Gregorian hymns in TODAY's Masses
  • Dear Friends,

1. How does one incorporate the great Gregorian hymns into today's liturgies on a weekly basis? For instance, Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris one associates exclusively with Novenas, Expositions, and the like. But it is "allowed" or "permitted" to do the Tantum Ergo or O Sal. as a Communion Hymn on any given Sunday? Or what about the Ave Maria (or Alma Redemptoris, or Tota Pulchra, or any of the great Marian hymns)? Can they simply be used as hymns or anthems during a Mass?

2. How does one incorporate these hymns in a way that won't scare the Pastor?

3. Is there an online resource for the actual choosing of said hymns? (For instance, you don't want to do De Profundis on Easter Sunday!)
  • Jscola30
    The issue of programming hymns like Tantum Ergo and O Salutaris has come up before. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, so long as the propers/themes of the day are respected as well. You may want to think of it as a 2nd communion hymn. However, if the day's readings are Euchaistic, then I don't see why not. As far as the Marian ones go, I believe there is the tradition of singing the the Marian antiphon of the season as a recessional. Remember too, certains feasts are good times to do these, Pentecost (Veni Sancte, Veni Creator), certainly the Eucharistic ones on Corpus Christi, feasts of Mary are perfect times for the Marian ones.

As far as #2, post communion and/or prelude may be the best way to at least begin, particulary if you're pastor isn't accostomed to chant.

#3 www.canticanova.com
  • I often go to a "young adult" Adoration gathering on Friday nights called "Spirit and Truth." Most of the music is your typical run-of-the-mill praise and worship, but there is some Gregorian Chant. We do the O Salutaris and Tantum Ergo, of course, and we conclude with the Simple Tone of the Salve Regina. I'd say that using the Salve Regina as the Recessional or Processional for an appropriate Marian feast is a good thing.
  • Regarding Marian hymns at communion, the Graduale Simplex provides in the appendix 4 alternatives for the proper communion antiphon/psalm: a setting of psalm 23 with specific antiphon, a setting of psalm 34 with antiphon, a setting of "Ubi caritas," or a setting of the Magnificat with antiphon.

The last two in particular are a great opportunity to introduce varied settings of those texts.