OCP rant time
  • tandrews
    Just venting that in 2020, OCP provided their keyboard accompaniment as a PDF, and have continued to offer R+A as a PDF (they call it an eBook, but it's ALSO printable), but with the 2025 revised accompaniment book it is no longer printable, and only available as an ebook for your electronic devices.

Sorry, I don't like taking pages out of the physical keyboard accompaniment book every week to prepare cantor/accompanist binders, risking tearing or losing said pages, and then be punished by OCP with having to repurchase a damaged page because accompanists or myself have wandered off with them. Being able to print straight from the PDF provides a clean copy every time.

Now I have to purchase a monthly subscription or something to have access to the printable accompaniment materials. OCP must be absolutely desperate for money if they're pulling this stunt.
  • trentonjconn
    Dump them! There are a ton of free resources out there for solid responsorial psalmody.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    I would never dare suggest screenshot functionality as a workaround for something like this. Never. Don't do it, Tom. Don't even think about it.
  • lmassery
    Echoing Nihil, It wouldn’t be right to take a screen shot (ctl plus prntscrn) to then paste it into ms paint and crop it into a document that you then print. It comes out slightly less defined, so definitely don’t do that.
  • Adjusting PDF permissions is not a difficult thing to do.
    Thanked by 2tandrews tomjaw
  • tandrews
    These comments seem to be of the same... Calibre©
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • MarkB
    Try either of these sites to unlock a locked pdf:

https://smallpdf.com/unlock-pdf

https://www.i2pdf.com/unlock-pdf

• TCJ
    I don't know about Adobe, but FoxitPDF has a image capture function that works well. Zoom in on the document so it's nice and clear, drag a box around what you want, paste it into a word processor and you've got it.
  • rvisser
    I made my own OCP "hymnal" by copying only the hymns that I use (from the giant binder) and putting it into one three-ring binder, in plastic sleeves. There were so many old copies of the accompaniment books in the loft that I don't even feel bad about this...
    Thanked by 2tomjaw DavidOLGC
  • MarkB
    I similarly made my own pull-book by printing from the pdf file only those OCP songs I use. That way, too, I can have a self-curated pull-book of all my parish repertoire from every source I have drawn from. So I'm not fussing with different sets of accompaniment books/binders, chant hymnals, octavos and Mass settings. My whole parish repertoire master pull-book is all in one fat 3" binder for convenience. If it's not in there, we don't sing it.

Why should I have to lug around or manage an OCP accompaniment book with over 800 pieces of music when I only use about 65 of them (the parish repertoire is about 120 pieces), and many of those "OCP" songs are merely public domain songs that OCP has engraved.
  • francis
    Locking a "licensed pdf" is a pee brain way to certainluy run your business into the ground.

As I was reading the OP, two words immediately popped into my mind, and then as I continued to trentonjconn - he reconfirmed my gut instinct on the same... DUMP THEM!
  • I would imagine OCP fears that people are buying one electronic copy and then printing many copies… or some other shenanigans of that sort. Oddly I can’t really see anyone much doing that with an accompaniment book, but I could see someone doing it with the choral books like Respond and Acclaim (which is everything in one).

For myself the primary value in an electronic copy of accompaniment books would be the ability to print to make an easy to use binder for guest musicians, or to email particular songs to them in advance. I have a lot of guest accompanists, so maybe mine is an unusual use case.
  • AnimaVocis
    I don't recommend taking the printed accompaniment and scanning the thing to your email as a pdf so it can be printed.

I also don't recommend buying the R&A pdfs and jailbreaking them online so that they can be printed. To do such a thing would be unthinkable!
    Thanked by 3tomjaw Liam tandrews
  • francis
    Lol.. I license my pdfs so you can print them for your church whenever you need them for the rest of your life. $1 for each choir member. Then I simply put my trust in everyone to be honest.

He who tries to save his life loses it.
  • PaxMelodious
    Does "thou shalt not steal" no apply to church music?
  • MarkB
    It's not stealing; it's modifying a file's permissions so you can print from it.

It's similar to making photocopies of a purchased octavo so you don't have to turn pages. You're modifying what you bought, not stealing it.
    Thanked by 3tandrews francis tomjaw
  • tandrews
    It's not stealing; it's modifying a file's permissions so you can print from it.

Exactly.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    Like I said… pee brain

= greed … driven by desperation
  • OCP isn't worth half the thought you're putting into it. The good hymns are neutered messes, there are plenty of garbage hymns, the fact that those Responsorial Psalms have been in for-pay-circulation for this long is one of the new Wonders of the Modern World, etc... DUMP THEM! :)
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Does "thou shalt not steal" no apply to church music?

@PaxMelodious I think you should purchase the number of copies you intend to use, no question -- this was just a question of functionality in terms of using those copies.

My understanding was that the same number of copies that are going to be used, are owned by @tandrews church -- but that putting the original out in the binder risked its walking away or getting lost (since the program relies on many accompanists / volunteers that can't be supervised at all times), which would result in a very steep replacement fee.

Also, the bigger issue seems to be a significant change in functionality that was not announced (I presume, based on this thread) prior to purchase / renewal, but only discovered after purchase was made and standard operating procedures were attempted on the new product. This is unfortunately a common groan in 2024... functionality ain't what it used to be.