Is this organ piece any good?
  • A few months ago I wrote the attached piece for fun. Now I'm trying learn a handful of simple organ pieces to have some basic repertoire, that way I can fill in when needed (I'm more of an aspiring organist at this point than anything else).

Now, what I wrote is easier to play than most of the other stuff I can find that would sound similar, and it fits the bill well for our parish's style (mini fanfare then a steady march, our Pastor likes something brisk to walk out to). The piece is probably a better prelude than postlude actually.

But what I'm wondering is whether or not it is actually half decent organ music, or if I shouldn't waste my time learning it, or if there's simple changes I could make to improve it. I had started learning it, but I thought I should get an opinion on how passable it really is first.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The consecutive octaves in mm 9,10,11 could be considered a fault, but if it's fitting your bill who am I to judge. You really ought to have used an accidental C-natural in m22ff though: key signature changes usually require a double bar, but this isn't really a modulation.
    Thanked by 1OMagnumMysterium