Who knows about this ?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I have a copy, so does my parish. I've used it a few times (since I'm such a fan of hymnody). It does contain some "modified" texts, though. It doesn't hold a candle to "The Hymnal 1940" for either its musical or Catholic content. It doesn't waste paper, though, on "G&P" schlock. It is really about hymns.
  • well, it's rather interesting, isn't it? all public domain. A nice filter, it seems.
  • Kathy
    (frustration)
  • Kathy? Why?
  • Kathy
    Sorry--I was just reacting to the idea that hymns have to be old to be good. Not that anyone has done much to dispel that notion.

Except, I've done a whole lot to dispel that notion.

Hence my frustration.
  • Right right. your point is granted.
  • Kathy
    Thanks, chilly-willy ;)
  • LOL

in any case, I'm very fired up about this resource and its implications. I'll probably end up disappointed but so be it.
  • Can I ask more about this Hymnal 1940. Nothing on Google Books looks precisely like it is the thing. Nothing on the Stamford renewal list shows up (good news?). Amazon carries a 1961 edition that again shows up not at all in Stamford. Must be the expansion of this 1916 edition.
  • Donnaswan
    Ask any Anglican friend. They will have a copy in their library.
    It was superceded by our new Hymnal which has much smaller print and harder to read in the dim light of a Vesper service. LOL
    Donna
  • I suspect that this is the renewal from 1968 (28 years from publication), meaning that this is lock up until we are all dead.The ICEL Resource Collection was published into the public domain, which is rather amazing. The first I've heard of this was yesterday. Obviously, getting it online is the step 1.
  • GavinGavin
    The Hymnal 1940 does not only contain public domain texts and music, but has many copyrighted things in it, so it can't be released online in full.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    As I alluded to, H-'40 is like a "stealth" Catholic hymnal. Faber and Caswall are not acknowledged as Fr. or even Rev. But their hymns are there. The "office hymns" are indexed by their Latin incipits as hymn-tune names. The accompaniments are simple and flow nicely (though maybe not as modal as "Nova Organi Harmonia").

If we Anglophone Catholics could only have a "grandfather" clause on the previously authorized English texts of the Ordinary, the H-'40 would be an incredible source for sung Masses. There have also been many, many "Communion Service" pieces written in the USA, GB, and Australia that could be used also. The only problem I can see in it, is that GIA, OCP, etc. composers would have a bunch of (mostly) dead composers to compete with!

Really, any good organist should have a copy, even in only for reference, of "The Hymnal 1940".
  • I am finalizing a project that will combine public domain hymns with hymns of today's writers and composer who are willing to share their works under Creative Commons.

All of the music will be online for download.

An entire hymnal will be available for download.

A sample hymnal is complete and went through the second editing just last night and a proof copy is being shipped to me.

You will be able to pick and choose and build a hymnal with just the music your congregation needs.

It is all free.

We have this set up so that if you want a hymnal but do not want to do the production work of getting it printed we will do that and we will be paid from production fees for that.

Otherwise eveything is free.

There is a great wealth of music out there that can be sung in the Catholic Church, an amazing amount of it now sung in the Protestant Church that they have claimed that actually was first published in Catholic hymnals and is truly Catholic in theology.

The 1940 hymnal contains much music. The sample hymnal delves into that fine hymnal.

Someone asked how one can determine if a hymn, its music and text, is public domain. There are ways to do a search, but most go to major hymnals, such as the Episcopal 1982, and check the copyright information there and then cross reference other major hymnals. That's the most practical way, since they have copyright departments that study this and they are scrupulous in the work.

If you want to have a look at a sample hymnal and understand that this is in the final proofing status, you may got to www.thecatholichymnal.com and, if you do find errors or anything you question, drop us an email, it would be appreciated.

[note that Be Thou My Vision is included...the current text is under copyright, but this uses a new versification from the original source which is being distributed by the author on www.cpdl.org - we, too, have been scrupulous]
  • This is wonderful but as I understand your terms of use, a pastor would not be able to bind it and sell it to parishioners or choir members. Is that what you intend to prevent?
  • RobertRobert
    The ICEL collection sounds like a great idea, in theory, billing itself as a collection of hymns in the public domain. But hang on a moment before you head for the photocopier - there is a notice at the front of the collection warning that the engravings of these public domain hymns are still copyrighted!
  • Well, there we go. Another one bites the dust
  • No, and let me know what I need to change to say that it is free to distribute and print and sell to parishioners!

This is all about permitting!
  • Ok, good. this is all your need: Creative Commons 3.0

I've sent you an email privately.
  • Creative Commons is now in place on the site, thanks.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I've had the "loose" version of the ICEL Recourse Collection for years. Right now it's buried away somewhere in unopened boxes of books and stuff from when I moved here a few years ago.

Chuck
  • francis
    the 1940 is my all time fave. stellar voice leading. nothing like it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My 1940 is always handy ... my favorite too.