simple Rounds (or similar) for youth schola
  • BGP
    Hello all, I need recommendations. Last year I started a Youth Schola in my parish. As a reward, at the end of rehearsals, I would have them sing something different with texture such as the attached round (from the Red Book of Montserrat) pieces that are a break from chant, useful in the choir loft, and simple enough for children.
  • Angela R just recently made a post about rounds being hosted at her website, you might check some of those out.
  • I have two: the "Shrovetide Pancake Round" and the canon "Infans Iratus Est." The Latin in the latter translates to: "The baby is angry, the baby is angry, O sad hour, O suffering! Peace to the parents, peace to the parents. Our help is in the Lord, Who made Heaven and earth."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Perhaps peep ((potentially) paperless) partially polyphonic part pieces promoted particularly by Music That Makes Community.

Song catalog here.
  • Jubilate Deo is a classic and very satisfying, especially if you can get six parts going.

Dona Nobis Pacem - good intro to Bel Canto style

Non nobis Domine- Byrd, you can do it as a round or teach the kids to do the “alto part” a 4th below (could also double as rep)

Seasonal ones like Prepare the Way of the Lord -Taizé, could also be fun.

Perhaps avoid Mozart’s Leck mich im Arsch…
  • All are available on IMSLP and CPDL (except the Taize which is through GIA, but is in most GIA hymnals)