New Pipe Organ at St. Michael's Abbey
  • MarkB
    On September 29, the feast of St. Michael and the other archangels, St. Michael's Abbey in Orange County, CA celebrated Evening Prayer in their new abbey church. The architecture of the church is designed such that on that date, which is the abbey's patronal feast day, the sunlight through the rose window illuminates the altar during the singing of the Magnificat.

After Evening Prayer a concert was given on the abbey church's new pipe organ. The link below starts at the point where the organist, Lawrence Tudor Strohm, explains some of the features of the organ for the congregation below the loft. He then proceeds to play a piece by Bach. The rest of the concert features Strohm explaining more about the organ and playing different pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/live/uOSu7aTsaZc?t=4454s

I suspect that organ cost millions of dollars.
  • MatthewRoth
    The architect also designed the abbey of Sainte-Madeleine of Le Barroux and I believe the women’s monastery there.

Fantastic instrument, and the organ accompaniment is clearly in the Solesmes-Fontgombault style. I really like how the incipit is given so discreetly…
  • MarkB
    If you watched Evening Prayer, the organ used for that was the choir organ on the main level. The abbey church has two organs: a simple choir organ and the grand loft organ.

I have wondered whether the grand loft organ is extravagant for a monastic community whose liturgy consists of chanting psalms and Gregorian propers, much of it a cappella. The choir organ would have sufficed, and the grand organ will probably only be played for a recessional hymn and perhaps a postlude after Sunday Mass, with the occasional organ concert.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • francis
    For each his own. Nevertheless, congrats on the installation. I am not a fan of that style of instrument, but it is nice to see those that support the art and craft at such a high level. As you can hear, the thin speaking vocal sonority of this type of organ really does not lend itself well to the baroque idiom… much better for the French Romantics IMHO.

Ahhhh… the 543

THIS may be quintessential Bach…

And the following is as best I have heard it…

The organ
    The conservative and straightforward registration
    The interpretation
    The acoustic
    The tempo
    The reserved rubato

https://youtu.be/Z6CN0Pp2_nA?si=wBALtWYOzRYDnh1n

The distinct holding of the first note of each group of 16ths in the opening passages of the Preludium draws out the foundational melody while the arpeggios sweep the harmonics… magnificent
  • MatthewRoth
    If you watched Evening Prayer…

I mean, you don't have to be mildly condescending. A) it's something to be heard B) there's no good way to tell from the video because it's so long. I scrolled to almost the beginning of the office and listened (watched, even, on my little pocket device) and didn't notice that there was an organ usable in the choir.

I don't have a problem with Bach on French organs but de gustibus.
  • MarkB
    This link starts where Strohm refers to the choir organ on the main level and says a few words about how it came about that the abbey also installed the loft organ.

https://www.youtube.com/live/uOSu7aTsaZc?si=p2FNILVpbsbGQTwe&t=4240

You can see the choir organ in this screenshot

choirorgan.png
    1489 x 760 - 2M
  • MatthewRoth
    Yeah, so I'm going to be more than a little terse with you. Long video, people scroll to the good parts. Sorry, I don't have the time or energy. I wanted to, you know, actually hear the music.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • CharlesW
    Beautiful organ. Wish I had access to one like it.
  • MarkB is correct, there are two organs in the church, the smaller of which is up in the choir area (front of the church) and is used regularly for the office. The new Schoenstein “Tribune Organ” is the big one in the back, and is only used for solemnities and special occasions - not even every Sunday. I know Lawrence Strohm personally, he is the technician and tuner for my organ at Mission San Buenaventura.