Can Vespers of the BVM be prayed even when it's not proper?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    I teach at a Catholic school called Providence Academy. We've been emphasizing more in recent years the patronage of Our Lady of Divine Providence. There are traditions of a feast under this title of Our Lady in Puerto Rico and elsewhere on November 19, though it is not in the Roman calendar, nor the local calendar here in MN. I would like to sing II Vespers of the BVM from the Liber Usualis on this day. I know a votive mass of the BVM can be offered on days when it's not the proper mass. Is it also possible to celebrate a "votive vespers"?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I believe that lay people who are not bound by canon law under holy orders can pray in any form they wish, as long as it doesn't run contrary to the teachings of the Church. SFAIK only folk in holy orders are bound to pray the official or approved form of the offices as a part of their obligations under canon law.
  • Chrism
    If this is a public liturgical celebration, then more rigor regarding the calendar might be called for.

I took a very quick skim through the 1961 Rubrics. Is Our Lady of Providence a duly constituted patron of the school? Does the school have an oratory?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    David, I'm aware that what you say is true, although I would like it to be a public liturgy. We also have two Dominican priests who are able to celebrate with us.

Chrism, no and no. Just last year we had an all-school mass (PK-12 rather than by lower, middle and upper school) on November 19 and that was the beginnings of our devotion.
  • chonakchonak
    You can always ask your diocesan office for worship for permission, and they'll probably grant it.
  • Chrism
    If you're going to ask the diocese, you might as well ask the Dominicans first.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Yup, I just sent an email to one of our priests. Thanks!