Warm-ups that I have found useful as a non-degreed musician that never did school/university choir
  • MatthewRoth
    I know that many of you have one or more degrees, many years of singing before that, and are creative. Not all of us have those qualities!

I have done some investigation and have found some resources to start building my own bag of tricks. And I’m just getting started.

This file can be adapted to use with more chant or solfège (think Mocquereau and Ward exercises) if you’re directing the schola that only does chant (rare but not unheard of).

He also has a nice vowel exercise that can be adapted.

Someone once posted the vocalises from a Catholic choirmaster correspondence course. I do these on my own at home.

Three warm-ups (masses, motets) from Christopher Berry on the Square Notes podcast.

Of course, as I sing in a men’s schola, we do work on the transition from mixed to head voice to falsetto; so special exercises if you have them are welcome in addition to your other favorites; I know that a quick solfège exercise for a particular mode (the introit or maybe the hardest chant for the upcoming Sunday) can work wonders. And as to range, our group has become less afraid to try to start higher and for warm-ups to keep going higher (or to start higher and move down) working with the basic principles in mind (open throat, feeling the high note as easily as the same note an octave below— I got that from one of the recordings at the Internet Archive— and feeling it lower in the body)

I’m going to print off this PDF of exercises with explanations as well.

• francis
    Lotta cool stuff in here. I immediately employed some of these for my choir on Thursday.

The audio recordings (well worn LPs) is a fascinating find.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    Oh man, that’s great. I know that I can post about some of my pet things in a sort of excited way, but I always aim to be helpful.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw