Junk messages in the forum?
  • chonakchonak
    Yesterday, some malefactor tried to break into the forum web server with an "embedded SQL" attack. It didn't succeed, but part of his attack involved sending inbox messages to several users: dozens of messages.

That caused the system to forward copies of those messages to the respective users by e-mail.

I've deleted the offending account, which (I expect) removed all the junk messages that he produced from your forum inboxes, and I put some additional measures in to block the attacker.

The e-mails you received at your own e-mail accounts are harmless and you can feel free to delete them.

I also got some nice cooperation from the company whose facilities he was using; they have shut his activity down, and the attack attempts stopped at 6:15 am EDT today (October 10, 2024).
  • ServiamScores
    Thank you for following up on this. I almost started a thread to ask what happened, but I presumed (correctly) that you would be aware and inform us. It was quite amazing, actually. I was mid conversation with some choir members and my phone went absolutely berserk from the emails. It was humorous, but when I glanced at them I could tell that something like this was going on. The only question was how long it would last. I was pleased to see the offending content gone only a short time later. Thanks for keeping this place going, Chonak.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen AngelaR