Would If Ye Love Me be appripriate for a bridal procession?
  • Mailbox
    Novus Ordo, everything else has been chosen (I was able to choose a lot of chant which I am excited about)
    However, I am not sure what to choose for the bridal procession.
    I have a talented choir (not super experts but very solid) and we will have one rehearsal 2 hours before the wedding.

Would it be approrpriate? If not, do you have any suggestions?

God bless,
  • GerardH
    You could do a lot worse than If ye love me.

If you are looking for alternatives, might I suggest something with text drawn from the Song of Songs? I have used Healey Willan's Rise up, my love for weddings previously, and on one occasion Durufle's Tota pulchra es for a bridal entrance.
  • trentonjconn
    You would almost certainly have to cut the piece short if it's just being used to cover the bride's procession, so be aware of that. Is there an organ available? Organ processionals have a nice grand feel to them, and they can usually be fitted fairly precisely to the length of time the bride takes to get where she's going. If Ye Love Me is a beautiful piece, but it doesn't strike me as having the oomph one usually is going for in a procession. Just my 2 cents though, it certainly is a lovely piece.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not taking the repeat in If Ye Love Me will shorten the piece by 1/3 ... to about 1m30s.
    Thanked by 1Mailbox
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    Tallis's anthem would be quite appropriate for a wedding. We all sing this anthem every year, and know that is a lesson to all of us to keep the Lord's commandments in order that the Comforter will come to us. How much more appropriate is it to sing this message to bride and groom so that they will jointly strive to follow the Lord's commandments throughout their married life, and do so with joy and mutual love, and thereby be jointly enveloped in the boundless love of the Father.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Mailbox
    Awesome thank you so much.
    I think that for the procession of everyone but the bride, I will have them sing if ye love me and then for the bridal procession sing O Father All Creating.

Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • GambaGamba
    It might draw a chuckle from those unaware of the context of the text.

If ye love me [the bride], keep my commandments [to take out the trash and come straight home after work]…..