Fr. Columba Kelly English Propers Cycle almost complete
  • You can now find all of Ordinary Time at sacredmusicproject.com. A few more feasts and solemnities have been added and few more additions remain before the cycle is complete.

Here's a preview:

• RagueneauRagueneau
    For anyone who cannot read neumes:

. . . here is an Audio Sample of what the above piece sounds like

To me, Adam, this seems like a truly amazing project !!!
    Where can I find more like this one?
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Adam and Fr. Columba. This is wonderful!
    And thank you Jeff. You are always there to help people.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    oh, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, Adam!

I was just about to e-mail you to beg, plead, and whine for the rest of the ordinary time propers.

:)
  • What is the full URL for chant booklet to which this one belongs?
  • Jeff O.-- Nice job on the recording! You said "Where can I find more like this one?" Are you referring to the introit posted above? If so, browse through some of the booklets at sacredmusicproject.com--Fr. Kelly's introits tend to be a bit more ornate such as the one above. The communions tend to be more syllabic, but the introits in particular seek to transmit the "essence" of the Gregorian introits in the English language. This example is an adaptation of the "Gaudeamus" for the Feast of the Assumption. Also, Jeff, I would like to chat with you more about this project and your projects, etc. Can you send me an email at adambartlettmusic (at) gmail (dot) com?

Jeff T.-- This is from the Assumption/Day booklet.

Sorry to all for the delay in getting all this posted. The good news is that once we hit this coming Advent we'll have the whole set of propers to use and plan as far ahead as we like! Myself included!
  • incantuincantu
    I would love to use these introits at least occasionally, but there is a general feeling at my parish that the congregation should sing during the entrance. Right now we use the antiphons from By Flowing Waters, and it has taken a while for the seasonal antiphons to become familiar. Singing a new antiphon every week (and the Kelly antiphons seem a bit more challenging) would be too much for the congregation at this point. Something that might work would be to have the choir sing the entrance antiphon with psalm verses being sung to a psalm tone by the entire congregation (perhaps in alternation with a cantor). Since there is to my knowledge no precedent for singing the Missal antiphons, I have no idea how to approach this performance practice issue. To begin with, where would one find the psalm verses? Would this practice be in violation of copyright for these newly composed melodies?

I would welcome ideas from others as to how this resource might best be put to use, perhaps alongside other resources such as the American Gradual, BFW, and of course the GR and GS. Obviously, the Offertory would need to be taken from elsewhere even if one chose to sing the Missal texts for the Entrance and Communion.
  • eft94530eft94530
    incantu,
    Get the verse citations from the Gregorian Missal
    http://www.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
    and look up the citation at the USCCB website.
    As you propose, the choir or cantors sing antiphon and verse,
    the people join in singing the doxology to the psalm tone
    which they will have heard for the verse,
    choir or cantors repeat antiphon.
  • ok, posted on NLM. I just love this stuff. what a thrill to be living now when all of this wonderful work is coming online.
  • This coming Sunday, after the Latin Communio & Psalm, we will use Fr. Kelly's setting in English, with Psalm (110)111. This is terrific, especially since we try
    to use the same text for the Communion procession at all the English masses.
  • There are many things that are wonderful about this whole approach. 1) propers, 2) vernacular, 3) new, 4) overcomes main objections to chant, 5) easy, etc. etc. For most any parish, these can be used and hardly anyone can figure out how to object to them. they introduce the sacred approach to music and prepare teh way for a Gregorian future.
  • miacoyne
    I agree. My schola started singing communio, and people were amazed how beautiful (and fittng ) it was. They never heard such as Propers.
    Next step is singing Introit. We'll probably sing it after the entrance/gathering hymn (make it short as much as I can). People will learn to actively listen and will save them to sing other parts more that are pertain to them.
  • bshonka
    I would encourage others to study chant with Fr. Columba. I just had a wonderful week at St. Meinrad (27 - 31 Jul 09). His approach is so thorough analyzing how the all the elements of the chant relate to the text being fundamental. Of course, studying from the ancient neums (St. Gall and Metz) he uses that as a basis, he then composes the chants in English. His knowledge of how the original Latin texts came to be is astonishing. The St Meinrad Kyriale is a good source to introduce chant to any parish. For those who enjoy chanting the Liturgy of the Hours, they have just published a wonderful "Liturgy of the Hours for Benedictine Oblates" This is available from their Scholar Shop: scholarshop@saintmeinrad.edu (812) 357-6571. Book is bonded leather in burgundy and uses the 4 week cycle for Lauds and Vespers. Their price is $20.00.