standards of theological truth, congruence with the lectionary, excellent tune and lyrics, truly sacred nature...and that is a whole other discussion on these forums!

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.