More Solemn Preface Tones
  • godfrey
    Jeffrey suggested I post this here to see if anyone has more information:

A few years ago Fr. Z. posted a recording of the More Solemn Preface of Christmas on his blog. I truly appreciated this because attempting to learn how they went without a reference was a real challenge. I understand that the More Solemn Preface Tones were in an Appendix in the 1962 Missal, however with the advent of the reform they seemed to have been all but lost. The 3rd typical edition of the 2002 Missal only contains Ferial and Solemn Tones, and the Ordo Missae in Cantu, while setting all the Prefaces to chant, also only does so with the Ferial and Solemn Tones. I'm wondering if there is a sample or an example somewhere that explain how the More Solemn Form is achieved, I would very much like to apply it to some of the Prefaces of the OF. I hope that this isn't a part of out heritage that will be lost.
  • You can look at the thread here. The tones themselves can be found in the 1962 missal on page 1044.

I'm not aware of any translations of the prefaces set to tones, but it would be a great contribution!
  • godfrey
    Just so there is no confusion I was think of how to apply the Latin Prefaces of the 2002 Missale Romanum to the Preafatio Solemnior Preface Tones found at the back of the 1962 Missale Romanum.