300 pages of Divine Office Plain Song (in English) now available!!!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Deacon Pat Cunningham, a friend of the CMAA, has just made available to the world a labor of love that he has worked on for more than 30 years.

It is available HERE.

This is page after page of the Divine Office in Gregorian Chant IN ENGLISH.

Corpus Christi Watershed is hosting his generous gift to the Church.
  • chonakchonak
    This is wonderful, Jeff! Thanks to Deacon Cunningham for sharing his work with so many!
  • very inspiring.
  • Richard R.
    I hate to be a pill (usually), and do not wish to denigrate this work, but the term "Gregorian Chant in English" seems to me a bit like "Coq au Vin with Spam". In both cases, there's no such thing, really.

"English adaptation of Gregorian Chant", while less glib, is at least more accurately descriptive (as would be "Spam in Wine", I suppose).
  • Jeff,

I added some bookmarks to the PDF. Would a copy be helpful?

I can't wait to give these a try, even if I'm just singing my myself.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Rebecca,

yes, if you want to send me the bookmarked one, I can replace it
    thanks!

jeff@ostrowski.cc
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    IT HAS BEEN POSTED WITH BOOKMARKS
  • "English adaptation of Gregorian Chant", while less glib, is at least more accurately descriptive (as would be "Spam in Wine", I suppose).

I prefer "...composed in the Gregorian Idiom" over "adaptation". I have seen many "English adaptations of Gregorian Chant" that might be likened to processed, canned ham. But those who possess the ability to compose well in the Gregorian idiom, and there seem to be very few, surely are adding to the Church's treasure stores are they not?
  • Richard R.
    To clarify, I am not commenting on the quality of the musical settings at all, just the language, which, if not-Latin, makes the chant not-Gregorian. "Adaptation" has a specific meaning, and applies when the original melody is used more or less intact for the English translation (with better or worse results, depending on the skill of the adaptor). Your "Gregorian idiom" would apply to new melodies, or even borrowed melodies with significant alterations, that are modal and use some of the characteristic gestures of the chant. At what point this all ceases to be Gregorian-related is a subjective call, I suppose. (I'm told rattlesnake tastes like chicken...)
  • CharlesW
    "That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

No, chicken tastes like chicken, and I hate it! :-(

The Divine Office is a wonderful resource, and thanks to Father Deacon Pat for sharing his work.
  • GavinGavin
    I tend to agree with Richard. "Gregorian adaptations" and such. "Gregorian chant" is a fixed repertoire, and there will be no more, just like there will be no more "Bach organ works". That said, I don't have a problem with "plainsong in English".
  • Claire H
    Is the Divine Office in English Chant as described at the initial post of this thread still available online? I don't seem to find it at the link provided.
  • Claire H
    Never mind: please disregard previous post. I found it on that page. :)